Automated Units.

Started by Pakislav, January 13, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pakislav

ADU's, Automated Defense Units are military robots designed for domestic defense.

Their short battery life puts limit on their effective activity range. When they run out of battery power, they are required to be hauled by colonists to their charging stations connected to the grid where they recharge at a 1000W rate. The charging station is vulnerable to short-circuiting in humid environment and needs to be kept in enclosed space.

-Has to be researched.
-Expensive; lots of metal, lots of space, lots of energy, lots of workforce for construction and repair.
-Use energy at twice their charging speed.
-Attract lightening.
-Their Artificial Grey Matter can short-circuit and cause them to do the opposite of intended function.

Other AUs (Variety increases required space, resources and energy):

ARU's, Automated Repair Units.
Civilian robots designed to repair damaged systems and buildings within the colony.
Much like their military cousins, they hold a limited charge and need to be hauled to recharging stations by colonists when they run out of energy.

ACU's, Automated Cleaning Units.
Their sole purpose is to clean the filth the humans cause.

AHU's, Automated Harvesting Units.
Designed to harvest what humans sow. They gather less food from a plant than a colonist.

Trensicourt

What's the point of having colonists then? Why not have a colony full of robots that constructs robots that make other robots do robot work?

Sorry for the troll, but it is a little too advance for our stupid colonists.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

AmalgamSnow

As ive stated previously on other threads, the only robot i see (at present) as viable, is a repair robot, that is used purely to run along circuits, walls etc... that are inaccessible to our colonists (due to their inferior armlength!) - so we can build circular structures in cave systems without worrying about our walls eventually degrading to such a state the whole place burns down.

palandus

I'd personally only want robots that do tasks that give no real benefit to a colonist, like Cleaning. I say no "real benefit" in that almost all other tasks level up one or more of their skills, that allows them to do that skill better. As cleaning isn't linked to any particular skill, and a base after a firefight can get quite messy with blood everywhere, a cleaning robot would be ideal, as your colonists tend to be too busy to ever get to it themselves.

Darker

QuoteWhat's the point of having colonists then? Why not have a colony full of robots that constructs robots that make other robots do robot work?
That's exactly my question! Why not? :) :)

But seriously - just make a robot be able to do only one thing and you'll be happy for some universal colonists.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Pakislav on January 13, 2014, 12:50:12 PM
ADU's, Automated Defense Units are military robots designed for domestic defense.

Their short battery life puts limit on their effective activity range. When they run out of battery power, they are required to be hauled by colonists to their charging stations connected to the grid where they recharge at a 1000W rate. The charging station is vulnerable to short-circuiting in humid environment and needs to be kept in enclosed space.

-Has to be researched.
-Expensive; lots of metal, lots of space, lots of energy, lots of workforce for construction and repair.
-Use energy at twice their charging speed.
-Attract lightening.
-Their Artificial Grey Matter can short-circuit and cause them to do the opposite of intended function.

Other AUs (Variety increases required space, resources and energy):

ARU's, Automated Repair Units.
Civilian robots designed to repair damaged systems and buildings within the colony.
Much like their military cousins, they hold a limited charge and need to be hauled to recharging stations by colonists when they run out of energy.

ACU's, Automated Cleaning Units.
Their sole purpose is to clean the filth the humans cause.

AHU's, Automated Harvesting Units.
Designed to harvest what humans sow. They gather less food from a plant than a colonist.

Remember tynan has stated our colonists are not "professional colonists"  i doubt any of them could build a robot.and the world we are on is in an strange quasi industrial state, robots are for higher tech level people and people whoa are trained to ONLY BUILD ROBOTS in my opinion.

According to tynan we are in the middle tech level in game.

On the main website:
Your starting colonists in RimWorld are at a technological level in the middle of this span. But you may end up interacting with people at much lower and higher levels, as well as acquiring and using their tools and weapons. In RimWorld, a single fight can involve a bow and arrow, a revolver, a charged-shot pulse rifle, and a near-magical teleportation device.

Here is the quick primer for backers.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

But tynan has also stated that he is interested (especially) in "Machine life" (robots?) Perhaps you could buy them from a rare trader? Getting tech from higher tech level people, IS allowed.

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Darker

There is actually already some "Gun robot" placeholder in the game. It can't appear in the game, but it's probably quite planned.

Untrustedlife

I hope we get "Robot traders" (a trader that sells robots)
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Pakislav

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 13, 2014, 06:54:39 PM
Remember tynan has stated our colonists are not "professional colonists"  i doubt any of them could build a robot.and the world we are on is in an strange quasi industrial state, robots are for higher tech level people and people whoa are trained to ONLY BUILD ROBOTS in my opinion.

Some of them actually are, and those that are, are the ones that probably wouldn't be able to construct a robot. A researcher is more fitting to the job, no? ;)
And yes, Tynan said we are in the middle technology tier, which means interplanetary/stellar spacecraft. Robots fall short of that.
I don't see why even a medieval slave oaf with no research would be able to construct solar panels, automatic turrets and nutrient paste dispensary, but not a simple robot.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Pakislav on January 14, 2014, 12:42:10 PM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 13, 2014, 06:54:39 PM

Some of them actually are, and those that are, are the ones that probably wouldn't be able to construct a robot. A researcher is more fitting to the job, no? ;)
And yes, Tynan said we are in the middle technology tier, which means interplanetary/stellar spacecraft. Robots fall short of that.
I don't see why even a medieval slave oaf with no research would be able to construct solar panels, automatic turrets and nutrient paste dispensary, but not a simple robot.

You think a robot would be easier to build then a solar panel and a food dispenser?

The AI and hardware required to build a robot is beyond that of a food dispenser that simply squashes things and dispenses the squashed stuff (which i bet is what the "nutrient paste" dispenser does.. It is also beyond the bits of silicone needed to make a solar panel. And the AI is beyond that of an auto turret.

Colonist 1 (a lifelong Tinkerer): *Grabs a bunch of electrical wires and metal and blades that fell from the spaceship*
colonist 1: *Makes something similar to a blender with it* (albeit a rather large blender, because he has no idea how to do something like this at a small scale with what is available to him)
*throws spinach potatoes and banana in it"
*adds eggs*
*blends it all up until its a fine paste*
Colonist 1:"Here you go"
Colonist 2: "What is that crap?"
Colonist 1: "I call it nutrient paste, its super nutritious"
Colonist 2: *eats a small amount*
Colonist 2: "Nutrient paste eh?, its pretty good"

Actually you can build your own solar panel in your kitchen if you have the ability t get the solar cells or make your own from copper (you can make low yeild solar cells from copper), of course processed silicone is best.
Assuming the colonists have access to copper (which they do) or solar cells fell from the ship, they could cobble together a solar panel.
http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/echem/echem2.html

But they couldn't cobble together a robot with that stuff especially one with AI taht requires a-lot of technology.

A medieval oaf honestly shouldn't be able to build those anyway (even though they can in the game right now). He is from a medieval world. tHat lacks technology beyond an iron sword. He was probably being carted as a slave.

Quoteinterplanetary/stellar spacecraft
Interstellar spacecraft eh?
What he means by "Not professional colonists" is that they aren't prepared for this, It was just a cruise ship that crashed.

In RimWorld, your colonists are not professional settlers â€" they’re survivors from a crashed passenger liner. They'll be accountants, homemakers, journalists, cooks, nobles, urchins, and soldiers.

I doubt an accountant could build a robot from scratch.I can also assure you that the accountant didn't build the spacecraft.

Also rimworlds, as stated by tynan, are usually in an industrial tech level, which is why we have no energy guns unless we buy them or get them late game, because the tech of the planet we are on is at the tech level where people are still using pistols and bullets.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub\

also:

Your starting colonists in RimWorld are at a technological level in the middle of this span. But you may end up interacting with people at much lower and higher levels, as well as acquiring and using their tools and weapons. In RimWorld, a single fight can involve a bow and arrow, a revolver, a charged-shot pulse rifle, and a near-magical teleportation device.

I believe we should get robots from a trader. Not build them. It makes more sense this way.

I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

Darker

QuoteI doubt an accountant could build a robot from scratch.
So there may be accountants but not engineers? Your logic is not logical. It's only question of what people will you get.

If you wanna be realistic, think it over one more time. Just the logic of yours:

What's a defense robot, than a walking auto-turret?
The most complicated task for robots is to automatically detect and acquire targets. Computer vision. That's something Auto turret needs to detect human and attack him.

And if one can automatically acquire moving targets, why not static ones like potato plants (harvesting robot)?

Also keep in mind that at the point where you're able to create gun, a simple leg mechanics is just fun. Guns are not just hollow sticks.
And if you don't like legs - they can have wheels, that's more fun anyway. There could be those tiny black cleaning robots from star wars.
If you know how automatic cleaners work, you must admit that this is rather a matter of good software. You could make one with ATMega, 2-4 infra-sensors to detect walls and the cleaning HW.

I also like to imagine the way to charge the robots - build a charging area and have them literally come and charge themselves.

palandus

Oh... I thought the way the Nutrient Paste Dispensers created food was similar to how Stroggs made stroyent, by breaking down organic compounds with enzymes into the component parts needed to provide energy and the like to whoever got some.

If its just a blender, then we are technically having potatoe smoothie. Ewww. How is that "better" than a Raw Potato?

Darker

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 14, 2014, 12:59:00 PM
The AI and hardware required to build a robot is beyond that of a food dispenser...
Here is a defense robot made from rubbers and paper. All arguments are now invalid.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: palandus on January 14, 2014, 02:08:29 PM
Oh... I thought the way the Nutrient Paste Dispensers created food was similar to how Stroggs made stroyent, by breaking down organic compounds with enzymes into the component parts needed to provide energy and the like to whoever got some.

If its just a blender, then we are technically having potatoe smoothie. Ewww. How is that "better" than a Raw Potato?
Because it is more filling, easier to eat. (the colonists still get a minus 8 from eating it)

I was just saying there is many ways that a group of people could go about "inventing" a "nurtrient paste" dispenser. Without super robot AI i robot technology.

Quote from: Darker on January 14, 2014, 02:02:07 PM
QuoteI doubt an accountant could build a robot from scratch.
So there may be accountants but not engineers? Your logic is not logical. It's only question of what people will you get.

If you wanna be realistic, think it over one more time. Just the logic of yours:

What's a defense robot, than a walking auto-turret?
The most complicated task for robots is to automatically detect and acquire targets. Computer vision. That's something Auto turret needs to detect human and attack him.

And if one can automatically acquire moving targets, why not static ones like potato plants (harvesting robot)?

Also keep in mind that at the point where you're able to create gun, a simple leg mechanics is just fun. Guns are not just hollow sticks.
And if you don't like legs - they can have wheels, that's more fun anyway. There could be those tiny black cleaning robots from star wars.
If you know how automatic cleaners work, you must admit that this is rather a matter of good software. You could make one with ATMega, 2-4 infra-sensors to detect walls and the cleaning HW.

I also like to imagine the way to charge the robots - build a charging area and have them literally come and charge themselves.

Then why is it that modern humanity has turrets that can acquire targets, but not robots that run around shooting and acquiring targets?

Because it is alot more then just a "walking autoturret"
You need to be able to path find in real space. This can be done, requires years upon years upon years of research, not to mention allowing them to have orders to stay around and patrol.Avoiding friendly fire. (calculating bullet trajectory to make sure when they are shooting at a bad guy that one of their comrades doesnt run in front of the bullets. which turrets don't do)
Hiding behind cover.
Making tactical descicians in real time, without a person remote controlling them. <-- super hard to do
(and no, you can't say it works because the player is controlling them because in game the player isnt really "there" so to speak.)

Communicating with the colonists, to make plans. (a sort of chat-programming system)

all of that.

In one piece of super advanced software on a robot made of metal.

Your point is invalid itself.

Quote from: Darker on January 14, 2014, 02:19:31 PM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 14, 2014, 12:59:00 PM
The AI and hardware required to build a robot is beyond that of a food dispenser...
Here is a defense robot made from rubbers and paper. All arguments are now invalid.
I don't think you understood my argument.

My point was that , you don't need to have super high Artificial intelligence technology to build the things he pointed out. (in his case auto turrets, solar panels, and nutrient dispensers)
So the fact that a person could build a useless robot that shoots, out of paper, means that autoturrets are perfectly possible without high technology.(which you do need to make advanced star wars style, AI robots)

So in order to have a nutrient dispenser, solar panels and a auto turret without the tech to build super intelligent robots (which only appear at higher tech levels) is perfectly possible and is more likely.

And therefore my point is valid.

Thank you.

I am firmly against colonists building robots, buy em from higher tech traders.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

Malicar

I think robots make perfect sense. Like in FTL building a defense droid has it's uses but in no way replaces a human really. It compliments them when they are short on manpower for a specific role. Plus robots are just fun. Wether it cleans, chats, repairs, cuts grass, grows plants, hauls stuff and or fights raiders and or fires. You could use them as decoys or to draw fire. Perhaps like a shiv with suppression mounted weapon or fire suppression system. Endless options with droids and how you work them in. I'm assuming your an advanced form of terrans if your colonizing the outer rim. Either way an engineer makes perfect sense to compliment the machines.