[A12d] Fenris

Started by Kaballah, January 28, 2016, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

A Rimworld Alpha 12 mod that adds a monstrous version of the warg, the Fenris; tweaks the Ice Sheet biome to allow them to spawn there; and adds a variant Manhunter Pack incident to spawn them in other biomes.  They are huge, dangerous, and very hungry for colonist flesh.  The special Manhunter incident has a cooldown of 100 days (1 Rimworld year).

Note: this mod will conflict with any mod that alters the Ice Sheet biome.

DOWNLOAD FENRIS A12

License: You may redistribute or bundle this mod as part of a mod pack, provided that no money changes hands (no selling, no donations related to your modpack, etc).  No special restrictions on personal use.  Have fun!

Update: reduced the rate of hunger (they're supposed to be hungry but not THAT hungry)

Note: If you want some fenris to appear on the map more regularly, edit Mods\Fenris\Defs\BiomeDefs\IceSheet_Fenris.xml and increase animalDensity from 0.1 to some larger number.  The way it works by default, some few fenris may (or may not) be present on embark, they will get hungry and leave the map - to hibernate a while and get even hungrier and come back as a manhunter pack  8)

Kaballah

My first live test with this, my grandmaster tamer angered one of the fenris on a bad tame creature roll and they all killed her, then the rest of my poor colonists.   It works 8) 

Huntakilla

This looks awesome, I'll be definitely trying it!

Vas

This seems more like something that should be an event and untamable :P  You don't name a creature that there is more than one of "Fenris" after all.  :P  Would be like naming all large two headed dragons Vendral :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Kaballah

Well it's still a science fiction game after all, and I mainly wanted a carnivore alternative to the Thrumbo.

Vas

The name has nothing to do with science fiction, it's just odd.  :P
"Hey look, a pack of Fenris running towards us.  You think maybe we should run?"
-nah, there's only like 28 Fenris there.-
"They look hungry..."
*solar flare, eclipse, conduit-nukesplosion-event all simultaniously happen* (Because that's what the game story tellers do, screw up everything illogically and just because troll.  :P)
-The turrets are down now...  WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!-

I dunno, I was just suggesting a different name is all and making Fenris a one of a kind boss that happens on an event.  :P  Maybe make him stronger too than he currently is and king of a warg pack when they spawn.  :P  Since the smaller ones are called Wargs, youcould name this one Worg, and plural would be Worgs.  And then a random event spawns Fenris with a pack of Worgs and Wargs.

Throwing some ideas out there is all.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

NoImageAvailable

The name is fine, but one thing I'm not sure about is having animals with carnivorous diet spawn in the wild. Does the game not lack predator behavior for those types, i.e. unless there is random meat left lying around by the colonists they won't eat anything and just leave the map?

Also, it would be good if you could add this to the New Mods thread that's stickied so it doesn't vanish somewhere on page 3 of the mods forum.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

skyarkhangel

Good idea, for Ice Biome animal, it too not enough

Grimandevil

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 30, 2016, 11:29:02 AM
Does the game not lack predator behavior for those types, i.e. unless there is random meat left lying around
random meat left lying around..
random meat..
....lying around....
Make em eat frozen raider corpses!
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Kaballah

The name is fine, but one thing I'm not sure about is having animals with carnivorous diet spawn in the wild. Does the game not lack predator behavior for those types, i.e. unless there is random meat left lying around by the colonists they won't eat anything and just leave the map?

Yep that's what happens, there is no built in predator AI and I'm not up to writing one.  If someone else is, feel free, although I encourage you to make it an infrastructure-type mod that can be applied to any new animals added.  Maybe get it added to and integrated with CCL.

QuoteAlso, it would be good if you could add this to the New Mods thread that's stickied so it doesn't vanish somewhere on page 3 of the mods forum.

Thanks, I'll do that!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Kaballah on January 30, 2016, 03:32:07 PM

Yep that's what happens, there is no built in predator AI and I'm not up to writing one.  If someone else is, feel free, although I encourage you to make it an infrastructure-type mod that can be applied to any new animals added.  Maybe get it added to and integrated with CCL.

IIRC Project K9 used to have a ThinkTree for predation back in A11 and I think skyarkhangel based a mod off of an A12 compatible version of it. It had predators seek out and kill other animals, then "butcher" them to spawn appropriate amounts of meat from the corpse. Might be worth looking into adapting it.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

isistoy

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on January 30, 2016, 05:58:05 PM
IIRC Project K9 used to have a ThinkTree for predation back in A11 and I think skyarkhangel based a mod off of an A12 compatible version of it. It had predators seek out and kill other animals, then "butcher" them to spawn appropriate amounts of meat from the corpse. Might be worth looking into adapting it

Hello guys.

Yes, Project K9 was created with a carnivorous AI thinktree and jobs you just described (hunting, butchering corpses).

Jobs were programmed so that animals may also try to hunt/defend as if being part of a herd. This might be simplified for your own mod creature, if a solo hunting beast.
It has been customized and corrected by Sky in Enduro (A12).

Project K9 source for A11 is here: https://github.com/isistoy/Projectk9_A11
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Vas on January 30, 2016, 07:29:22 AM
The name has nothing to do with science fiction, it's just odd.  :P
"Hey look, a pack of Fenris running towards us.  You think maybe we should run?"
-nah, there's only like 28 Fenris there.-
"They look hungry..."
*solar flare, eclipse, conduit-nukesplosion-event all simultaniously happen* (Because that's what the game story tellers do, screw up everything illogically and just because troll.  :P)
-The turrets are down now...  WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!-

I dunno, I was just suggesting a different name is all and making Fenris a one of a kind boss that happens on an event.  :P  Maybe make him stronger too than he currently is and king of a warg pack when they spawn.  :P  Since the smaller ones are called Wargs, youcould name this one Worg, and plural would be Worgs.  And then a random event spawns Fenris with a pack of Worgs and Wargs.

Throwing some ideas out there is all.  :P

Warg actually has a meaning.

Okay, sit down kids, the lesson starts now.  ::)

Vargr is a term for "wolf" in Old Norse, the Old English equivalent of that is "warg".
In Norse mythology, Fenrir (son of Loki, father of the wolves, who is to kill Odin during Ragnarök) is a monstrous wolf, and he and his sons, Sköll ("One Who Mocks", the wolf chasing the sun through the sky) and Hati ("One Who Hates", the wolf who chasing the moon), are called "wargs". Or rather, Vargr, but these are synonyms anyway.

If you're wondering, they're chasing the sun and the moon because they want to devour it.
Like father like son, huh?

Anyway...The word "warg" (and any similar synonyms) is most often used to describe wolf-like creatures, evil in nature.
Possibly because it's associated with Fenrir (and his sons), who weren't exactly described as a peaceful pets.

Fenris? I suppose that name comes from Fenrir.
And worg? Worg is a Warg in World of Warcraft. They just changed a letter because...of reasons. They have this habit.
To me, both sound kinda...
...no offense, but lame.

"Úlfr" (or ulfr) is another term for "wolf" in Old Norse, or "úlfrinn" for "the wolf", in case you're looking for some very viking-ish name.
Or freki (because Odin's wolf, meaning "the ravenous").
...Or valdyr...
Yes, synonyms.

Kaballah

Quote from: isistoy on January 30, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
Yes, Project K9 was created with a carnivorous AI thinktree and jobs you just described (hunting, butchering corpses).

Jobs were programmed so that animals may also try to hunt/defend as if being part of a herd. This might be simplified for your own mod creature, if a solo hunting beast.
It has been customized and corrected by Sky in Enduro (A12).

Project K9 source for A11 is here: https://github.com/isistoy/Projectk9_A11

I am super, super lazy and besides that I don't own a compiler and am pretty worthless when it comes to programming, even if I can read somebody else's code and puzzle out a few things. 

isistoy

Quote from: Kaballah on January 31, 2016, 12:32:47 AM

I am super, super lazy and besides that I don't own a compiler and am pretty worthless when it comes to programming, even if I can read somebody else's code and puzzle out a few things.
Ok, well... I am lazy too! Reasons why it's still A11.
It would have made such a nice start for a generic carnivorous AI though...
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>