A few thoughts on the new version

Started by Trish42, August 26, 2015, 06:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trish42

Loving the new husbandry aspect as well as the new traits, room requirements and new items! Loving the new medicine icons for limiting medicine quality, maybe food icons as well? :) Being able to uninstall stuff is awesome as well!

Here's a couple of my thoughts on the game:

1. Butchering/Brewing as separate work assignments from Cooking
I'd love to see butchering added as a separate skill/work assignment - having trouble getting the main cook to make fine meals before simple meals if there's meat available (even if it is unprocessed meat at the moment, i.e. animal corpses), so I'd like to be able to set butchering as a priority over cooking, and also maybe brewing as a separate option (so that one pawn can be set brewing as a priority). I realize that draws the question of separate skills... but maybe one skill (cooking) can affect all those three work assignments for now (same as is with crafting). Also I must note that I did enjoy the separation of smithing and tailoring from crafting a while back, really useful!

2. More racks
Loving that you can place clothing in racks now! I liked it when the equipment rack had added some beauty points. I'd love to see a similar rack for food, medicine, even artillery shells and having a beauty effect again - then it would really be a useful item as well, eg. improved beauty around mortars besides it preventing shells from deterioration outside, adding beauty to the pantry - all that meat that gives off -30 in beauty - besides produce is usually stored on shelves :) - maybe some day have a "tall rack " that is also on two tiles but can accept a 2 times larger quantity so as to save space. That would be rather useful and improve the quality of life for the colonists through beauty. And also as I heard mentioned before - a through :) basically the same food rack that accepts only hay (and has a 2 times lower deterioration rate perhaps) and one can be set for meat for the wargs.

3. Animal filth
My cleaners are having a terrible time cleaning through all the extra dirt created from animals, it's much harder to keep the colony clean and nice. Maybe it can be collected and used for manure which can boost the crop yield a bit.

4. Preference for better beds
When choosing a bed, a colonist chooses at random, I kind of assumed they would choose a better bed, especially medical beds, I'm having to set beds in my sickbay to non-medical so that the colonist would choose the best one available - a hospital bed (good) set to a vitals monitor, instead of an ordinary (poor) bed which is set to medical.

5. Crematoriums
A checkbox or some sort of distinction to accept only dessicated animals would be a nice addition. Crematoriums set to accept desiccated animal corpses from 0%-99% sometimes won't accept 99% or below, but when set to 0-100 will accept 99% corpses. Haven't been able to reproduce the bug yet, but it's been there for a while now. Currently I'm having trouble to get the crematoriums to burn only rotted or dessicated animal corpses and not the ones that can be butchered for normal meat.

All in all, the game keeps getting better and better! Keep up the awesome work! :)

christhekiller

Yo friend, since the latest version has gone public you should probably post this in the general discussion or suggestions <3

Tynan

Thank you for the feedback Trish :)

I'll move this to General.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Panzer

Yeah alpha 12 is great, more events, more everything ;D. What I loved the most were the named animals, some really funny names there (my male cobra named Teresa ^^), as well as the quality level of furniture, a high construction skill now really matters to get get those reduced rest times for your pawns. The non-carnivorous animal manhunter events are quite funny too, manhunting muffalos were though and luckily I stopped that boomalope horde before it reached my base, otherwise I would ve had to sit this one out or watch my base going up in flames :P

Speaking of animals, can we get food consumption included in the growth stages? My 3 days old baby warg eats as much meat as the full grown mommy warg.

What i didnt like was the animals tab, if you get like 20+ animals, management soon gets tedious. I love that you can drag the mouse over areas to quickly assign them, but setting masters is a pain in the ass.

I got an idea how to better organize that list, so I ll just write it down here.
First of all, species groups which are collapseable and a button to set a general master and area. After that I thought a table with 3 columns would be nice, for babies, juvenile and adult. That way you can keep track of population, keep the young ones inside during attack, etc...

Also, something to see gender (gender symbols? pink/ light blue names?) would be nice, incase we dont want the critters to breed anymore.
I did a rough shop of what I imagined, feel free to say what you think about it or post what you guys imagined.

[attachment deleted due to age]

skullywag

Age on that screen woukd be helpful as well.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Panzer

Hmm general ages are covered by the 3 columns, I guess what you mean are the extreme cases, for animals that have just been born or are about to kick the bucket because of life expectancy?

Good idea with newborns, they could have like that yellow flashing you get from the tutorial helper for certain tabs, until you selected them once. But I dont see the point for old ages, unless you re breeding boomalopes or boomrats ;D

skullywag

Age isnt on the "Animals" tab of the menu is it, am i being blind?

Panzer

Ah I thought you were reffering to my suggestion with "that screen".

No, age isnt covered in the animals overview tab, if thats what you mean.

Shinzy

Quote from: Trish42 on August 26, 2015, 06:03:48 AM
Loving the new husbandry aspect as well as the new traits, room requirements and new items! Loving the new medicine icons for limiting medicine quality, maybe food icons as well? :) Being able to uninstall stuff is awesome as well!

Here's a couple of my thoughts on the game:

1. Butchering/Brewing as separate work assignments from Cooking
I'd love to see butchering added as a separate skill/work assignment - having trouble getting the main cook to make fine meals before simple meals if there's meat available (even if it is unprocessed meat at the moment, i.e. animal corpses), so I'd like to be able to set butchering as a priority over cooking, and also maybe brewing as a separate option (so that one pawn can be set brewing as a priority). I realize that draws the question of separate skills... but maybe one skill (cooking) can affect all those three work assignments for now (same as is with crafting). Also I must note that I did enjoy the separation of smithing and tailoring from crafting a while back, really useful!

5. Crematoriums
Currently I'm having trouble to get the crematoriums to burn only rotted or dessicated animal corpses and not the ones that can be butchered for normal meat.

With crematoriums you can set a stockpile nearby that only accepts rotten animals
and set the crematorium bill burn every animal but set the ingredient search range to only cover the nearby stockpile
It works like a charm for what you wish to do!

and 1. I love the idea
I really want there to be some way to separate tasks within a job
I don't want my "nurses" to perform surgeries
and have different cooks for different tasks much like how you're saying!

I guess you could set up some clever zoning for the cooks but still
I'd prefer being able to separately prioritize the different tasks under the main skill

skullywag

Also, i could really do with a keyboard shortcut or UI button to cycle to next animal as we have for colonists.

delraith

Quote from: Shinzy on August 28, 2015, 08:03:34 AM
With crematoriums you can set a stockpile nearby that only accepts rotten animals
and set the crematorium bill burn every animal but set the ingredient search range to only cover the nearby stockpile

and 1. I love the idea
I really want there to be some way to separate tasks within a job
I don't want my "nurses" to perform surgeries
and have different cooks for different tasks much like how you're saying!

I guess you could set up some clever zoning for the cooks but still
I'd prefer being able to separately prioritize the different tasks under the main skill

That cremation idea, simple yet clever. Wish I thought of that a while ago.

It would be nice if surgeries had a way to choose highest doctor skill or have a skill floor associated to them. Hard to do since they are high priority ventures. I suppose splitting the skill up is a solution.

Trish42

Thanks for the tip! Will try it out! The thing was that a toxic fallout killed all the animals on the map (except the tamed ones under a roof) and there were so many dessicated animals lying all around the map! Wanted to have one guy just clean the place up.

On a side note, I forgot to say that the new songs are great! :)