How do you play?

Started by stranger080, September 02, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you usually play Rimworld? Pease read post first!

Hard core survival
17 (21.5%)
Survival
36 (45.6%)
Comforted survival - read post!
13 (16.5%)
God mode
3 (3.8%)
Other
4 (5.1%)
Mostly hardcore
6 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

stranger080

Reposted this topic to fix a problem there was with first topic.
Just wondering how everyone else plays Rimworld, for me there are 4 kinds of play style:
Hard core survival - just set up the production, no micro management of colonists unless there is a raid or other hostile event.
Survival - just plain survival, no cheats at all.
Comforted survival - play with cheats just so your colonists don't die, no spawning in good stuff or lavish meals, just simple meals, changing weather, and force enemy flee whenever needed.
God mode - play with God mode on and do everything with cheats.

Other game modes:
Mostly hardcore - it's hardcore but you can micro only in non hostile emergencies, like fires.

If you pick other, decide on a name for how you play and explain what you can and can't do, what's allowed and not allowed

Mechanoid Hivemind

Survival/Hardcore. i micro where it needs it cause they still wont PRIORITIZE THE SOLAR PANELS THAT ARE ON FIRE D:<
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

MultiDavid

Other, i... save scum alot when one of my colonists die with a lucky shot, yet i do not cheat in any other way so i cannot pick any of the other options.

Shinzy

Quote from: Mechanoid Hivemind on September 02, 2015, 11:56:38 AM
Survival/Hardcore. i micro where it needs it cause they still wont PRIORITIZE THE SOLAR PANELS THAT ARE ON FIRE D:<

^
That!
I don't trust them to get things done without setting their priorities and so
but I mostly let them go about their business on their own

Edit: This is only when I play though
Most time spent with Rimworld is not playing at all mostly just fiddling with my mods ;D

stranger080

Quote from: Mechanoid Hivemind on September 02, 2015, 11:56:38 AM
Lol, I've had problems like that,  it's very annoying

stranger080

Added mostly hard core to encompass the tiny micro managing you may do.

SaintD

Survival, but I save scum a lot of the frankly boring and irritating things. The Wanderer joins event, for one. The game thrusts this idiot upon me without my having a choice. So I save scum them until it rolls a colonist worth a damn. I'm not having a 70 year old medieval minstrel added to my roster EVER, let alone without my say so. Actually, the age is irrelevant, there's far, far too many backgrounds in the game that just mean the person is worthless, and the minstrel is at the top of my list for that.

Some events are just plain irritatingly boring to deal with, like lightning or flashstorms in jungles. Practically the whole map will burn down on far too regular a basis, because of the idea that lightning starts uncontrollable magical fire that burns across any and all vegetation. You'd have trouble starting a wildfire in a rainforest with a plasma cannon. Mechanically it's exceptionally poor gameplay because there's no way to stop it besides your colonists beating out fires, which is impossible for larger fires, or having ALREADY built a firebreak around your colony and just watching the rest of the map not matter anymore. Oh, you wanted to play in a jungle? Doesn't matter, it's mostly going to be sparse vegetation by the time the first year is out....but hey, just consider yourself lucky you didn't roll a temperate map! Then I'll just toxic fallout murder all forms of life within about six months! The very first mod I ever download will be to simply remove lightning fires from the game. The second will do for the toxic fallout.

Cimanyd

Does reloading when something happens that I really don't like (e.g. a colonist death, sometimes) count as cheating?

Quote from: SaintD on September 02, 2015, 12:17:29 PM
[complaints about flashstorms]

If you haven't re-downloaded for A12d yet, you might want to.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Lerxst

Hard core mostly. The only "cheating" I do is when the storyteller think it's funny to drop a toxic ship followed by an Evil ship after about 5 months of in-game time.

Usually play on Classic Challenging difficulty though, so I'm willing to deal with the random bullet that rips my 14-skill Miner's arm off. But those f(*^& ships! Can't kill them with a pistol and survival rifle and can't afford the resources to build turrets all the way across the amp to them. So... Dev console, here I come!

SaintD

Quote from: Cimanyd on September 02, 2015, 12:44:53 PMIf you haven't re-downloaded for A12d yet, you might want to.

Thankyou for not reading and understanding my post?

Cimanyd

Sorry, I thought A12d made the whole effect of flashstorms less, but after reading the comments it looks like it's still supposed to make a big fire, just not do as much damage if it happened to be right over your base. Never mind.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

stranger080

Quote from: Lerxst on September 02, 2015, 12:47:44 PM
Hard core mostly. The only "cheating" I do is when the storyteller think it's funny to drop a toxic ship followed by an Evil ship after about 5 months of in-game time.

Usually play on Classic Challenging difficulty though, so I'm willing to deal with the random bullet that rips my 14-skill Miner's arm off. But those f(*^& ships! Can't kill them with a pistol and survival rifle and can't afford the resources to build turrets all the way across the amp to them. So... Dev console, here I come!
Same here, I dev mode destroy them as soon as I get em

NuclearStudent

I'm still pretty new, but I made the mistake of diving straight into Cassandra Extreme difficulty for my first few games. I played it straight except for reloading saves in rage when one of my first three colonists died.

I've sobered up a little and dropped the difficulty down to Rough with the promise that I just won't savescum. It makes the game less serious when you can cheat and reload, and I like seriousness.

The only thing I use dev mode for is when I can't find something. I spawn in a duplicate of the item, double click on it to find my original item, then delete the duplicate. Saves hassle!

Aside from all that, I do a lot of micromanagement. I do tons of allowed areas stuff to make my colonists go where I want them to, tinker and fine tune the priorities to maximize efficiency, and manually prioritize tasks whenever I need to. My colonists have a bad habit of going to sleep instead of staying up to fight forest fires or repair walls during raids, so I give them all an allowed zone strictly within the danger and repeatedly micro them to do their job.

Lerxst

Quote from: NuclearStudent on September 02, 2015, 01:31:05 PM
I'm still pretty new, but I made the mistake of diving straight into Cassandra Extreme difficulty for my first few games. I played it straight except for reloading saves in rage when one of my first three colonists died.

I've sobered up a little and dropped the difficulty down to Rough with the promise that I just won't savescum. It makes the game less serious when you can cheat and reload, and I like seriousness.

The only thing I use dev mode for is when I can't find something. I spawn in a duplicate of the item, double click on it to find my original item, then delete the duplicate. Saves hassle!

Aside from all that, I do a lot of micromanagement. I do tons of allowed areas stuff to make my colonists go where I want them to, tinker and fine tune the priorities to maximize efficiency, and manually prioritize tasks whenever I need to. My colonists have a bad habit of going to sleep instead of staying up to fight forest fires or repair walls during raids, so I give them all an allowed zone strictly within the danger and repeatedly micro them to do their job.

I just set everyone's priorities to 1 for firefighting and it works like a charm. Never really needed to force anyone to do anything that way.

stranger080

Quote from: Lerxst on September 02, 2015, 01:42:39 PM
Quote from: NuclearStudent on September 02, 2015, 01:31:05 PM

I just set everyone's priorities to 1 for firefighting and it works like a charm. Never really needed to force anyone to do anything that way.
Yeah, I do that and works ok, acts strangely at times