New update features

Started by juanval, March 22, 2016, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanval

Hello developers,

while we are waiting for the new alpha, could you advance a list with the new features?

Thanks in advance  ;D

JimmyAgnt007

Everything Tynan is willing to make public is in the dev blog.

http://ludeon.com/blog/

read the last few entries.

humblebundle

Quote from: juanval on March 22, 2016, 12:42:30 PM
Hello developers,

while we are waiting for the new alpha, could you advance a list with the new features?

Thanks in advance  ;D
I think they will tell us, if it's out.

As far i know:
- People who leave the map while traveling, fleeing, being kidnapped, etc. can come back later as raiders, visitors, joiners, etc.
- New diseases with new mechanics.
- New "firefoam popper" provides a way to combat fire besides punching it.
- Prison breaks. Prisoners pick the locks, get out, seek weapons and work as a group to escape.
- Self-reproducing, spreading underground insect hives
- Colonist family and social relationship system / Social relationships with friends, rivals, family, chats, arguments, and fights
- Many more animals, some of which will hunt people
- "Components" resource used for machinery and electronics
- Ground-traveling trade caravans from other factions
- Character records which keep stats on each character like number of kills, injuries, surgeries, etc.
- Extreme desert biome
- New events
- better art
- New research stuff
- New stuff to build (e.g. fueled buildings)
- (gay) marriage
- code improvements

but Tynan said "But just in general, I don't think the "make the game longer by adding more content to consume" linear model is the right one for RW"
and
"I'm hoping things like relationships will actually add a lot more endgame"

http://ludeon.com/blog/
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17451.90
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

Tynan

Thanks for compiling that; I'm actually referencing it to make sure I don't forget to put anything in the update video :p
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

I expanded it into a fuller list.

Edit: Posted on ludeon.com blog

Innese

A13 hype!
What I look forward to the most from the list:
1. - Deeper research tree with more low-tech options and more things to research
2. - New fueled buildings: stove and generator
3. - Many more animals, some of which will hunt people

Low tech/no tech game here I come!

juanval

Great to see the big amount of features. I started playing just when alpha 12 was released and this was a beautiful experience.

NoImageAvailable

I take it a lot of the feedback from the old Steam release discussion regarding Rimworld completion was taken into account here. Only thing I'm not sure about is the decrease in year length. Seasons already feel like they're flying by and this is going to make it even worse.

Also, is it just me or does every new Alpha seem intent on making mountain bases the only way to go? Now you have insect jelly for harvesting as well as man-eating animals to punish outdoors colonies even more. Something to actually encourage staying outside would be nice.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Grimandevil

making mountain bases require extensive air ventilation\filtering, with vent outlets outside the mountain (so that riders would target em), could help maybe.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Tynan

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 24, 2016, 04:37:42 PM
I take it a lot of the feedback from the old Steam release discussion regarding Rimworld completion was taken into account here. Only thing I'm not sure about is the decrease in year length. Seasons already feel like they're flying by and this is going to make it even worse.

Also, is it just me or does every new Alpha seem intent on making mountain bases the only way to go? Now you have insect jelly for harvesting as well as man-eating animals to punish outdoors colonies even more. Something to actually encourage staying outside would be nice.

What decrease in year length?

As for mountain bases, the infestations are there to punish dwarfing. They're quite dangerous, likely to kill people, and actually getting insect jelly is likely to be tricky and bloody.

Innese

Quote from: Tynan on March 24, 2016, 05:02:50 PM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 24, 2016, 04:37:42 PM

As for mountain bases, the infestations are there to punish dwarfing. They're quite dangerous, likely to kill people, and actually getting insect jelly is likely to be tricky and bloody.

I think this might have been the 'decrease in year length' being mentioned:
Days are now twice as long as before, with years being half as many days. The year is now split into seasons instead of months.

Tynan

The year is exactly the same duration. It's just divided into days differently.

Shad

Why are days being changed? I kinda liked long winters, which made planning and stockpiling important. Or is the day length increase required due to so many new possible activities for colonists?

I'm a bit worried the long day will make bleeding completely irrelevant. It's already takes a a day to bleed out, which is very long. With a day being twice as long, bleeding from a ripped off arm and a hole in the chest may become a minor annoyance.

Tynan

Quote from: Shad on March 24, 2016, 05:44:56 PM
Why are days being changed? I kinda liked long winters, which made planning and stockpiling important. Or is the day length increase required due to so many new possible activities for colonists?

The day length is changed; the year length isn't.

And your third sentence was correct.

Everything got rebalanced around this.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Tynan on March 24, 2016, 05:02:50 PM

I was referring to this

QuoteDays are now twice as long as before, with years being half as many days. (This means that years are exactly as long as before.)

I.e. even though the absolute amount of time in ticks would stay the same the time in days would be reduced. But I can see how longer days could balance it out so I'll just wait and see on that one.

QuoteAs for mountain bases, the infestations are there to punish dwarfing. They're quite dangerous, likely to kill people, and actually getting insect jelly is likely to be tricky and bloody.

That's what I figured but I'm a bit skeptical how well they would hold up to unconventional tactics, e.g. if you mine into a hive you could presumably just wall off the shaft and put up a bunch of campfires to burn the insects out. Of course, since I haven't actually seen the system in action this is all speculation and it might already account for that so again, wait and see.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."