Next update?

Started by Bobthefarmer1, December 30, 2013, 06:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote from: palandus on December 30, 2013, 07:42:26 PM
Which answer do you prefer:

Short Answer: Soon (TM)

Long Answer: No one knows until Tynan posts something about it. The last time he mentioned it was that it would be sometime in January 2014. Other than that, can't help you.

Personally, I prefer the cryptic answer: "When the red moon dances and the songbirds go silent, then your update shall be delivered."

Tynan

Quote from: ( Tchey ) on January 04, 2014, 08:58:47 AM
I hope the mod support will be good, because the game at the stage mainly lack of content, and even if the upcoming update seems nice, it's not about real content (portraits, sounds... are not really gameplay content).

Well, those are just the things that are easy to post on the blog. Don't worry, I've been adding gameplay functionality as well.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

laser50

I'm hoping deeper research so we can unlock better stuff like batteries, solar panels, perhaps new ways of power..

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tynan on January 02, 2014, 04:21:33 PM
Quote from: kymlaar on January 02, 2014, 04:04:48 PM
Quote from: Semmy on December 31, 2013, 04:31:41 AM
I doubt it will take long.
There is a nice list of things to come in the next update.
Because of the holidays its going a bit slower family blablabla d-;

But i know that tynan is working hard on some much anticipated features.

Any hints as to those things and features?  I'm drooling a bit just waiting for it.  :D

Some modding, though not a complete system. Not sure what exactly will be moddable on the first pass.

Stockpile storage; no more magical StarCraft-style resource pool in the sky. E.g. your food can burn, and you need somewhere to store it.

Complete redo on character graphics.

Storyteller portraits.

Some early snatches of Alistair's sounds.

And, as always, shiny new bugs!

Neat!
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

SourceVG

Will the next update be on Steam?

Tynan

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tynan on January 05, 2014, 10:02:35 PM
Quote from: SourceVG on January 05, 2014, 08:56:18 PM
Will the next update be on Steam?

No, Steam will be later.

What kind of threats do you plan on adding later in the games development? Any chance of diseases, bounty hunters or other things like that?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

palandus

People keep talking about how there will be no aliens and then others say there will be aliens. Whats the truth in the matter, Tynan? Will there be parasitic aliens like Xenomorphs or "The Thing" in the game? Or no aliens in general? Also, you mentioned a while back that Firefly was an inspiration... ever intend to include Reavers into the game (these would be a bit more depraved and nasty than regular raiders)?

Tynan

Quote from: palandus on January 06, 2014, 01:16:56 PM
People keep talking about how there will be no aliens and then others say there will be aliens. Whats the truth in the matter, Tynan? Will there be parasitic aliens like Xenomorphs or "The Thing" in the game? Or no aliens in general? Also, you mentioned a while back that Firefly was an inspiration... ever intend to include Reavers into the game (these would be a bit more depraved and nasty than regular raiders)?

There are no aliens. See the docs for more info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

I can't put Reavers in, exactly, for copyright reasons, but you could have the idea of a more psychotic kind of raider. However, there are some logical issues with this. Reavers always bothered me because their style of existence obviously isn't sustainable as an ongoing subculture. What do they eat? Where do they get fuel? How do they maintain and run complex machinery like starships? If we did psychotics they'd probably be smaller, temporary groups of recently-formed crazypeople.

Also, let's please keep these topics on their topic. If you want another question answered, start another topic!

Untrustedlife

I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

Daisil

Quote from: Tynan on January 06, 2014, 01:31:31 PM
Quote from: palandus on January 06, 2014, 01:16:56 PM

There are no aliens. See the docs for more info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

I can't put Reavers in, exactly, for copyright reasons, but you could have the idea of a more psychotic kind of raider. However, there are some logical issues with this. Reavers always bothered me because their style of existence obviously isn't sustainable as an ongoing subculture. What do they eat? Where do they get fuel? How do they maintain and run complex machinery like starships? If we did psychotics they'd probably be smaller, temporary groups of recently-formed crazypeople.

Also, let's please keep these topics on their topic. If you want another question answered, start another topic!

They eat people, they're crazy and lost their humanity, but clearly still have the knowledge to modify their ships to run them to the point of not being safe to themselves. Also, they mounted and use weapons such as EMP weapons that wouldn't typically be used
Any fuel/food they need that isn't from what they raid could easily be from the planet that they were from. It had food/fuel for 1000 x the number of reavers that were made, so during their reaver lifespans, it's possible for them to not starve to death. Though they know where planets are if they get hungry.
That being said, reavers are not self sustaining and should die out someday.
Unless, perhaps, they can re-engineer the pax and gas another planet.
Just a thought.

Ozymandias

So....there isn't the slightest hint when the next update is going to be revealed?
Well hopefully the game will have much more content then, because it's terribly lacking.

Craft the World would be a good game to study in this respect.

Galileus

Quote from: Ozymandias on January 12, 2014, 02:12:51 PM
So....there isn't the slightest hint when the next update is going to be revealed?
Well hopefully the game will have much more content then, because it's terribly lacking.

Craft the World would be a good game to study in this respect.

Release will be in next two weeks up to a month from now, from what Tynan said.

As for CtW... one, it was greenlighted in August, so it has a huge head start. Two, from what I can see it suffers from typical for these games "+1 = new" syndrome. I really hope we'll get something more interesting that "a wild solar flare starts! now a completely different raging solar flare begins! This one is different too, because it's a mega solar flare!" type of new content. And I'm pretty darn sure this will be the case. But these things take time, and as such, shouldn't be expected of a very early pre-alpha builds.

The game is not "lacking", it's "incomplete" ;)

nnescio

Side note: CtW's AI makes DF dorfs look like total geniuses.

Tynan

CtW - never heard of it, I'll have to check it out, thanks.