Pollution?

Started by The13thRonin, August 20, 2015, 04:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The13thRonin

We could have some power options and worktables that caused pollution that killed nearby farmland and trees?

Mikhail Reign

Someone been playin Factorio?

The13thRonin

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on August 20, 2015, 04:30:07 AM
Someone been playin Factorio?

You know it!

<3 Factorio,
<3 Rimworld

DNK

Yes, I like this, especially if combined with a smoke system as being discussed in another /suggestions/ thread. Of course, pollution should also have an effect on animals/people too.

Toggle

Could probably be modelled off the fallout event, as you get sicker the more you're in it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mr.Cross

My only question to this is how exactly would we get the pollution, as of right now we only have green power options, So are we talking about pollution from an off screen source, feco-matter pollution? If this is going to be some off screen happenistance I'd rather we not have it. As I would like to be able to manage it, like in factorio. 
Claims to know most things.

Toggle

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 20, 2015, 04:43:02 PM
My only question to this is how exactly would we get the pollution, as of right now we only have green power options, So are we talking about pollution from an off screen source, feco-matter pollution? If this is going to be some off screen happenistance I'd rather we not have it. As I would like to be able to manage it, like in factorio.

Oh true. Forgot the fact we'd never really have to do with pollution unless it's an outside source, and it would still have to be a lot. Also as a note: The volcanic ash event should hurt your lungs.

The13thRonin

That's why new power options need to be made such as coal burners that make up early game power.

Toggle

Quote from: The13thRonin on August 20, 2015, 06:12:53 PM
That's why new power options need to be made such as coal burners that make up early game power.

Yeah, but I doubt unless you had 20 of em they would really effect colonists, or if they worked around it like an AOE.

Menuhin

I wouldn't really want to see this added, partly because of complexity/other things can be worked on.  But the other reason is it really doesn't make much sense, pollution really only starts to become a problem when it is a large excessive strain on the environment and its not very realistic.  An average colony of <20 is not going to generate enough pollution to pose serious health hazards even if all power was supplied by a not implemented coal generator, I doubt it'd even be realistic in the mega colonies with 100+ colonists.

Pretty much the only way i could see pollution being realistic is from an outside source which Rimworld supposedly being sparsely populated also doesn't make a lot of sense.  And to a large degree you could say we already have something similar to pollution with toxic fallout.

The13thRonin

Quote from: Menuhin on August 21, 2015, 02:28:38 AM
I wouldn't really want to see this added, partly because of complexity/other things can be worked on.  But the other reason is it really doesn't make much sense, pollution really only starts to become a problem when it is a large excessive strain on the environment and its not very realistic.  An average colony of <20 is not going to generate enough pollution to pose serious health hazards even if all power was supplied by a not implemented coal generator, I doubt it'd even be realistic in the mega colonies with 100+ colonists.

Pretty much the only way i could see pollution being realistic is from an outside source which Rimworld supposedly being sparsely populated also doesn't make a lot of sense.  And to a large degree you could say we already have something similar to pollution with toxic fallout.

That would be true if we were talking about Earth's atmosphere.

But we're not...

The atmospheric pressure could be much lower.

Think about it like dropping a 250ML glass of petrol into the ocean vs dropping dropping a 250ML glass of petrol into your own morning coffee. One is going to effect you much more than the other.