Race defs question

Started by Vozhban, September 13, 2015, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vozhban

I am seeking some help in understanding 3 options in race defs.

I have absolutely no idea what these two settings do. I suppose they are quite obvious, but english is not my native lanuage, and I fail to translate them in anything that would make sense(really, I feel ashamed of this reason):
<nameOnNuzzleChance>
<nuzzleChancePerHour>

Also, it is not clear to me how to use this one, as I don't get what those numbers in brackets mean:
<litterSizeCurve>
    <points>
        <li>(0.5, 0)</li>
        <li>(1, 1)</li>
        <li>(2, 1.7)</li>
        <li>(2.5, 0)</li>

cuproPanda

I'm not certain on this, but I think it works like this:

Nuzzling is when an animal rubs against you lovingly. Colonists get a (+5?) mood buff when this happens. An animal wouldn't want to nuzzle against a big scary robot as much as a caring human, so nuzzling chance shows this. Nuzzling chance per hour likely represents how often a certain animal nuzzles. Chickens wouldn't nuzzle as often as a puppy, for example.

The litter size curve is confusing. It represents a range of how many animals are born. Maybe a husky births 2 pups, maybe 3, etc. However, giving birth to 1.7 or 2.5 pups wouldn't make sense(unless it's a horror mod), so that needs more clarification. I'd like some clarification on this, as well.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Vozhban

Well, nuzzling makes sense now, thanks a lot with that.

Vozhban

Well, just to close this theme. Llitter size curve turned out to be surprizingly easy to understand. So, I don't really know why it felt so hard before. I just tried different values, so what I say may be not completely true.
The first number in those brackets is amount of animals born, and the second is probability weight(I hope the phrase is composed rightly) of this.
Just to be more clear, example:
<li>(0.5, 0)</li>
<li>(1, 1)</li>
<li>(2, 1.7)</li>
<li>(2.5, 0)</li>
This means that less than one can't be born
Probability weight of giving birth to one is 1
Probabiliy weight of giving birth to two is 1.7
And more than 2 can't be born.

Fluffy (l2032)

yeah, it's a weighted sampling distribution, why the .5 and 2.5 options have to be there baffles me, but it's actually checked in the code and if they aren't it gives an error.

You can safely put a larger range in there (say from x to y), just be sure there's always the elements x - .5, x, x + 1, x + 2, .... y, y + .5 in there. The second element is the weight.

Nuzzling is split on two parts; the probability of it happening, and the probability of the colonist giving the animal a name when it happens. You probably want to up the chance of naming if an animal barely nuzzles - if you want them to get names.