Best Non-Killbox Defenses?

Started by DeltaV, September 11, 2015, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

I Havent used killboxes since alpha 1-3, they made the game so boring for me didn't want to play it anymore.

I like to make a realistic scenario, such as, a standard building in the middle of a field so it can be attack 360 degrees, and I like to use sandbags with a few turrets scattered around pretty simple defense really, like I said adds a nice feel of realism to the defense, combat, and injuries of course, have to get gory to get the stories.

When melee got added to the game this released a whole new fun method of ambushing raiders, I like to get 4+ Brawlers behind a fragile wall, then I have 1 deconstruct It, and all my brawlers just flank the enemy taking out all the snipers and such, makes raids much more possible on extreme difficulty with no killboxes

HOWEVER this game is super alpha still, and mechanoids are completely op and make no sense, there is almost no method other than luck to be able to take them out with GUNS (Im talking about when they assault your colony, not standing around a ship wanking) on extreme difficulty , maybe challenge too, So killboxes are pretty much needed to take them out, but I have done it before so I like I said luck can sometimes help you with a mech raid

Adamiks

Rimworld is basically created for killboxes only. That you don't put walls around your turrets doesn't mean this isn't killbox.

In general - there is no figthing in the open in Rimworld. Only ambushes and killboxes/killzones.

This is why Rimworld is so boring after like 10 games - everything is that same. No challenge at all. Well... You can create challenge by not building turrets or something but this isn't the point of challenging game - i can make every game challenging without saving game etc.

userfredle

Quote from: Adamiks on September 17, 2015, 02:08:42 PM
In general - there is no figthing in the open in Rimworld.

But that's just not true, YOU may not fight in the open, but I always have sniper teams using the worlds terrain to get shots off at raiders, not to mention I like to take the fight to the ships personally, yes I could blow them up or mortar them but hey you could just box urself into a mountain with no door to the outside if you wanted (Although the sapper raid now in game would be your only threat)

Adamiks

"You can create challenge by not building turrets or something but this isn't the point of challenging game"

You can play without buildings, steel, guns, turrets etc. but after all killbox strategy is the best one. Sure, you can figth in the open but you must be a pro or you'll die soon when something will fuck up. Also, it's about what i was saying - it's making a game more challenging by yourself, you don't need to figth in the open to survive, you want to do it.

Jamini

Quote from: userfredle on September 17, 2015, 01:44:22 PM
I Havent used killboxes since alpha 1-3, they made the game so boring for me didn't want to play it anymore.

I like to make a realistic scenario, such as, a standard building in the middle of a field so it can be attack 360 degrees, and I like to use sandbags with a few turrets scattered around pretty simple defense really, like I said adds a nice feel of realism to the defense, combat, and injuries of course, have to get gory to get the stories.

When melee got added to the game this released a whole new fun method of ambushing raiders, I like to get 4+ Brawlers behind a fragile wall, then I have 1 deconstruct It, and all my brawlers just flank the enemy taking out all the snipers and such, makes raids much more possible on extreme difficulty with no killboxes

HOWEVER this game is super alpha still, and mechanoids are completely op and make no sense, there is almost no method other than luck to be able to take them out with GUNS (Im talking about when they assault your colony, not standing around a ship wanking) on extreme difficulty , maybe challenge too, So killboxes are pretty much needed to take them out, but I have done it before so I like I said luck can sometimes help you with a mech raid

Actually, mechanoids are not difficult to beat if you take their vulnerabilities into account. The trick is to never, ever, engage the in 1 on 1 scenarios. Unlike raiders, they will almost always win going head-to-head due to their invulnerability to pain.

EMP grenades wreak all types of mechanoids, even with adaption mechanics. One or two EMP Grenadiers can keep mechanoids stunned for most of a day easily.

Scythers are vulnerable to snipers and high-quality gladii(the latter are DANGEROUS to use). They can lose limbs, and the loss of a leg or arm is utterly crippling to them. (The latter lets you recover their claws for a good buck too!)

Centipedes are vulnerable to explosives of all stripes, as explosions damage multiple components and are more likely to shatter/destroy the first three ones (which are the "vital" parts of the centipede, along with it's processor). In addition, explosions can destroy equipped weapons, many of which are non-salvageable from mechanoids anyway. Their weapons also cannot penetrate personal shields, as shields recharge faster than a minigun, charge blaster or inferno cannon can damage it. Meaning a single melee guy can distract a number of centipedes at once by simply running around behind them, while his buddies work on blowing them up. And don't get me started on rocket launchers. Some people who have made it into very late game have tested the effectiveness of launchers against all types of mechanoids to great effect.

Finally, centipedes are far slower than scythers. This allows the player to pick off he speedy, agressive scythers before dealing with the slower, much sturdier, centipedes.

ZeeOvenfresh

I normally build my colony structures close to one another so it is easier for my defenders to get to a different defensible position. I also set aside my "Rangers" as my main fighting force, they take the fight to the fields. If I am faced with an overwhelming force, I get all my colonists inside and let the invaders swarm my city. Meanwhile my rangers have already left the city and flanked around. I then send them in, block by block, to defeat the divided army.
Colonists inside the city would melee swarm enemies that have strayed too far from the main force. Eventually the enemy would retreat or they would all die off.
"How did you get into my house?"
-Morgan Freeman