[CustomScenario] Colonists escaping the exploding ship.

Started by ItchyFlea, January 10, 2014, 02:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

This is a variation of a CustomScenario in that you don't get to do anything. You just watch 3 colonists out of 10 successfully escape the craft that is described by the first letter you receive when you start a new world.
I would like to express thanks to both Darker and pbgben for their save file editors. Both were used to improve the overall look of this cinematic.

No mods are required to play this cinematic. Simply download, unzip and place in your RimWorld save folder. Load it like you are loading a normal saved game.

Cinematic Save File: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yta3fslp621iqpj/EscapeComplete.7z
Outdated. Does not work in RimWorld 0.1.334
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Ender

Gonna be the first to say that this doesn't work... though i'm eager to see it..
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

ItchyFlea

It's not an actual cinematic per se. It's like my CustomScenarios, in that it's just a modified save file. To 'watch' it, you just load it like a regular save file.

The only reason I can think of that it wouldn't work when you load it is if you are not running the current version of RimWorld, which is 0.0.254b
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Ender

well i know for a fact i'm running the current version, and one certain i noticed is that the file extension is .7Z not .rim like the other saves.

ItchyFlea

.7z is the file extension used by 7-Zip, a free zip program. You can download it here: http://www.7-zip.org/

Ender

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 12, 2014, 03:05:13 AM
.7z is the file extension used by 7-Zip, a free zip program. You can download it here: http://www.7-zip.org/
now i feel stupid, you see im using a new desktop, that of which i just built about a week and a half ago, and keep assuming that i have all the programs i had on my previous laptop, ill have to go download that. Thanks.

Tynan

Someone should record a video and YouTube this bad boy!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Darker

Had to watch this 5 times. Really good. Totally awesome.

How did you make the explosions? I thought this wasn't possible (since game-save files do not contain info about when is a thing gonna explode).
And even more confusing is, how did you make the pawns dissapear. Is that the same trick travellers use?
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Darker on January 13, 2014, 04:30:34 PM
Had to watch this 5 times. Really good. Totally awesome.

How did you make the explosions? I thought this wasn't possible (since game-save files do not contain info about when is a thing gonna explode).
And even more confusing is, how did you make the pawns dissapear. Is that the same trick travellers use?
A magician never reveals his secrets.

Thankfully I'm not a magician, so:
The explosions are slightly modified thrown grenades. (They don't show their graphic on the ground.)
As for the pawns disappearing, you are correct. It's exactly the same code travellers use to vanish when they reach the edge of the map.

Thorwan

--
Thorwan

Tynan

This is pretty amazing.

Did you specifically do something to get the roofing bell to ding at the end?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Tynan on January 15, 2014, 05:53:33 PM
This is pretty amazing.
Did you specifically do something to get the roofing bell to ding at the end?

No. That was accidental.

I love the video Thorwan made. ;D He captured the intended result of Duke getting injured while escaping.

lewisd

Very awesome!  Thanks for much for tossing on YouTube for everyone to enjoy. :)

TimMartland

This would be really good if you could get it to blend into the starting of each new save rather than it being seperate
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Monkfish

That would get tiresome after a while, even though it is epic. It would be better to play that before starting your first game.
<insert witty signature here>