Starting to get frustrated.

Started by PixelatedDonkey, October 09, 2015, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedDonkey

Is one of you a "firebug". I am getting a bit tired of having my bases destroyed by fire. Latest one was started by a guy with a knife. He came up to a steel wall, hit it once and the wall burst in flames. It also is no help that I can't order the colonists to put out the fire. Even though the priority is set to high they just stand there and burn alive.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: PixelatedDonkey on October 09, 2015, 08:45:41 PM
Is one of you a "firebug". I am getting a bit tired of having my bases destroyed by fire. Latest one was started by a guy with a knife. He came up to a steel wall, hit it once and the wall burst in flames. It also is no help that I can't order the colonists to put out the fire. Even though the priority is set to high they just stand there and burn alive.
1- Make em walls out of stone
2- If you were on fire, would you TRY to put yourself out or put the wall around you out and let yourself die. Colonists will not respond to your orders if their burning. Their to busy taking care of them self.
3- Were they firefighting before they got set on fire?
4- If ya don't know, thier is a thing called homezone, they only clean, repair and firefight things in your home zone.

Daman453

I think fire should be thought up again, i mean a steel knife hitting a steel wall wouldn't cause any fire.
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Daman453 on October 09, 2015, 09:07:08 PM
I think fire should be thought up again, i mean a steel knife hitting a steel wall wouldn't cause any fire.
True.

REMworlder

I think the steel walls being flammable is a throwback to when steel walls had wiring automatically in them, the wires presumably being flammable and allowing fire to spread. From a lusory attitude perspective, the raider might be using a lighter or *whatever*, just like my colonists are probably using some sort of axe to cut down trees even if I don't specifically see one.

I just build stone walls, though. Cuz it's cheap, it won't burn, and I need steel elsewhere.

Keep in mind, if the fire spreads indoors your colonists could be getting heatstroke from all the heat contained in a small space.

PixelatedDonkey

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 09, 2015, 09:06:12 PM
2- If you were on fire, would you TRY to put yourself out or put the wall around you out and let yourself die. Colonists will not respond to your orders if their burning. Their to busy taking care of them self.
4- If ya don't know, thier is a thing called homezone, they only clean, repair and firefight things in your home zone.

1. Steel should NOT be flammable. It isn't. Stone walls are not secure enough.
2, 3. This one is a mix. Sometimes they catch on fire while trying to fight fire (understandable if they would try to get away, so there is no need for you to treat me like an idiot) and sometimes they are in the room that catches fire and they just stand there. They catch on fire and continue standing in the same spot until they burn.
4. I do know that there is a home zone and that they only clean and firefight in that zone. I take great care in setting up home zone.

A Friend

You can also draft them and move them beside the fire. They'll automatically put out fire on any adjacent tile. And you can also move them away for a bit if the fire's getting a bit too big.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

REMworlder

Do you have any pictures, OP?

Also, with everyone talking about burning steel: http://i.imgur.com/DQecETo.jpg

TheGentlmen

Err, when I put a battery sidebyside a steal wall, everyone who touches the wall doesn't get shocked, so I assume steal walls aren't actually steal, but instead a mixture of steal and a steal based insulator (Cuaze itz the future whee ya can make an insulator from anything). And it just so happens that the insulator is flammable.

BetaSpectre

You can draft colonists to fight fires can't you? I've been doing that just make em stand in or near the fire. I suggest near.

Steel lighting on fire doesn't make sense it might hollow out or melt, but it shouldn't actually light on fire unless its soaked in napalm.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

A Friend

inb4 heated steel arguments.

I don't know... ingame we can make instant concrete out of steel scraps. Don't take it too seriously. I'm sure it will be addressed sometime in the future.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

TheGentlmen

If a got a problem simply make a mod to set the flammability to 0.

TLHeart

Quote from: PixelatedDonkey on October 09, 2015, 10:27:51 PM

2, 3. This one is a mix. Sometimes they catch on fire while trying to fight fire (understandable if they would try to get away, so there is no need for you to treat me like an idiot) and sometimes they are in the room that catches fire and they just stand there. They catch on fire and continue standing in the same spot until they burn.
4. I do know that there is a home zone and that they only clean and firefight in that zone. I take great care in setting up home zone.

What do you mean stone walls are not secure enough, steel walls have 350 strength.
stone walls go from sandstone at 490 to granite at 595 strength, much stronger than steel walls.

and steel is flammable,

Iron (Fe): Specific gravity, 7.86; melting point, 2802°F (1540°C). Iron presents a dust hazard
under favoring conditions of particle size and dispersion in air. It can be easily ignited in the
form of dust or steel wool or as fine turnings or chips containing oil. Structural steel has a
specific gravity of 7.83 and melting point of 2605°F (1430°C). When heated above 600°F
(315°C), it begins to lose strength rapidly.

Shadou

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 10, 2015, 12:14:24 AM
That may be a good solution for those few of you that are skilled at programming and versed in modding Rimworld, but those unlucky masses of us that aren't blessed with those kind of skills are a little S.O.L.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 10, 2015, 12:14:24 AM
That may be a good solution for those few of you that are skilled at programming and versed in modding Rimworld, but those unlucky masses of us that aren't blessed with those kind of skills are a little S.O.L.

Err, just locate the wall xml file (using search) then thier is literally a varibal called flammability. Anyone could do it.

Quote from: TLHeart on October 10, 2015, 12:17:19 AM
Quote from: PixelatedDonkey on October 09, 2015, 10:27:51 PM

What do you mean stone walls are not secure enough, steel walls have 350 strength.
stone walls go from sandstone at 490 to granite at 595 strength, much stronger than steel walls.

and steel is flammable,

Iron (Fe): Specific gravity, 7.86; melting point, 2802°F (1540°C). Iron presents a dust hazard
under favoring conditions of particle size and dispersion in air. It can be easily ignited in the
form of dust or steel wool or as fine turnings or chips containing oil. Structural steel has a
specific gravity of 7.83 and melting point of 2605°F (1430°C). When heated above 600°F
(315°C), it begins to lose strength rapidly.

Get an Fe wall and put a lighter up to it. It won't go up in blazes.

I'm not going so say Fe isn't flammable, but in the games current state its certainly too flammable.