Farewell, my chinchilla fur industry.

Started by Mihsan, August 25, 2015, 02:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihsan

So I had this small chinchilla shed. It started just with two animals, that I bought for fun. It took me several years to bring the count up to 18. I appreciated them more than anything on my base.

And then those raiders came with mortars. They shot a few times, but I charged forward and killed them all fast and simple.

But when I started to assess the damage I saw this. My poor little animals.

Pain, agony and mechanoids.

FMJ Penguin

awww

Only took one shell eh? That's just mean....
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Mihsan

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on August 25, 2015, 03:02:24 PM
awww

Only took one shell eh? That's just mean....

I think, that it was one shell. Those chinchillas are so weak: they have something about 3 HP on each body part. There was not even single one injured, just straight dead ones with multiple limbs and organs destroyed. But at least 6 have survived.

Jamini

Poor 'lil guys.

Whelp, more work for your butcher.

Mihsan

Ow, come on! Again? Really?!

So I loaded the game after some time and just forgot that I had pirates event when I saved it. And all my colonists was far away killing mechanoids. And my turrets was offline. Well... They came straight after my chinchillas.

And wow: they can defend themselves. They have killed 3 of those bandits before I came for help.

A_Soft_Machine_Man

Note to self, beware chinchillas should they go Manhunter.

Nickvr628

Raiders killing chinchillas? That is like killing younglings!

Mihsan

I will continue my story.

1) My dream came true: chinchilla fur factory is working!

2) Was too much of them (200+ at some point). Had to sell or butcher them all. I hate chinchillas now.

3) Yay! Now we are breeding boomrats! Gonna raise an army!

4) Well there was toxic fallout and my hay production stoped. And there was no other food. And then one boomrat died of starvation.

5) And then then started a chain reaction. Room temperature 1900°C. Was lucky that those mortars and shells did not explode.

6) Barn #1 demolished. Some people got heavy injuries and my prisoner nearly died. No more boomrats in my colony.

Bonus:
While my barn was burning I had melee raiders event and I did not saw the message. All my other (non-boomrats) animals was clustered on small temporary pasture on the edge of the map (because main pasture was completely eaten). I noticed what is happening only when raiders was finishing my last animals. And they was doing it damn quickly and efficiently!

agodlikeme

those small critters are deadly in a pack. they attack so fast that colonist would get stun locked and knocked down in shock within seconds. I've had a manhunter pack of mosquitoes, there were hundreds of them because I guess these small animals are "worth less points" or something.

MisterVertigo

I'm sorry for your misfortune, but it is an entertaining story!

BTW, don't quit your day job and become a farmer. :)
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

jamesinar

The boomrat farm ended the only way it could. It is a pity you couldn't get all of them trained for release though.

TwixFunSize

Mihsan

Quote from: agodlikeme on September 28, 2015, 03:38:02 PM
those small critters are deadly in a pack. they attack so fast that colonist would get stun locked and knocked down in shock within seconds. I've had a manhunter pack of mosquitoes, there were hundreds of them because I guess these small animals are "worth less points" or something.

In fact I have tested them on mechanoids and pirates. Yep, they are deadly as hell against soft targets, but one mechanoid with inferno canon will kill them all.

Quote from: MisterVertigo on September 28, 2015, 04:52:18 PM
I'm sorry for your misfortune, but it is an entertaining story!

BTW, don't quit your day job and become a farmer. :)

I want to grow some large animals next. Maybe cows or even elephants.  ;D

Quote from: jamesinar on September 28, 2015, 09:40:37 PM
The boomrat farm ended the only way it could. It is a pity you couldn't get all of them trained for release though.

In fact most of them was trained and I wanted to use them ASAP. But there just was no raids for a pretty long time.

Quote from: TwixFunSize on September 28, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
Are you a twitch streamer?

Nope.

Facepunch

don't breed boomrats. I learned that one. I built a wooden house, and had an attached wooden barn. I bred boomrats. That's past-tense, for a good reason.

Also, your sidewalk's filthy.

rexx1888

i feel like a boomrat farm would be rad if planned appropriately...