Any Interesting Books?

Started by TechnicPyro, January 05, 2014, 03:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaixareku

something good like love story?
:)

Darker

I rarely came across a love-story book, that's just about lovestory.

However, many books are romantic, though lovestory is not the reason they were written. If I were to stick to the books I've talked about:
Almost whole "For whom the bell tolls" is about escalating relationship between the main character and one of the partisans/refugees that are hiding him in their cave.
In the crime and punishment the young Raskolnikov fells in love with a very poor woman. In the very end, she accompanies him to the exile at Siberia.
But these are of course way more serious lovestories than the thick purple books for 14yr olds :) And I must disappoint you - no horny vampires involved.

But if you want a real, long, exhausting lovestory, there is one old one:

Tristan et Isolde by M. Joseph Bédier

• I believe everyone knows this book from school, provided you paid attention. The story is about a young knight, that promises to fetch his king a wife - beautiful Isolde. On the ship back, he happens to accidentally drink a love potion, that forces the love between Tristan and Isolde. Howeve, promise one given by a knight must be kept, so he brings Isolde to the king Mark, with a broken heart. That's just the very beginning of the story.

One famous:
Romeo and Juliet by guess who

• Only thing that bothers me that Mercutio died so soon. He was the only character that I liked in that story.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Sirhc

Guards! Guards! by Terry Prachett. I can't remember the last time I laughed till I shed a tear while reading.

Jones-250

Ringworld by Larry Niven
In 2850 Louis Wu is celebrating his 200th birthday and is bored. He is confronted by an alien, a Pierson's Puppeteer, and is offered one of three open positions on an exploration voyage beyond Known Space.
Childhood's End by Arthus C. Clarke
Vast alien spaceships suddenly position themselves above Earth's capitals. The aliens announce their intentions of assuming control in order to prevent humanity's extinction. Peace, but under Overlord control.
Letters from the Earth (mostly) by Mark Twain
A posthumously published collection of essays and short stories, mostly humorous in content.
The sniper manual the Defence Forces Education Development Centre
Only in Finnish, sorry.
Instructions how to use, repair and maintain your "born-in-the-wild"-marksman.
Available on-line: Here

Shhh. Over here! That´s not there, got it?
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Semmy

Chris Wooding - Tales of the Ketty Jay
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Vagabond

Hello!

This is right down my alley. I love reading!

Jennifer Roberson
Chronicles of the Cheysuli: About shapechangers; they are wrongly persecuted.
Sword-Dancer Saga: About a professional swordsman from the desert that meets a girl that gets him wrapped up in a crazy adventure.

Deborah Chester
Dain Series
The Sword, The Ring, and The Chalice Trilogy
The Pearls and The Crown

Alan F. Troop
Dragon Saga: Dragons who can take human form. Set in (mostly) modern time Miami.

Ursula K. Le Guin
Earthsea Chronicles

Anne Rice
The Vampire Chronicles

George R. R. Martin
A Song of Ice and Fire

Terry Brooks
Shannara Series

Terry Goodkind
The Sword of Truth

Christopher Paolini
The Inheritance Cycle

Robert Jordan
The Wheel of Time

Jean M.Auel
Earth's Children Series: It's historical speculative fiction, but reads like fantasy to me.

Lois Lowry
The Giver: Sci-fi, about a dystopian future.

Rodman Philbrick
The Last Book in the Universe: sci-fi, about an post-apocalyptic future, with dystopian elements

J. R. R. Tolkien
The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings: Mind, his dwarves and elves are very different from even their own counterparts in the movies. It was from a different time. All in all, the books are better. However, I do prefer modern interpretations of dwarves and elves.

R. A. Salvatore
Find a book and read it. All his books are good. They all tend to be AT LEAST trilogies, so make sure you take a moment to figure out what you should be reading first. I'd start with either "Homeland", if you want to get into the story of his longest running character, or "The Sword of Bedwyr" if you wanna get into a stand-alone trilogy. (based in the Forgotten Realms Dungeons & Dragons setting)

Dragonlance & Forgotten Reams(Dungeons and Dragons Settings)
They aren't authors, but settings of books. Look into them, because I've never come across a book in those settings that I didn't instantly love.

Glenn Cook
Black Company

John Flanagan
Ranger's Apprentice Series
Brotherband Series

Ken Follett
Kingsbridge Series: It's historical fiction, but it filled my fantasy reading needs.

Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont
Malazan Books (based in their GURPS RPG setting)

Anne McCaffrey
Dragonriders of Pern Series

Chinua Achebe
Things Fall Apart: more historical fiction

Lynn Abbey
Sanctuary

Cecilia Dart-Thornton
The Bitterbynde Trilogy

Diana Pharaoh Francis
Path Trilogy

L. J. McDonald
The Slyph Series

Whelp, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Michael

Klavain

Revelation Space Series by Alastair Reynolds is my personal favorite.

Been reading the Star Force Series by B. V. Larson, not very deep,  and the technology is not as "plausible"  as Revelation Space...  But still an engaging series.

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson is one of my favorites, and The Shaman by the same author I thought was excellent.

The Martian by Andy Weir, I listened to the audiobook of this one recently and I couldn't stop until finished 10 hours and 30 minutes later,  it was absolutely fantastic.

I could go on forever..  Lots of good reads out there.

Sinnick

Anything by Terry Pratchett is more than worth a read.   I have also been enjoying the Dresden Files Series by Jim Butcher and the Ex-Heroes Series by Peter Clines.

RedStorm58

Whats Left Of Me by Kat Zhang. Great book.
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not. It's just the beginning.

Ender

kind of supprised that not a single person has mention Robert A. Heinlein seeing as hes one of the best sci-fi writers in history, and any of his books are a good read.

Another good author, though self published Also i think one of the better sci-fi series i have ever read first book in that series is here (on kindle): (and really cheap) http://www.amazon.com/Overture-Earth-Song-Mark-Wandrey-ebook/dp/B008YFRPK6/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392136163&sr=1-1&keywords=earth+song+overture

The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

baxterdavid

I've read these three books lately. Maybe you will like them:

1) The Good Women of China- XINRAN
2) The Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan
3) The Partner - John Grisham. Sometimes I am in the mood for thrillers... In that case, I choose one of his books..

bluntfeather

Last whole book I read was 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I don't what it is about his stuff, often not much happens but his writing (and his translator) is just the right amount of relaxing and interesting enough that you don't fall asleep :)..

For sci fi I have a strong recommendation for anyone to check out Dhalgren. It is often shelved as sci fi but it is almost fiction much in the way Steve Erickson blurs the lines in his fiction. You could say Dhalgren is post apocalyptic fiction, but that wouldn't be entirely right. I can't really describe it, but if you want to get utterly lost in a book I couldn't rate it higher unless you want to delve into the near incomprehensible stuff like Finnegan's Wake. You won't find a digital copy of it that is any good for something like an e-reader, at least not yet. It has some formatting similar to the House of Leaves but much more minimal later on in the book.

OmegaConstruct

If you like epic space opera science fiction, you absolutely have to read the Night's Dawn trilogy, as well as the Commonwealth Saga and its sequel, the Void Trilogy, all by Peter F. Hamilton. All together that's a few thousand pages of reading, so it should keep you occupied for a while. It's the best science fiction/fantasy I've ever read. He has the futuristic vision of Asimov, with the story telling and world building ability of Tolkien. And I don't take either of those names lightly.