Random crashing

Started by Dragula, December 06, 2015, 09:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragula

Ever since i started playing again last week, RW A12 crashes on a regular basis. When i run it from a terminal all it reports back is "aborted". No detailed report, nothing. I have not been able to find a single clue on what happened before a crash since it seems to be completley random and it is becoming quite annoying, at least it has regular autosaves.....

I'm running Debian 8 on a HP DV6
I5-430M
Nvidia G 105M(Nvidia drivers)
4Gb RAM

Coenmcj

Is that a HP Pavillion DV6?
I used to run one of those, lots of hardware issues IIRC, but could still run rimworld on the thing up until the point it started to lag with higher amounts of critters or pawns, but it should be working.

you're not getting anything in the output logs at all?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Dragula

It's a pavillion, yes. My experience is that what shows up in terminal is what is writen to application's logs. I have not looked in Debian/XFCE logs though.

This what happens in terminal after launching RW:

[bas@debian RimWorld914Linux]$ ./RimWorld914Linux.x86_64
Set current directory to /home/bas/Games/RimWorld914Linux
Found path: /home/bas/Games/RimWorld914Linux/RimWorld914Linux.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/bas/Games/RimWorld914Linux/RimWorld914Linux_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/bas/Games/RimWorld914Linux/RimWorld914Linux_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/bas/Games/RimWorld914Linux/RimWorld914Linux_Data/Mono/etc'
/dev/input/js0: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)
/dev/input/js0: fd 3, buttons 0, axes 3, name ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerometer
/dev/input/js0: axis  0: raw    866, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis  1: raw   -781, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis  2: raw  13523, mapped 0.000000

After a crash the only line added is "Aborted"

milon

Sounds like the OS might be terminating the game, then. (Otherwise, I assume RW would say why it's quitting.)

Do you run any other CPU-intense games? With what results?
Check the OS logs. Anything relevant?
How's the system temperature in general, and during gaming?  (I've had shut-down issues because a crappy graphics card was overheating.)

Dragula

~/var/log/syslog only has reports about dhpc leases.
/home/Bas/.xsession-errors does not report anything remotely regarding the crashes either, only some GTK errors when i run Iceweasel or Darktable.
~/var/log/Xorg.0.log stops logging after X has been started.

Am i looking the wrong direction? As far as i know XFCE logs errors in ~var/log/ and ~/home/[user]/Xsession-errors.

It might be the laptop though.... I don't do a lot of heavy applications. The only game other than RW are Gnomoria and Terraria in the last month, both get killed too. Even Iceweasel, Darktable and Thunar are getting killed every now and then. Darktable a bit more then i find entertaining tbh. It does not seem to matter how long i am working on it though, so i don't think it's a a temperture thing.

milon

I don't know where you'd find any more relevant logs on Linux, sorry.  Consider trying a temperature monitor app and see what it says, just in case.  Beyond that, I'm not the guy to help you.

Dragula

It's ok. I have been looking in several similar crashes for months now and have not found a single shred of info that was of any help. It only occured to me that it was possibly a linux/hardware conflict after i posted my last reply.

milon

If you can, try dual booting Windows or another linux distro and see if that affects stability.

Dragula

Had crashes when i was using Arch and Manjaro(Arch fork) so it's not that. I don't have windows installed and prefer not to unless strictly necessary. So i can kind of have to live with the random kills until a solution pops up somewhere. Principles can be a bitch.

milon

It does sound like a hardware problem then.  But if you still want to try other options...

1. You could try the Windows version through WINE
2. You could try the Windows version on ReactOS (opensource implementation of the NT architecture, designed to be driver and application compatible) - but only on a system that you won't mind crashing or data loss.  Unstable alpha OS's can do that.

But I think your best bet is to replace the faulty hardware, or just get another computer.