If I can remove it, let me put it back

Started by Didact04, September 27, 2015, 04:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didact04

Just failed catastrophically in a surgery. Someone somehow lost their sternum, which is effectively a permanent injury I can never fix, because guess what isn't a part in the game as it stands? Among other things, a sternum is in there.

It's not a tall ask. If I can take it out, let me put it back in. That's all.

Mrred1

One time my patient was getting a leg (?) replacement and my doctor accidentally cut his head off!
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

LouisTBR

QuoteOne time my patient was getting a leg (?) replacement and my doctor accidentally cut his head off!

Yeah, I can never understand why removing a liver can cause brain damage. Do you reckon the doctor was wondering where it was at?

ANDY! I can't find the bloody liver again! Every bloody time!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

tylers2001

Just like the promotion from Dentist to brain surgeon. Its as easy as making a drill slip.
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

Regret

Quote from: Didact04 on September 27, 2015, 04:28:11 AM
Just failed catastrophically in a surgery. Someone somehow lost their sternum, which is effectively a permanent injury I can never fix, because guess what isn't a part in the game as it stands? Among other things, a sternum is in there.

I'd rather that didn't happen, it would take most of the risk and all of the fun out of surgery.
Immortal colonists are uninteresting colonists, at least for me the chance of losing them is part of what makes me value them.
It keeps me interested in what happens. Just think of the feeling you get when your only cook is getting slower and slower because of accumulated back injuries and there is nothing you can do about it. Now compare that feeling to the same cook getting wounded and recovering completely. Which makes a more interesting experience for you?

BetaSpectre

Maybe he lost it due to terrible shattering trauma. Like flipping the table over and crashing into the victim err patient.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Didact04

Quote from: Regret on September 28, 2015, 04:13:12 PM

I'd rather that didn't happen, it would take most of the risk and all of the fun out of surgery.
Immortal colonists are uninteresting colonists, at least for me the chance of losing them is part of what makes me value them.
It keeps me interested in what happens. Just think of the feeling you get when your only cook is getting slower and slower because of accumulated back injuries and there is nothing you can do about it. Now compare that feeling to the same cook getting wounded and recovering completely. Which makes a more interesting experience for you?

Consider it for a second: you removed the sternum. I don't bloody know how you did that, considering what it is, but okay, fine. You removed it. Good job. Now there's severe blood loss and god knows what else wrong with him. He might have even died from it.

Miraculously he lives. So, where is the bloody sternum?

...vanished into thin air, you say? You KNOW what a sternum is, right? You know you can't just vaporize those or turn them to dust, yes? Where IS the sternum?

...no, seriously. Silliness like catastrophic liver removal is one thing, but ffs, let me put this crap back INTO the colonist, please. If he could have screwed it up once he can do it twice. We can make medicine more interesting with less permanent and spontaneous crippling that you can't do anything about.

Regret

Quote from: Didact04 on September 29, 2015, 05:28:39 PM

Consider it for a second: you removed the sternum. I don't bloody know how you did that, considering what it is, but okay, fine. You removed it. Good job. Now there's severe blood loss and god knows what else wrong with him. He might have even died from it.

Miraculously he lives. So, where is the bloody sternum?

...vanished into thin air, you say? You KNOW what a sternum is, right? You know you can't just vaporize those or turn them to dust, yes? Where IS the sternum?

...no, seriously. Silliness like catastrophic liver removal is one thing, but ffs, let me put this crap back INTO the colonist, please. If he could have screwed it up once he can do it twice. We can make medicine more interesting with less permanent and spontaneous crippling that you can't do anything about.
Alright, well said.

How about a XX% chance of destroying the part or removing the part whole?
I would like an accompanying debuff for the doc: 'Covered in bloody chunks of sternum'.
Maybe have all catastrophic surgery failures cover a 5x5 area in blood?

akiceabear

+1

Thane

Yes, but lets go with the possibility of bloody sternum bits flying everywhere. Seems more fun, also give the guy who removed an entire freaking sternum, and has somehow allowed the patient to continue living albeit impaired, a medal!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Wex

The problem, is the total lack of realism. If I have to suture a lung, HOW IN THE F**KING WORLD, did I manage to sever a foot? If I have to remove a leg, I won't saw the neck by mistake! Even 3 olders know what a leg is!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Shadou

Quote from: Wex on October 01, 2015, 07:02:51 AM
The problem, is the total lack of realism. If I have to suture a lung, HOW IN THE F**KING WORLD, did I manage to sever a foot?
Someone needs to learn that the ankle is not a convenient pincushion for your scalpel. Or whatever sharp implement you're using.

Thane

I think this picture explains the issue with surgery very well. All points to the amazing Muffin!

http://i.imgur.com/Yc9Zi6W.jpg

It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Loki88

Quote from: Thane on October 01, 2015, 09:43:28 AM
I think this picture explains the issue with surgery very well. All points to the amazing Muffin!

http://i.imgur.com/Yc9Zi6W.jpg

That made me laugh :P I'm curious though with how the medical mechanics work in RimWorld if that surgical cut to the peg leg would heal eventually... Assuming the chainsaw doesn't come back out.

In all seriousness though, I believe ALL body parts that can be affected by surgery mishaps should become objects. Just as stated before, I find it incomprehensible that if you remove a part by accident that it just goes poof. Perhaps the part could be severely damaged in the process, but it shouldn't go poof... I'm not looking for uber colonists (I buy bionic bits when I want that) I'm just looking for a more sensible medical system...

Thane

I agree I just think that image gives us a very valid reason for the medical system as it is now. Every time one of my docs fails I just envision them going all Friday the 13th on their helpless patients and suddenly it all makes sense.

I'm starting to develop a fear of surgeons though.