RimWorld portable?

Started by wiscrack, December 07, 2015, 01:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiscrack

Hi!

I bought this game few months back (when the durability on items was added) and since than had to sell my home PC to pay for school and settle with school laptop.

Now since I cant install anything on laptop I was wondering if there is an option on how to run RimWorld without admin rights? It would really make my boring nights when there are nothing to do as I didn't enjoy a game like this in a long time, money well spent. If there is no way what so ever than well all I have left is YouTube and...no not even social medias like Facebook.

Anyways thanks in advance if any one knows how to make "RimWorld" portable or just if it cant be made because of certain reasons!

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

milon

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16751.msg181043#msg181043

That'll let you store save games anywhere you like.  Just put the RimWorld folder on a USB stick, and designate a folder on the same stick for saves.  Just watch out for changing drive letters between computers.

The game shouldn't need admin rights at all.  At least, it doesn't on my Win7 setup.

wiscrack

I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." error message when I try to run off USB.

harpo99999

are you using the shortcut trick that is mentioned in the readme.txt in the game archive?
which windows version are you using?

wiscrack

I am using Win 8 and yes I am using the shortcut trick, or at least I think I do. I am not sure I set it up correctly thou but even with shortcut it says that error message.

harpo99999

Quote from: wiscrack on December 09, 2015, 12:31:11 AM
I am using Win 8 and yes I am using the shortcut trick, or at least I think I do. I am not sure I set it up correctly thou but even with shortcut it says that error message.
I have tested my shortcut that I created in my win7 system, and on my win8.1 it works fine. the method I used to create the shortcut was to right moseclick the rimworld exe then left click on the create shortcut,highlight and copy the quoted text " -savedatafolder SaveData" including the space, then right mouse click on the shortcut then left click on the properties then in the target box  press the 'end' key to get to the end of the text, then press the CTRL & V keys togeather to paste the command modification at the end of te target box, then click on the ok button, then test the new shortcut, it should create a new folder called savedata in the folder next to the exe & shortcut, inside the savedata is where the mods and saves will go

wiscrack

Will try this when I get home, would you mind uploading your "setup" of it in case I somehow fail to make it work again and see if yours work or would that be against game policy sharing the files (note that I bought the game so I don't know).

wiscrack

Here is the photo of how error looks like when I done everything.

milon

Your problem is either a bad path (where is the exe located, and where is the shortcut pointing?) or else bad permission (is RimWorld still trying to access the %AppData% folder?).  If it's the former, it's an easy fix.  If it's the latter, I'm not sure what the solution is.

wiscrack

Exe is located on external thingy and I this is the path location: "E:\RimWorld914Win\RimWorld914Win.exe -savedatafolder SaveData"

As far as I think I did everything there is said to be done but still no working! :/ Oh well...

milon

Okay, next approach: forget the shortcut.  Open a command window and enter the following command:
E:\RimWorld914Win\RimWorld914Win.exe -savedatafolder SaveData

Does that work?  If not, I can only think that there's a problem with the portable drive itself, or the driver Windows is using to access it, or else some kind of crazy software firewall action of some kind.

EDIT - Moving this thread to Support. I'm not the only one who can help, but people looking to help look there.  ;)