True 'Random' Start

Started by falcongrey, January 15, 2016, 10:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falcongrey

I'm hoping that eventually Tynan puts in a 'True' random start. And let me explain because I know it does have a random start ability. (Though this talk may be better in the 'suggestions' threads...)

Right now you have a random start by 'creating a world', though you could edit the seed and get to see what you are getting. You can randomize the colonists, though again you can edit each one kind of but at least see before hand what you are working with. And you can pick the level of difficulties and who is telling the story. And you then can select 'Random' on the map to place it where you may look and say 'nah... another random'.

What I would love to see is instead of selecting even 'who' tells the story, you have the option to select "Random". Everything is done for you, including selecting how hard the difficulty levels are and who the story teller is. You simply select "Random Start" and go directly to the 3 colonists crashing to the planet in an unspecified place. This would make for a very challenging start in the sense that you have NO clue ahead of time what is going to happen or what you will have to work with. You don't even know how hard raids or random events are going to slam into you. It may be a milk run or you're doomed before you even began; you simply do not know.

Grey
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

A Friend

I'm not sure randomizing the difficulty and story teller would be all that great. I for one would use the heck out of this. But I don't want to end up in Easy Basebuilder.
Another thing you could randomize would be equipment and resources.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

falcongrey

Quote from: A Friend on January 15, 2016, 11:10:55 PM
I'm not sure randomizing the difficulty and story teller would be all that great. I for one would use the heck out of this. But I don't want to end up in Easy Basebuilder.

I personally wouldn't mind setting the difficulty and story teller for the same reasons, but I like the idea also of the 'randomized start equipment'. On a thinking side of it, you could be waking up on a ship where no one sat up the escape pods properly and may only get down there to find "Oh hay, I have a pack of gum! What did you get?" situation.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

windruf

Quote from: falcongrey on January 15, 2016, 11:19:01 PM

I personally wouldn't mind setting the difficulty and story teller for the same reasons, but I like the idea also of the 'randomized start equipment'. On a thinking side of it, you could be waking up on a ship where no one sat up the escape pods properly and may only get down there to find "Oh hay, I have a pack of gum! What did you get?" situation.

true. resources in pods are standard: some steel, wood, survival packs and a pistol.
on the other hand - someone can take her fawored teddy bear with. and someone his fawored gun.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Maybe there is a true random mode and a semi random mode that lets you set minimums for things like difficulty and supplies as well as a maximum
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Kregoth

Actually I have always thought it be kind of cool to have a random start by selecting the type of ship your colonist survived from. Let say you choose a military ship, the game will start you with random colonists, but with high chances they have skills most military ships would have.

In game terms selecting a ship would just filter the results for randomization with high chances of skills related to that ship, and lower chances for skills not related. Be a cool way to give a player a bit more choice in how to start, but still be at the mercy of RND. Try starting with a diplomatic ship, not a lot of laborers there :P

Andy_Dandy

I'd like a true random start as well, but I want to be able to choose storyteller and difficulty. I wont risk getting anything else then Cassandra Extreme.

Dawa1147

I too would like a checkboc or something similar that would randomise your starting gear. The other things are Random (even though resisting "maybe a different random" can be hard), but random difficulty and/or storyteller is a bit iffy imo. Still a great idea, makes each adventure more unique!