Designer tier ideas, PK also welcome.

Started by salt1219, October 09, 2013, 07:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salt1219

i thought it would be fun to hear some suggestions on what you would add to the game if you were a designer backer.

designer level lets you add a weapon, animal or plant as well as a pirate king.
so lets hear some cool ideas for weapons, animals, plants and interesting pirates!

I have been playing around with the idea of having a pirate king that doesn't want to be a pirate.  he just does it because hes in debt and needs the money.

for an animal it might be cool to have some sort of desert dwelling cephalopod.  i'm not sure what good a octopus can do in the desert but it seemed cool.

alcoholic cactus fruit, its better tasting than paste and increases happiness but negatively impacks work

lastly my weapon idea, how about just a plain old taser? that way i can flank a raider and capture them easily for recruitment.

turnip

I'm at the mercenary level if that counts.
Turnips should be a growable plant.

salt1219

all levels are welcome, i just want to hear some ideas :)

turnips... reminds me of watching fraggle rock as a kid :P  we do need some alternate food choices, great suggestion.

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: salt1219 on October 09, 2013, 07:22:18 PM
    lastly my weapon idea, how about just a plain old taser? that way i can flank a raider and capture them easily for recruitment.

I think this is a good idea! I'd like to see weapons that accomplish different goals. Right now it seems like all the weaponry is meant to kill people, and I feel like there could be more depth to armament than that. It would be great if we saw some creative designer ideas that did something different. In case there are any designers reading, here are some different objectives that might give you ideas:

• Stun/Capture Person - electricity, nets, blunt weapons. The tazer salt1219 mentioned is a good example.
    • Disable Turrets/Powered Devices - EMPs, microwaves, electricity. These could be used for disabling turrets and electric fences, or against drones/robots and similar.
    • Destroy Buildings - fire, shock waves, sonic vibrations. Weapons designed to cause mass damage to structures (which could obviously injure/kill people as well).

That might be focusing too much on weapons though. It's up to the designer to decide whether to do a weapon, animal or plant. In case Tynan sees this thread though, he mentioned an interesting possible event:

Quote from: Tynan on September 17, 2013, 06:49:36 PM
    Megabeast: A generated mega-beast attacks the colony.

Could creating a Megabeast count as "designing an animal?"
    [/list]

Conti027

salt1219

there are three of us out there so far, and you guys have come up with some cool ideas.

i hadn't thought of a megabeast counting as a animal, i hope it does that would be fun.
    i do already have a weapon in mind but i want to keep it hush hush for now but i may change my mind.

another cool idea for a animal would be a forgotten rover (like the mars rover, if robots count as animals)
    it would just wander around the map looking at rocks and sending off info to people who have long forgot about the little rover.

Conti027

Quote from: salt1219 on October 09, 2013, 08:40:27 PM
    there are three of us out there so far, and you guys have come up with some cool ideas.

i hadn't thought of a megabeast counting as a animal, i hope it does that would be fun.
    i do already have a weapon in mind but i want to keep it hush hush for now but i may change my mind.

another cool idea for a animal would be a forgotten rover (like the mars rover, if robots count as animals)
    it would just wander around the map looking at rocks and sending off info to people who have long forgot about the little rover.

HAHA that rover idea hilariously awesome.

Tynan

One guy wants to give his Pirate King a tool that spawns killer spider-bots. Sounded pretty fun to me! Try waiting behind your turrets for that shit.
    Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Nero

Quote from: Tynan on October 10, 2013, 12:17:04 AM
    One guy wants to give his Pirate King a tool that spawns killer spider-bots. Sounded pretty fun to me! Try waiting behind your turrets for that shit.

lol'd irl.

GC13

Like little spider bots from Invisible War, or giant ones from the first Deus Ex? :D

salt1219

Well there goes my secret... Oh well it was going to come out sometime

I should have told Tynan I was keeping it on the down low :P

Try to act surprised when your colonists all die

AspenShadow

I am actually Designer Tier lol, so Tynan please don't take any of these as my actual choice, but...

•   [Name] - Sleep-inducing flower.
    A plant that makes colonists sleepier the more time they spend around it.
    o   Could be abused by growing one inside prison cell so that prisoner was essentially confined to coma as he'd regenerate 'Rest' by sleeping at the same rate the plant lowered it.

•   Creeper Vine - Heat-seeking vines.
    Vines that grow at an extraordinary rate towards the nearest source of heat. In cold conditions or when deprived of heat (sprayed with fire extinguisher) their growth slows down to manageable levels. Be wary of your base becoming overgrown with the barbed vines in the hotter cycles.

•   Venus Mantrap - Colonist-eating tree-sized flower.
    If a hapless colonist wanders too close to this beauty, then she'll lean down and gobble him up for dinner. They evolved to begin the digestion process right away on such a hostile world and your trapped colonist has a slim chance dependent on his hand-to-hand skill to rip his way out, otherwise the trapped colonist takes periodic damage as he's digested with [time limit] for the others to attack and get him out of there to safety before he dies and becomes plant-food.

•   [Name] - Blood-sucking tall grass.
    Patches of knotted, wild, tall grass that are coated in very fine hollow needle-like barbs that rip into the skin of animals to draw blood that they use for sustenance. It's important to burn away such grass before it feeds on enough blood to grow beyond waist-height and becomes impassable to your colonists who want to live.

•   [Name] - Corrosive fungus.
    This strange mossy fungi can be found in caves and living in the nooks and crannies of most mountains, canyons and subterranean burrows. It secretes an enzyme into the surrounding mineral to break down metallic and ferrous materials for consumption, be very careful not to mine into fungus-heavy stone for resources or you might cart back to your base a fungus that will grow all over your walls and slowly corrode them. They reproduce and spread via spores at a fast rate in dark environments but are noticeably slower to spread in light and the fungus slowly dies and crumbles away in direct UV light.

salt1219

Those sound cool, I hadn't given plants any thought.

So aspenshadow, care to share what you plan to add?
    Mine was leaked see above ^^  but my pirate king and his story are still secret for now :).  I'm toying with the idea of a pirate that doesn't want to be a pirate.  That's the short version anyway without spoiling too many details.

AspenShadow

Haha that would be depriving you of the opportunity to find out for yourself ;)

Those above are but a few selections from the Flora category of a Masterlist of Ideas I'm compiling for my addition to the RimWorld universe. If I get the opportunity to add a certified object to the game it's going to be beloved or hated by most players and requires a lot of thought before I decide on it's final state.

Very nice idea with the Spider-Bots btw, Tynan shared your idea with me in PM after I confirmed Designer status for some inspiration. Never would've thought of it, still I'll leave the weapons up to more warmongering-minds I think, while I'm definitely a sadist I prefer organic to cold steel.

salt1219

Fair enough I look forward to your addition (probably a mega beast?)