Suggestion - More realistic time and chunks

Started by blub01, August 31, 2015, 01:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blub01

So, I'm always annoyed that having breakfast takes almost as long as disassembling a mechanoid, especially for pawns whose movement is impaired, so I propose a rearrangement of time accelleration, making walking much, much quicker, and adding chunks. Basically, one would now have 4 steps of time accelleration(okay, there are four already, kinda, though it seems to me that isn't quite intended), real time - one day in game is one day in RL, idk, 10x accelleration, 100x accelleration, and 10000x accelleration(can be 1000x, too). 1x is for fighting, so it is at all controllable when people actually move with a reasonable speed, the others are for building and such. now, you may ask, why chunks? well, with people actually walking at sane speeds, the map needs to be a "bit" bigger. As Rimworld currently caps mapsize at 500x500 cells or something like that, and that only works with beefy computers, the only way I see to make the map, like, actually big is the way minecraft does it - with chunks. This could tie in neatly with the frequent fog of war suggestions, as you can simply show less chunks than you load, which will probably be required for random raider encounters when travelling or similiar things, anyway.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

keylocke

i kinda agree with this. the time spent for each activity should be based upon length of each day.

ie : eating, walking, sleeping, etc.. seems to be taking such a long time when compared to the time they have for each day.

it's like walking 3km will usually take around 45minutes or less for a normal person (even when carrying around 5kg of extra weight), but it seems to be taking rimworlders a long time to get from point A to B.

make walking faster, so colonists can cram in more activities, and make sleeping and eating shorter as well. playing at normal speed is like watching people in slomo (even though the time in their world is supposedly moving significantly faster than ours, since their entire day is only just a couple of minutes for us.)

JesterHell

Personally I'd increase the length of a day so there's less of a discrepancy but then I'm one of the people who want to play DF fort mode at adventure mode speeds.

rexx1888

fiddling with the scale is probably something in need of work.. but hey, its alpha an it works. i can understand why the scale is off atm... i just hope thats not intended :\

Anduin1357

Quote from: rexx1888 on September 02, 2015, 08:05:31 AM
fiddling with the scale is probably something in need of work.. but hey, its alpha an it works. i can understand why the scale is off atm... i just hope thats not intended :\
It's an alpha that has lasted for years, AFAIK. This could be better expanded upon.

Vault101

I think day should simply last longer and the activities like construction, crafting, growing, etc should take longer to compensate. It would basically redistribute time away from walking and towards activities. It's kinda funny it takes more time to walk 200 yards than it does to assemble a geothermal generator.

And I'd make years shorter (by 30% or so). Now with animals in the game, it takes FOREVER for them to breed, grow up, etc. Either that or speed up their growth because as it is right now, they are barely worth the time invested in them compared to time invested in things like art, crafting, growing or any other value generating activity

blub01

Quote from: Vault101 on September 04, 2015, 07:17:42 AM
I think day should simply last longer and the activities like construction, crafting, growing, etc should take longer to compensate. It would basically redistribute time away from walking and towards activities. It's kinda funny it takes more time to walk 200 yards than it does to assemble a geothermal generator.

And I'd make years shorter (by 30% or so). Now with animals in the game, it takes FOREVER for them to breed, grow up, etc. Either that or speed up their growth because as it is right now, they are barely worth the time invested in them compared to time invested in things like art, crafting, growing or any other value generating activity

the issue is, if you just make the day longer, one day takes an eternity, though it is essentially the same anyway, the only different thing is the time accelleration.
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Toggle

Yeah... I'm pretty sure x10000, even x1000 will blast through the game so fast your entire colony would be dead in literal seconds. x100 even would be very fast, and by the time you noticed all your colonists basically dead, you'd try to press pause and they would be dead.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

blub01

at the current speed. when x1 is real time, x10000 is about one 8th part of a day in a second, x1000 equals about one quarter hour, x100 a little bit 1 1/2 minute, and x10 is one sixth of a minute.
so

• x10000 is for waiting for resources to come in or something
  • x1000 is for usual gameplay
  • x100 is for a bit finer control
  • x10 is for micromanagement
  • x1 is for fights.
when an event happens, time accelleration is automatically set to x1.

SaintD

No, I like the time balance at the moment. Nothing jumps out as me as being bullshit and unbalanced about time management in the game. It makes enough sense considering the entire game is, by its very nature, a general abstraction so you can play through days in minutes. ANY game like this would need NPC's to look like they're teleporting around the map in order to match up activity and walking times.

When you're complaining about guys taking just as long to eat as to diassemble mechanoids, you might as well go find the toilet thread and hang out with that guy, because you've lost the plot on how the game isn't a minute by minute detailed life simulator. Their 'breakfast activity' stands in for the God knows how long we all spend in our day putting stuff in our face....especially if we're, you know, a hard working colony builder. I know I certainly don't eat once in a day. But it would be ridiculous to simulate our colonists running off to kitchens and mess halls three times a day for their major meals and carrying about snacks to eat, to service a food bar that would go down so fast that the time to use a sniper rifle would be longer than the time before they get hungry again.

blub01

Quote from: SaintD on September 05, 2015, 07:44:27 AM
No, I like the time balance at the moment. Nothing jumps out as me as being bullshit and unbalanced about time management in the game. It makes enough sense considering the entire game is, by its very nature, a general abstraction so you can play through days in minutes. ANY game like this would need NPC's to look like they're teleporting around the map in order to match up activity and walking times.

When you're complaining about guys taking just as long to eat as to diassemble mechanoids, you might as well go find the toilet thread and hang out with that guy, because you've lost the plot on how the game isn't a minute by minute detailed life simulator. Their 'breakfast activity' stands in for the God knows how long we all spend in our day putting stuff in our face....especially if we're, you know, a hard working colony builder. I know I certainly don't eat once in a day. But it would be ridiculous to simulate our colonists running off to kitchens and mess halls three times a day for their major meals and carrying about snacks to eat, to service a food bar that would go down so fast that the time to use a sniper rifle would be longer than the time before they get hungry again.

"[...]Nothing jumps out as being bullshit[...]" But requiring about a day to walk 250m. Or, if movement is impaired, for example, it can take that long to go to the rec room, eat something, do some joy activities, do one job(as in, craft one item), and barely make it back to bed before dropping from exhaustion. That jumps out as bullshit. Being able to build a turret while raiders walk the last few dozen meters towards you jumps out as bullshit. I don't want a minute to minute life simulator. I also want Rimworld to be a logical game, and such an inconsistency in time requirements is NOT logical in any way, and fixable by changing a few parameters.(pawn speed, time accelleration).

Toggle

A longer day isn't the option, as rimworld isn't supposed to last many years. And if you want Rimworld to be a logical game, sorry not sorry, it won't be. They are some realistic aspects to it, but game mechanics over realism every time man. It's not a survival simulator. As for the times again... Dude, it's x1, x2, x3, x4. x4 is accessible in debug mode and is already pretty fast. x10 would zoom through everything, x100 would literally remove any aspect of playing the game, any higher would be entirely pointless as you'd instantly go to your next red event. "More realistic time", yeah, because going at 60000 ticks a second instead of 60(x2/3/4) ticks a second is realistic.

Toggle

Yeah, let's take a look at the wiki. http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Tick

Quote from: blub01 on September 05, 2015, 05:13:27 AM

• x10000 is for waiting for resources to come in or something
  • x1000 is for usual gameplay
  • x100 is for a bit finer control
  • x10 is for micromanagement
  • x1 is for fights.

• x10000, 600,000 ticks, for people who want to end an entire in-game year in 5 SECONDS. 'Waiting for resources to come in' you mean ending your game faster then you literally start it up. 
  • x1000... dude are you insane. 60,000 ticks a second. That's 2 days a second, 1 month in 5 seconds, a whole season in 15 and in a single MINUTE a year would be over. "For usual gameplay" I don't know about you, but my games usually take 16 hours at least, not 2 minutes.
  • x100, oh this is interesting. 6,000 tics a second. That's a bit under 5 hours in a second, that's a whole day in 5 seconds, and in 50 seconds you'd be onto the next month. "A bit finer control" yeah, no.
  • x10, meaning 600 ticks per second. That's 1 hour ingame in a bit over 2 seconds, 50 seconds a day. In eight/nine minutes you'd already be onto the next month. A bit much for being realistic. "Micro management" you'd be ending in-game hours in seconds, you would barely be able to manage anything without colonists wasting hours or ending up having to do it the next day.
  • x1 already exists of course. 60 ticks per second.

blub01

oops sorry missed a few 0s. facepalm. the values are the relation of time in rimworld and time in RL. you are literally multiplying the values of time accelleration i propose with the current ones, which simply doesn't make sense. I can understand that my post was confusing because i messed it up a bit, but that so doesn't make sense that it is ridiculous.

JesterHell

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 05, 2015, 10:02:05 AM
And if you want Rimworld to be a logical game, sorry not sorry, it won't be. They are some realistic aspects to it, but game mechanics over realism every time man. It's not a survival simulator.

well there is this on the front page  :P

QuoteRimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space. Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000.

Also I'm the opposite, realism over game mechanics every time man.  :D

personally I'd like to see Rimworld move away from Raiders and Mechanoid as the main challenge to a more survivalist type gameplay where the challenge is in colony management, its why I want pawn relationships and don't want the player to get "Vatgrown" children so you have to deal with raising them the old fashion way.

I'd like soil nutrient level that drop requiring crop rotations and fertilizers.

Also I'm one of the people who want to play Dwarf fortress "fort" mode at adventure mode speed which according to one guy on those forums would make 1 year take as much irl time as 20 years does now.

Edit: apparently I quoted instead of Bolded, my bad.