[TOOL] RimEdit (v.2.1)

Started by Darker, January 05, 2014, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I've deleted some unconstructive posts.

To clarify: We're not enforcing a specific format or template for posts here. We recommend one, but we can't make everyone do it.

To the community - sorry this wasn't clear amongst us mods earlier. We'll work it out.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Darker

Well, I've already made a new version and though I miss the original, I think the new version is much better.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Vas

I'd like an exe version, or one that can be run without the browser.  The browser version keeps screwing up once in a while and I have to re-load my save a few times till it stops becoming 100% black when I scroll out.  Firefox 28.0 (updating to next beta as soon as I close my browser) ((I hate how Firefox stopped using decimals, now it's Version 28.0, 29.0, 30.0, they never go 28.1, 28.01, 28.1.2. :/  They used to, till they saw IE get away with going "Internut Exploder 10!  The best explosion yet!"))

It might also run more smoothly in a program considering my browser oddly seems to lag on certain sites now, even though I have i7 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, and nVidia GeForce GTC 560m, I mean come on.  Nothing should lag with this much power.  -.-
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Darker

QuoteIt might also run more smoothly in a program considering my browser oddly seems to lag on certain sites now [...]
Nothing should lag with this much power.
Javascript is unbelievably inefficient language in both structure and implementation. I'm aware of this problem - my project was also an experiment how far can I go with the javascript. And trust me, in the code, there's a lot of optimization so it can run with lags at least.

I also hope that with the downloading and installing being skipped, the software will be available to wider audience. Javascript is also easy to understand and edit, so anyone can download my editor and change it as they want.

But now, there is no way turning the javascript to C++ for example. Whole concept is too far away from anything compiled.

QuoteI hate how Firefox stopped using decimals
Yeah... I was using firefox 3.xxxx for some years and then it went suddenly to 10, 12... then I lost count.

I don't like to say this, but for user experience, you might consider using Google Chrome. I don't like that browser in many aspects, but their implementation of javascript is many times faster than any other. I always dream of Firefox being that fast - because I'm no way using Chrome.

QuoteThe browser version keeps screwing up once in a while and I have to re-load my save a few times till it stops becoming 100% black when I scroll out.
This sounds like a bug... Could you please explain it?

In the past version, weird stuff happened when you zoomed out too much, but now a cap should work on the map - this should be smallest zoom possible.

Vas

Quote from: Darker on March 05, 2014, 12:08:50 PM
Javascript is unbelievably inefficient language in both structure and implementation. I'm aware of this problem - my project was also an experiment how far can I go with the javascript. And trust me, in the code, there's a lot of optimization so it can run with lags at least.
Well, it works on small scale stuff real well at least.  :P  (Something I made)
Quote from: Darker on March 05, 2014, 12:08:50 PMYeah... I was using firefox 3.xxxx for some years and then it went suddenly to 10, 12... then I lost count.

I don't like to say this, but for user experience, you might consider using Google Chrome. I don't like that browser in many aspects, but their implementation of javascript is many times faster than any other. I always dream of Firefox being that fast - because I'm no way using Chrome.

I have chrome installed, but it boots much slower than firefox, and it takes a while to load pages.  Perhaps that's because Firefox is so well used that my computer remembers it perfectly.  :P  I just don't like it though because it strips away, or did in the past, most of your user choice.  Makes the editing of your settings a single page hassle.  Hiding advanced settings under advanced settings, like when you click "show advanced" it has more settings still hidden till you click something like "Show super advanced settings".  I want my browser to treat me like I'm intelligent, not some banana eating monkey.  I stick with Firefox because of this.  :P  I just have chrome to check if a site is broken only in Firefox and check the compatibility of something I made (like that javascript page I linked) to see if it works in other browsers (couldn't care less if it works in IE or not :P).

Well, at least consider a downloadable program version sometime in the future, maybe when the game isn't changing so often so you don't have to update it as much? :P  Also, you could make it compatible with mods?  Checking the mod folder for assets and such and having a tab inside that asks which mods you want to make it load for that map or something.  I'm hoping that the dev makes the game 100% totally utterly portable though, because that would be very nice.  That way your saves and everything are all in the same folder, then you might be able to have this script load stuff much easier from the game because everything will be inside the game 'install' folder.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Darker

QuoteI want my browser to treat me like I'm intelligent, not some banana eating monkey.  I stick with Firefox because of this.  :P
I have the exact same reasons.

QuoteWell, at least consider a downloadable program version sometime in the future, maybe when the game isn't changing so often so you don't have to update it as much?
Many things will be done once I can rely on the map format. But currently, I have to remap all tiles with every release - I can't even think of having two projects to maintain.

QuoteWell, it works on small scale stuff real well at least.
The slowest part is the rendering. But the array traversing is pretty slow, too.

Also don't forget what is actually loaded in your browser. Just the savefile itself has about 5MB in average. Then javascript turns it into DOM, making every single node an object. Then things are loaded into my database of things. Also, every tile is an object since that was the easier way to maintain them without looping even more arrays.
Mostly, I'm trying to save CPU at a cost of RAM.

For example, see that images for stone and debris? They are cached. And everytime you zoom, they're resized and the resized image is cached too.

I'm planning to cache roofs too. Currently they're 3 lines, but it seems to be slower than rendering a PNG image over the map.

By the way, if you know javascript, you could help me with checking the compatibility... Can't say how grateful I would be.

Vas

Quote from: Darker on March 05, 2014, 12:54:00 PMBy the way, if you know javascript, you could help me with checking the compatibility... Can't say how grateful I would be.

I wish I could help with that.  My script was made with help by someone else who knew what I was trying to do, so he added some stuff to help make it simpler for me but it's really just beginner stuff that I did.  I can look at code and understand what it does most of the time but I can't create it, and then there is code I have no clue what does.  I mean I can load your script in Chrome and Firefox to see how it plays out and tell you what issues it presents.  :P

If I load it in IE, I'd have to come back and say "everything" because that's how terrible Internut Exploder is.  xD  I won't even bother making anything work for an IE user if I ever make anything.  I'll just add a tag that says "If you're using IE, your PC likely has so many viruses right now that I can't even understand how it's still alive, try Firefox or Chrome!" xD  I just now today fixed an IE user's computer, really.  I had to use teamviewer and uninstall 5 malware and a virus.

madpluck

So I've never been able to get this to work. I'm using chrome (I even tried in IE for gods' sake), the file loads, I edit stuff. Whenever I click the save button it goes to the "Aw, snap!" page and I lose all the edits. Any idea why?

Darker

Seems that they've changed something in chrome. I'm not sure how to get it to work now - I relied on my way of saving files.

I'll try to find a workaround, but it might even be impossible. So far the editor works fine in Mozilla Firefox.

Mikey3131

In reply to Mad, I've had the same issue with Chrome. IE and Firefox would bring up "File Loaded" after loading the file, but it would never display. I was able to open, modify, and save the cleared map that is available on the page, but I can't get it to load in RimWorld.

Lolik

People i am using Google Chrome and editor isnt working it just write File Loaded and nothing is happing

Darker

I did some tests and I can tell you the folowing:

• Google chrome simply crashes when you try to save a game. At this moment, I can't solve this problem. I can't get any javascript errors out of crashed browser.
  • The maps sometimes cause an error when loading. Please UPLOAD THE PROBLEMATIC MAPS HERE!

Thank you for your patience guys.

Vas

Appears to be broken.  It just says "File opened." when I try to open my map.

Even without mods.  Needed it for an example of something :/

UltimateDL

Yeah it seems to be busted at the moment.. it just gives a 'File Opened' Message... that sucks :\

Vas

Hey, just a thought.  Would you be able to add 5 new drop downs to the colonist editor?

2 would be for traits, it would let you select a new trait.
2 would be for the back story, letting you change the back story (and each would come with their permanent set of disabilities and stuff)
1 drop down would be for disabilities, you could select something you want to disable then click the add button.  Disabilities would be there with an X next to them so you could delete them.  If one of these are required by the back story, you would not be able to delete it.

I'd also like it in EXE format so I can load it without the thing going crazy randomly.  :P  The web version goes black when scrolling out quite often.