Penalties for carrying weapons?

Started by Fruit loops, March 02, 2016, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruit loops

I don't know if this is just me, but if I had to lug around a mini-gun, or a rifle, I'd tire much faster than If I had a pocket knife, or small pistol. I'm not sure If I would give the pawn a mood debuff, since I'd assume after the first few raids the colonist would be quite paranoid without one.

this might give weapon racks more purpose and make raids that land in/on your base more threatening.
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Shad

A few mods give move/work speed penalties for carrying heavy weapons. Yes, this does make airdrop raids more dangerous.

Mikhail Reign

Lys

Afaik carrying large weapons such as miniguns does slow pawns down even in vanilla.

Mkok

Actually, this aint such a bad idea. But it would require some action button, that makes everyone rush to pick up his weapon. Otherwise it would be a micro-managing hell once you have more then few colonists.

Jettuh

Ha, i remember a game called Evil Genius (amazing game!)

In this game, if you clicked on "Stand Down", nobody (except a few higher ranked guys) was carrying a weapon.
When you click on Alert (orange), all minions would go to the armory and pick up a gun. they wouldn't fire on anyone unless you marked a target.
When you click on Alert (red), all minions would get their gun and would shoot anyone on sight!

Maybe a cool feature?

Grimandevil

Quote from: Mkok on March 03, 2016, 06:50:02 AM
Actually, this aint such a bad idea. But it would require some action button, that makes everyone rush to pick up his weapon. Otherwise it would be a micro-managing hell once you have more then few colonists.
there is EdB Interface mod, that sends your chosen colonists to battlestations destined positions, where u can store required equipments.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

mumblemumble

I like the alert level idea..  Though,  i think colonists should try defending themselves anyway,  or at least be aware about danger.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

IkeaSwede

If they implement some form of "ownership" to guns - and have a button for unequip and equip then this would work really really well.

RoboticManiac

Quote from: IkeaSwede on March 06, 2016, 04:57:26 AM
If they implement some form of "ownership" to guns - and have a button for unequip and equip then this would work really really well.
That would make sense, but without it the concept is the very incarnation of micro management-hell. At that, it's very little 'bang for your buck'.

Fruit loops

I'm not sure implementing an entire new system for a simple penalty Is necessary, but I think it would be worth It If you were to add some more functions to the alert system, such as:

-AI improvements: not having your cook go grab some potatoes, while you're shooting at a crashed ship part. maybe while your on alert mode your colonists try to stay indoors, or avoid low priority tasks, such as hauling rocks, or grabbing a weapon.

-having your colonist who was incapacitated grab a weapon before heading to the battle.

-when prison escape attempts take place, your colonists would head to the breach, instead of crafting your statue.

-when you accept the "I'll join your colony but you'll have to fight my captors" event happens, some of your colonists will decide to arm your turrets

-taking from the last one, maybe when you go on alert one of your colonists will switch the turrets on.
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

mumblemumble

I want to say, speed limits / boosts from equipment would be extremely interesting, and open a new demension of tactics. No longer would m16s, snipers, and miniguns be the gold standard for most engagements, but it would really give small guns like pistols, pdws, and shotguns a boost of power respectively.

Would also be interesting if more simple guns like pistols, shotguns, and perhaps rifles had a lower "skill ceiling", getting closer results between novice and expert simply because they are easier to use.

Though if im honest, I wish the shooting stat was more than just hit chance, perhaps effecting rate of fire, and ready to fire time.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

IkeaSwede

Quote from: RoboticManiac on March 06, 2016, 02:55:36 PM
Quote from: IkeaSwede on March 06, 2016, 04:57:26 AM
That would make sense, but without it the concept is the very incarnation of micro management-hell. At that, it's very little 'bang for your buck'.
Oh yeah absolutely. I do tynan will eventually add ownership.

Grimandevil

Quote from: Fruit loops on March 06, 2016, 03:55:17 PM
-AI improvements: not having your cook go grab some potatoes, while you're shooting at a crashed ship part. maybe while your on alert mode your colonists try to stay indoors, or avoid low priority tasks, such as hauling rocks, or grabbing a weapon.
there is allowed zones. once the danger comes, u switch your colonists to safe zone, and only drafted colonists have freedom of movement.
all in all, i think, u want the game be played by itself. wheres the fun in that?
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Devon_v

Speed penalties or not, the rim is a dangerous place, and I'd never put my weapon down.

In my current colony a big dumb brick went berserk in the middle of the night and went next door to pummel a skilled, wounded colonist I actually need. Fortunately she sleeps with her shotgun under the pillow. (And he survived, at least that time)