STARWARS MOD FILES, I'M LEAVING [ALPHA 12]

Started by apljee, November 22, 2015, 12:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apljee

I'm quitting modding! Maybe not forever, but until I am either good enough to finish a project or willing to stay committed enough to finishing a project. Irregardless, here was was my last project that I was working on. It was a Star Wars: The Clone Wars mod for Alpha 12. Unfinished, of course - Please give me credit if anyone decides to finish the mod and/or use any of the textures.

Please know, not much of the mod is finished and there are a lot of features that I never really got around to adding, so don't bother trying to play it or test it, because you'll just get a shit ton of errors and no Star Wars content. (I used Project: Haloverse as a base, there might be some files left over, I'm a bit rusty in terms of the modding scenario, but afaik there aren't any Haloverse files, but there is 3 images. Two apples, and a thread necromancy picture.)

Project: Republic. Goodbye, you guys.

Goodbye, you guys.
Goodbye, you guys. (Music, as the end credits roll up.)

SlimeCrusher

That's why i've never made another attempt to finish Half-Rim. It was to complicated. Too big of a mod.

You do not make more than 2 huge mods in a row, one after another, even though you did realise the first one was too complicated. I'm talking about Project:Eons, it was way too hard for a single person, but you just scrapped it and made another one. You should have made smaller mods instead, experiment with new ideas, and try to come up with something never seen before, but in a small package.

Nobody is interested in joining a dev team from a mod they don't even know if its going to work, if it's going to be good, successful, once they're aware of the potential, some may be interested in joining, but that's the problem, if it's too large, you can't come up with something impressive enough, and no help comes.

If you're ever interested in coming back to modding, take a moment to realise that you have to start small, and not go into a full vanilla conversion. You don't need to make a mod big for it to be successful, take Pawn State Icons as an example, or maybe More Vanilla Turrets. I suggest you take your time and develop tons of crazy ideas and if they work out, release them and see what people think about them. I personally have quite a few relatively finished mods scattered here and there but i don't feel they deserve being released for quite a few reasons, i call them "training mods".

The secret is to not give up, keep releasing mods until one of them works, try to come up with something innovative and small, if you keep trying you'll some day manage to get somewhere, try not to release mods to the unfinished section, you'll probably lose hope in it becoming popular since there's hardly any feedback there. You have quite a lot of potential.

Uh i think i took too much time to write this. BTW, the link doesn't work, it says it requieres you to give me permission :P

apljee

Quote from: SlimeCrusher on November 22, 2015, 01:02:49 AM
That's why i've never made another attempt to finish Half-Rim. It was to complicated. Too big of a mod.

You do not make more than 2 huge mods in a row, one after another, even though you did realise the first one was too complicated. I'm talking about Project:Eons, it was way too hard for a single person, but you just scrapped it and made another one. You should have made smaller mods instead, experiment with new ideas, and try to come up with something never seen before, but in a small package.

Nobody is interested in joining a dev team from a mod they don't even know if its going to work, if it's going to be good, successful, once they're aware of the potential, some may be interested in joining, but that's the problem, if it's too large, you can't come up with something impressive enough, and no help comes.

If you're ever interested in coming back to modding, take a moment to realise that you have to start small, and not go into a full vanilla conversion. You don't need to make a mod big for it to be successful, take Pawn State Icons as an example, or maybe More Vanilla Turrets. I suggest you take your time and develop tons of crazy ideas and if they work out, release them and see what people think about them. I personally have quite a few relatively finished mods scattered here and there but i don't feel they deserve being released for quite a few reasons, i call them "training mods".

The secret is to not give up, keep releasing mods until one of them works, try to come up with something innovative and small, if you keep trying you'll some day manage to get somewhere, try not to release mods to the unfinished section, you'll probably lose hope in it becoming popular since there's hardly any feedback there. You have quite a lot of potential.

Uh i think i took too much time to write this. BTW, the link doesn't work, it says it requieres you to give me permission :P

To adress this in portions:

- You do not make more than 2 huge mods in a row,

I made a smaller mod inbetween them, if you're unaware. EONs had a big team but everyone just lost interest and that was the main reason why it crashed. It wasn't related to my laziness, everyone just lost interest and eventually the project just got scrapped due to lack of art resources mandatory to move forwards.

- Nobody is interested in joining a dev team from a mod they don't even know if it's going to work,

Nobody can really know if any mod will work. The reason that people will join mod teams are if they have the skill, and the project sufficiently interests them or if it really has enough work done on it so that people know that they're not committing time to nothing.

- If you're ever interested in coming back to modding,

I know about all this, that's why I made that really simple torch mod in A10 or A11 or A9 or one of those alphas. And I know now that if I really want to do what I'm trying to do, I'll need C#, which, I will actually commit myself to learning - which will be easier considering next year I'm taking computer science courses in highschool.

- The secret is to not give up,

Yeah, I've realized this. And, about that bit to not releasing mods in the unfinished section, I understand this now aswell. Considering about 4/5 mods that I've ever made were released in that section, I can tell you firsthand it's better to complete a mod and release it in the 'releases' section if I even plan to get support for a next project. It's good to show that I'm able to actually do something. Actions speak louder than words. :p Thanks for saying I have potential, as well.

I think I took a bit too much time to write this aswell, but for me it only took about 6 minutes because I'm a really fast thinker and typer, so yeah. I'll fix the link right now. Thanks for the kind words and I'll take them into consideration before charging back into the modding community. :)
EDIT: Link (should be) fixed.

JorJor

It is a sad day.  :( Have some more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y                                             Totaly did not have anything to do with project republic.