Multi-core support

Started by Nickname34, January 19, 2016, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ectoplasm

Quote from: hoho on February 19, 2016, 06:04:38 AM
...re few previous posts..

Insightful stuff, thanks. Always nice to have the voodoo of coding explained :)

mrofa

Im not sure why you guys got the problem with multi core, works perfect for me :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Vas

Quote from: Ectoplasm on February 19, 2016, 02:12:16 PM
Quote from: hoho on February 19, 2016, 06:04:38 AM
...re few previous posts..
Insightful stuff, thanks. Always nice to have the voodoo of coding explained :)
I agree, Hoho explained things without insulting me or being hostile.  I'll have to go through and read it all when I get back.  :P

Ramsis, will you lock the topic?  There's no real point for it to continue being up.  I failed at trying to stop people from trolling anyone who suggests a feature and made things worse by guessing and making theories without prior knowledge of how threading works.  I'm not sure who you mean about the perma ban thing though.

Quote from: mrofa on February 19, 2016, 03:21:43 PM
Im not sure why you guys got the problem with multi core, works perfect for me :D

I have 64 AI cores attached to my machine.  :|  It only takes 1.21GW!
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

jzero

Quote from: Vas on February 20, 2016, 07:56:15 PM

Ramsis, will you lock the topic?  There's no real point for it to continue being up.  I failed at trying to stop people from trolling anyone who suggests a feature and made things worse by guessing and making theories without prior knowledge of how threading works.  I'm not sure who you mean about the perma ban thing though.

+1 to this. I feel that this thread has gone the way of
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17451.0
that one. So, yes Ramsis. Please do
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Vas

Quote from: jzero on February 21, 2016, 09:45:42 AM+1 to this. I feel that this thread has gone the way of
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17451.0
that one. So, yes Ramsis. Please do
You missed a period at the end of "please do" and forgot to put a semi colon after "way of", or some other mark of some kind before the next line! :o
*is just teasing, your sig has grammar nazi in it! :P*

Forum threads often get heated when there are two clashing sides, it's an inevitable part of the human condition.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

RemingtonRyder

You could agree to disagree. It's better than continually locking horns.

magik20

I just want to throw my support behind the need for multi-core or any other solution to increase FPS in mid to late game scenarios.

I have currently 22 pawns, running on a small map (on purpose) with an 5930x Intel, one of the best processors out.  At best I am getting 30 FPS at 3x.  It's quite frustrating, more so because this game is one of the best I've ever played and its being held back by performance issues and lack of better (tm) modding support.

If an entire version cycle (or more) was spent only on performance and modding support it would ensure this game is played for a decade, much like you see with the Civilization Series.

Wishmaster

The subject seem to be still up do date. A17b has just been released.
I understand that implementing multi-core support on RimWorld is not as easy.
However I am pretty sure it can do few things.

Did anyone mention that perhaps, maps could be ticked individually using their own thread ?
I don't think maps have to "wait for each other" to be done processing.

Of course this is only pertinent if have multiple maps within a single world. Yet why it could not be a nice improvement for this particular situation ?

Beside, what about running "world elements" in its own thread as-well ?

Limdood

Quote from: Vas on January 26, 2016, 12:10:47 AM
And now you people see why it's hard to keep new community members here. 
They could read the stickied posts and run a search...just saying

Perq

Oh my, this thread sure turned out to be can of worms. :@ Not that it is first time I see heated discussions about multi-threading in games. Seems that many people get annoyed over weak-core multi-core processors. :c

Quote from: Vas on February 22, 2016, 03:36:15 AM
Forum threads often get heated when there are two clashing sides, it's an inevitable part of the human condition.
While I agree that heated discussion can be productive (far more productive than silencing anything that is remotely controversial coughdiscordcough), I see no point in personal attacks or talking about people. :V Heck, you can even get angry and frustrated, but why target people with your anger? There are plenty of better ways of letting it out (if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)). :P
Discuss, but don't hate each other! Yay!

My (useless) 5 cents: Single core speed isn't improving any time soon (due to technical limitations, as I understand it), so if the game starts running slow on almost-best-single-core-possible, multi-threading will be a must. I think we are far from there, and there is plenty of optimization work to do still, so maybe it isn't necessary. That said, the earlier it is implemented, the less work it would need (I got this one right, right?). So the grand question is: will final RimWorld be big enough to overwhelm a powerful single-core?
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

TeraRaptor

i have over 300 hours in game, literally have like 17 game files, and i have tested on stream "twitch", adding MODS, i have 70+ mods and found they didn't had a major impact. Naked Game, and Modded Game,  had the same issues, late game I've tried getting rid of Zoning all together. BUT REALLY it is just postponing the inevitable. I LOVE THE GAME, I WAS BLOWN OUT OF MY MIND WHEN I SAW IT, PLAYED IT, ADDED MODS, TEST IT, but at this point i can't recommend RimWorld because it has a hardware cap. and no matter how much you want to NOT LEAVE THE PLANET, and JUST STAY WITH YOUR COLONY, you CAN'T because eventually it will become unplayable. Due to Hardware CAP, i know it's ALPHA and i know it's up to the devs but it's just sad to find something you like and can't fully play the extend of it.

Late game is just awful.

CookieWizard

The game will eventually die if this isn't added. As the game goes further into development more mechanics will exist that will have to be accounted for and along with the increase in the size of the modding community the lack of multi-core support will only make Rimworld harder and harder to play. Is this a hefty task to undertake? Yes. But it's worth it and the longer it's ignored the worse it'll be.

oofsed

Tynan plz fix, We need multi core support so my 4 core Intel i7 doesn't literally melt the motherboard and I can have 4 cores operating half capacity instead of one doing max load

sick puppy

easy fix for everyone: buy an old computer with a single core three and a half ghz processor. put your gaming graphics card inside of it and pimp it with some ram. done. in the very worst case you might need to get a new motherboard and electric parts for it to take more watts

download an old windows version, maybe windows xp, maybe win 7 (there is no reason to ever use vista)
ideally, look for 64bit but that is rarely possible with such old machines. since you cant get 64bit, you might aswell go xp in some regards. but i guess you should experiment or look up the games you wanna play on it.

and all your (oldschool-) gaming problems solved for decades to come. look at it as your nintendo switch for pc games

CarmaSmitherman

I have the normal version of Windows and on that this game runs perfectly, I think due to unwanted files this issue may occur, by deleting this files the game can support the graphics of the picture.