[W|0.12.906] Priorities get ignored

Started by Noughtilus, August 23, 2015, 01:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noughtilus

I seem to constantly get people doing jobs that are lower on the priorities list than other jobs I DESPERATELY NEED DONE. For example, no one's building the food dispenser and walls, but they're happy to run around mining or hauling everything even though everyone's construction is set to 1 and mining is 3 (and resources are available).

Any suggestions? Have I missed some update that meant people could do whatever they felt like?

Aaaaaaand as I write this my otherwise successful colony got killed by 5 wild boars. Time to start again.

Thanks, Tynan.

lt_halle

1. This sounds stupid but make sure you have someone who actually has construction ticked as a job. I had someone starve to death once because they were wounded and I didn't realize that no other colonists had the doctoring job checked so no one fed him.

2. Disable all jobs BUT construction for one person. This forces them to construct it. If they're still idle after that, then something is obviously wrong.

Noughtilus

Quote from: lt_halle on August 23, 2015, 03:17:34 AM
make sure you have someone who actually has construction ticked as a job

I said that construction was set to '1'.

Quote from: lt_halle on August 23, 2015, 03:17:34 AM
Disable all jobs BUT construction for one person. This forces them to construct it. If they're still idle after that, then something is obviously wrong.

That kinda defeats the point of being able to prioritise jobs.

Side note: all my colonists just went to bed while the room was on fire.

Dr. Z

Can the colonists reach the building sides?
Are they maybe restricted to a zone and the building sides are outside the zone?
Are the materials maybe forbidden?
If nothing of that helps you can select a colonist and right click the blueprint to force construction. If this works, somethings bugged in the priorities. If it doesn't, something prevents them from building itself, the text might also give you a hint to whats wrong.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Noughtilus

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 23, 2015, 05:46:02 AM
Can the colonists reach the building sides?
Are they maybe restricted to a zone and the building sides are outside the zone?
Are the materials maybe forbidden?
If nothing of that helps you can select a colonist and right click the blueprint to force construction. If this works, somethings bugged in the priorities.

Building sites are right next to them.
No zone restrictions at all.
Materials are in the material storage area, and spread around the place.
Materials not forbidden.

Forcing them to do it usually makes them do one step of the process and then just walk away and do something else.

When this happens these things do eventually get built, but often after just forcing someone repeatedly to do everything. Seems to happen with other tasks apart from building as well, that's just when it was most clearly an issue.

FMJ Penguin

^
^
Yeah, that needs to change....., shift-click to force that entire project to be carried out unless it's life or death to do some other action.

The "baseline" AI should be there as a safety net... not get in the stinking way while you play. Which sadly it's doing all the damn time. Bit too much simulation in this simulation  ;)
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Stonn

Maybe the priorities are not taken into account unless their time restriction is set to Work. Look at your daily schedule - maybe it is mostly set to do Anything, stead of Work.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Stonn on August 23, 2015, 07:49:25 AM
Maybe the priorities are not taken into account unless their time restriction is set to Work. Look at your daily schedule - maybe it is mostly set to do Anything, stead of Work.

That would make sense if the colonists were sleeping or doing joy activities instead, but the original post said they were doing other work with a lower priority ("mining or hauling"). You normally shouldn't have to use the "work" time, and priorities should always work. "Anything" just means they aren't restricted to work and can also sleep or have fun if they need to.

It really does sound like you're having some bug or problem with priorities.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Dr. Z

Quote from: Noughtilus on August 23, 2015, 06:05:47 AM
Forcing them to do it usually makes them do one step of the process and then just walk away and do something else.

Ok but CAN you force them to do it. Because if so we clearly have a bug with priorities. If not it might be something else.
Prasie the Squirrel!

magicbush

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 23, 2015, 10:38:37 AM
Quote from: Noughtilus on August 23, 2015, 06:05:47 AM

Ok but CAN you force them to do it. Because if so we clearly have a bug with priorities. If not it might be something else.

He stated he could later in that same post by continually forcing them. I have noticed the same issue as well honestly, and just turned off everything but construction for one of my colonists which is obviously not intended. This should probably be reported to Tynan.

Dr. Z

It wasn't clear to me if that was general speaking or related to the specific case. I will write a bug report.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Dr. Z

This bug didn't happened to me but is described in this thread.

The auhtor says that his colonists have a pritority one in building and lower priorities in the other tasks, yet they refuse to build something, only if every other task is disabled. The colonists have access to the building site, materials are existing and unforbidden, time table is set to anything and ther're no zone restrictions. He can also force them to build, which leads to the assumption that it's a priorities bug.
He also says that he observed this with other tasks, but building was the clearest.

Steps to reproduce:
- Place a arbitrary blueprint and provide resurces
- Set building at priority 1 and other tasks at lower priorities

Expected: Colonist builds
Reported: Colonist does job with lower priority

Now disable every other task besides building. The colonist should now build.
Prasie the Squirrel!

wildeaboutoscar

I'm having issues with being able to force prioritise hauling of items. It says it's forbidden but it's ticked and the colonist is a hauler.

Is there a limit on hauling or something? There seems to be enough space in my stockpiles.

wildeaboutoscar

Quote from: wildeaboutoscar on August 23, 2015, 12:16:22 PM
I'm having issues with being able to force prioritise hauling of items. It says it's forbidden but it's ticked and the colonist is a hauler.

Is there a limit on hauling or something? There seems to be enough space in my stockpiles.

Actually, never mind. I'm an idiot.

I forgot that they were restricted.

xlockeed

What alpha build?
Any mods running?
Restrictions, what do you have them all set to for the entire day if anything? Work / Joy / Anything
If a12, are you playing a new map or old save / map created prior?
Work overview sounds like you have everyone prioritized.

Op needs to give more details then what is let on.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.