Painstopper

Started by PotatoeTater, March 27, 2016, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PotatoeTater

I ran into a trader carrying a "painstopper", from the description I assume it stops the pain debuff and enables a pawn to remain conscious through extreme trauma. Has anyone else experimented with this?
Life is Strange

mumblemumble

Very,  very nice bionic effect. I've used it in debug,  and it makes your colonist a lot like a centipede,  in that they are very hard to take down unless the brain or heart gets totalled. It only stops PAIN of course,  not damage,  so don't think they are invincible,  but they can certainly be more tanky than most.

Combined with power armor,  synth thread clothes  ,  you can take an immense beating,  so long as nothing fatal / disabling hits (brain,  heart,  leg amputation).

Definitely worth the money as a combat ace in the hole,  especially paired with power armor and a minigun
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

PotatoeTater

I figured that was the effect you would get, sounds like it is worth the money, I wonder what a person with all bionic upgrades, power armor, synth clothes, and a minigun would do lol.
Life is Strange

mumblemumble

Well,  with how the health of limbs works,  it might be better to NOT have bionic limbs with it,  here's why.

With a bionic leg for instance,  you have only so much hp for the entire limb,  and the entire leg region takes this. Compared to say,  a fleshy leg,  you can hit the foot,  toes,  ect,  and they have seperate health counters. So for painstopper in particular, the normal legs are better as theres damage spread out more,  which is more important when pain isn't a factor, because a full flesh body can on average take more shots before deterioration,  because toes,  feet,  fingers,  ect,  provide a small buffer to make leg amputation less likely,  where as bionics don't have bionic fingers,  toes,  ect,  meaning any damage that would "just"  remove a toe now makes the bionic limb that much closer to getting ripped off.

Though honestly,  i wonder if this just means bionic legs / arms need these bionic counterparts,  which can be repaired by a high crafting rank person using components.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tynan

Moving to public, as this doesn't related to the private build (painstopper has been around a while).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

humblebundle

Quote from: potatoetater on March 27, 2016, 10:29:10 PM
I ran into a trader carrying a "painstopper", from the description I assume it stops the pain debuff and enables a pawn to remain conscious through extreme trauma. Has anyone else experimented with this?
You mean the new trader who walk by? Can you shoot them to get all the loot?
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

Gonorejus

As awesome as painstopper is, it has got one major disadvantage. If a colonist with painstopper goes berserk it is almost impossible to safely deal with without killing them. Usually you would just beat them up untill they collapse from pain, but with a painstopper you just pray to the rng gods that they cut the berserking colonists leg off, but of course they just end up killing him/her. The only safe way (as far as I know) to deal with this is kitting the berserking person 'till the rage passes, but it takes an insane amount of micro.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: mumblemumble on March 27, 2016, 11:40:33 PM
Well,  with how the health of limbs works,  it might be better to NOT have bionic limbs with it,  here's why.

With a bionic leg for instance,  you have only so much hp for the entire limb,  and the entire leg region takes this. Compared to say,  a fleshy leg,  you can hit the foot,  toes,  ect,  and they have seperate health counters. So for painstopper in particular, the normal legs are better as theres damage spread out more,  which is more important when pain isn't a factor, because a full flesh body can on average take more shots before deterioration,  because toes,  feet,  fingers,  ect,  provide a small buffer to make leg amputation less likely,  where as bionics don't have bionic fingers,  toes,  ect,  meaning any damage that would "just"  remove a toe now makes the bionic limb that much closer to getting ripped off.

Though honestly,  i wonder if this just means bionic legs / arms need these bionic counterparts,  which can be repaired by a high crafting rank person using components.

This. This bugs me to no end. If I spend the money making a bionic super solider, they shouldn't be become a glass cannons.

mumblemumble

Yep...stuff like eyes, hearts, and other stuff are all well and good, but the limbs really make people more vulnerable

-----

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: mumblemumble on March 28, 2016, 08:43:50 PM
Yep...stuff like eyes, hearts, and other stuff are all well and good, but the limbs really make people more vulnerable

I always imagined the bionic attachments to be more of a single attachment with some joints in between for proper movement. Unlike the fleshy counterparts, bionics rely more on circuits and what-not, which probably get broken a lot easier in terms of connection than a regular body part. If it were given multiple parts like the organic counterparts when dealing with shots/explosions/melee, you wouldn't have a stub of robo-arm, you'd have a mangled mess of circuitry and metal of what used to be a robo-arm.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on March 28, 2016, 09:34:55 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on March 28, 2016, 08:43:50 PM

I always imagined the bionic attachments to be more of a single attachment with some joints in between for proper movement. Unlike the fleshy counterparts, bionics rely more on circuits and what-not, which probably get broken a lot easier in terms of connection than a regular body part. If it were given multiple parts like the organic counterparts when dealing with shots/explosions/melee, you wouldn't have a stub of robo-arm, you'd have a mangled mess of circuitry and metal of what used to be a robo-arm.

Yeah but the fleshy arms can get a finger or 2 shot off - that same damage on a bionic arm means you lose the arm.

mumblemumble

I don't know, I think glitterworld level bionic parts would be vastly improved on even the best current prototypes, with many failsafes, alternative mechanisms, 5elf diagnostic / debug, and possibly even internal nanites (which would explain how bionic wounds heal up over time) inside it, all making it much more resilient than a normal car part, for example.

Also, the human body is just as delicate, a single shot in "reality", could break main nerve paths /  arteries, and leave you messed up. But rimworld isn't THAT realistic, though very close. I just think we should have parts on the bionic limbs which can be blown off (fingers, toes, ect) and possibly either repaired over a long amount of time through natural nanite repair (so long as the entire limb isn't blown off) Or, repaired by a highly skilled mechanic / medical person. Though, i would honestly prefer long time nanite repair, regenerating mechanical limb parts overtime, assuming the entire thing isn't trashed / removed from the host.

-----

Mathenaut

Shouldn't the bionic parts either have more hp or grant some amount of armor to the person?

Also, could we please implement a pain reduction of some sort with medication. So far it seems that the painstopper is the only means of reducing the pain debuff.

b0rsuk

Last time I checked, painstopper had no effect when colonist was on fire. They still run around like crazy.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 09, 2016, 10:45:15 AM
Last time I checked, painstopper had no effect when colonist was on fire. They still run around like crazy.

There was thread specifically dealing this at one point. One of the drawn conclusions was that it was the threat of the fire, and not the pain, that caused the loss of control.  Being on fire doesn't hurt - if it gets to the point that its burning you (and not just your clothes) your nerve ending are being seared and you don't really feel anything until they start to repair (at while point everything hurts like Satan himself is pissing molten metal on you)