Psychopaths are upset by cannibalism

Started by Didact04, September 23, 2015, 12:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didact04

This seems like a kind of obvious oversight. Cannibalism is a moral crime, and if anyone in the entire world should care, it should not be a literal psychopath. That's their thing: they know it's wrong, but they DON'T care. That's why they're called psychopaths.

Psychopaths can sell people into slavery, calmly chop up prisoners for spare parts, murder anyone they want, treat anyone however they want, don't care if everyone around them suffers, but hand them a piece of jerk jerky and suddenly the line is drawn. Empathy sprouts out of nothingness and guilt appears: oh no, that's a human. I feel horrible. I am sad. I can feel and it is terrible.

Nah. That don't happen. Fix, please.

Bohb Daishi

I disagree. Being a psychopath and a cannibal are mutually exclusive. Just because you have zero empathy doesn't mean you have to enjoy cannibalism. You might find it amusing to force others to eat soylent green, but that doesn't mean you aren't grossed out at the thought of eating it yourself. Some psychopaths have standards.

zandadoum

maybe i am a psycopath, but i certainly do not like the taste of human flesh. also: i don't like brokoli!

cultist

A psychopath is still concerned about their own well-being and eating human flesh in large amounts is generally considered unhealthy, not just morally wrong. But I agree that the thought they get (oh no, I ate a human, it's horrible) is a little out of context.

NephilimNexus

Snip. Keep it on topic.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: NephilimNexus on September 24, 2015, 12:45:50 PM
Snip.
Even though the thread has not gone at all hot, I'm invoking Godwin's law. This thread ought to be closed.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Didact04

This is a bug report. I'm ignoring anything else and everyone else should too.

Psychopaths, while maybe concerned by the implications of said cannibalism, would not at all care to the degree someone else would. Maybe it's a slight debuff, maybe it's none at all, but regardless it feels like something of an oversight, or at least something that should be tweaked. If they are worried because of cannibalism, it would be more like worry of what it means to have to do that rather than horror at the act.

That's my two cents.

TLHeart

Sorry Didact04, psychopaths and cannibals are not related, have never been and will never be related. It is not a bug in the game, but a misunderstanding of what a psychopath is.

Bohb Daishi

Maybe what we need here is a different unhappy thought for psychopaths. Instead of the "I feel horrible" nonsense, they need something less severe like "I just ate another human being. It didn't taste as bad as I thought it would, but it was still pretty disgusting".

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Bohb Daishi on September 28, 2015, 12:20:47 AM
Maybe what we need here is a different unhappy thought for psychopaths. Instead of the "I feel horrible" nonsense, they need something less severe like "I just ate another human being. It didn't taste as bad as I thought it would, but it was still pretty disgusting".

+1

Raw Cannibalism

"Urgh. Human flesh. It tastes awful."

Cooked Cannibalism

"Cooked human flesh tastes disgusting. Who mixed it with fava beans?"

zandadoum

Well, psycho in game description clearly states they do not care about what happens to others, but they do about anything that affects them directly.

They are affected by cannibalism, not because it is the flesh of another human, which they don't care.

They just don't like it as a food source. Maybe it's the taste, maybe it's fear of prion diseases (google it) all tho they wouldn't be affected if they don't eat the brains.

In any case, this looks like "working as intended" to me.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Bohb Daishi on September 23, 2015, 06:28:36 PM
I disagree. Being a psychopath and a cannibal are mutually exclusive. Just because you have zero empathy doesn't mean you have to enjoy cannibalism. You might find it amusing to force others to eat soylent green, but that doesn't mean you aren't grossed out at the thought of eating it yourself. Some psychopaths have standards.

Yes, but the thought debuff for cannibalism is something along the lines of 'I just ate another human.' not 'Eww, I am not eating anything Eugene has cooked again.' The definition of a psychopath is someone who literally doesn't give a crap about anything.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

zandadoum

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 28, 2015, 01:24:28 PM
The definition of a psychopath is someone who literally doesn't give a crap about anything.

wrong

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/psychopath

a person with a psychopathic personality, which manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.

for the Nth time, being psycopath has NOTHING to do with enjoying, not enjoying, liking, or not liking cannibalism.

they won't give a crap about others eating humans, that doesn't mean they're not disgusted by eating it themselves.

geez, ever seen "American Psycho" or Hitchcocks "Psycho"?
They were actually disgusted by a great deal of things, and focusing too much on stuff that personally disgusted them is what actually made them more of a psycho.

LouisTBR

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

StorymasterQ

Louis, there's no such thing as 'it was a joke' in a forum discussion :D Sarcasm can't travel through text, you see.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here