Previous topic - Next topic

Do you?

Build the ship
17 (30.4%)
Don't
39 (69.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

sadpickle

Who actually builds a ship? I can't imagine a reason except as some sort of benevolent exporting of undesirables.

Shurp

It's entertaining as a goal if you get bored with your colony.  Instead of clicking "delete"  you can try to evacuate all your colonists.  But not too interesting after the first few times.

I will have to try it once in 13 just to see what it does now.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

muffins

Why would anyone want to waste precious resources on a ship?!?! The very idea horrifies me.

Coenmcj

It's hella expensive, But I eventually do it and I make sure they all make it out. It's all or nothin'
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mathenaut

When I play on Cassandra or Randi, I build the ship.

I consider building the ship on challenging to be the 'default' for Rimworld, mostly because the path to it is pretty static, only the obstacles change. So when I want to try out a new Biome or a new mod to see how it's balanced or how rough it is, I do so on Challenging Cassandra and attempt to build the ship.

Endoric

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Azrail_Iroa

it depends on my mood but mostly when im bored with my colony i let them fly off then im gonna wait one or two years and just look how long my colony will be able to defend itself :)

Robovski

I build the ship for colonies that I'm recording for YouTube, assuming the colony can do so. It gives a goal and an endpoint for the series. Most series however end in flames and death, often dealt by mechanoid swarm who then like to make sure one brick isn't left on top of another while the last colonist bleeds out...

Lady Wolf

EDP's "Prepare Carefully" Mod gave me a reason to build the ship every time actually. (For those who aren't familiar with it, it lets you customize your colonists and starting equipment.)

What I did for a long time (something I recently learned others do too apparently) was after evacuating my colonists I would then load a new game of RW and update my saved EDP colonist roster to incorporate the changes that took place to them on the previous planet. (skills gained, cyberware added, injuries, new recruits, the supplies they launched in the ship with.)

Then I start a new game and "continue" with the group that launched in the ship. The goal is to see how many successful launches the group can make it through before their colony and new ship build fails. And when you choose a random starting location it can make for a challenging scenario every crash, and can give you a good reason to put some thought into what you pack your ship with. (Parkas?  wood? survival rations? crypto pods for the pets? How big do I have the resources to make this ship?)

With out EDP's mod, the ship seems to be just a way to "beat" the game before Randy can manage to kill your colony off.  :P

Dragoon

I build the ship it just feels rewarding.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

skullywag

Did it once, havent done it again.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

keylocke

Quote from: Lady Wolf on April 10, 2016, 12:51:00 AM
EDP's "Prepare Carefully" Mod gave me a reason to build the ship every time actually. (For those who aren't familiar with it, it lets you customize your colonists and starting equipment.)

What I did for a long time (something I recently learned others do too apparently) was after evacuating my colonists I would then load a new game of RW and update my saved EDP colonist roster to incorporate the changes that took place to them on the previous planet. (skills gained, cyberware added, injuries, new recruits, the supplies they launched in the ship with.)

Then I start a new game and "continue" with the group that launched in the ship. The goal is to see how many successful launches the group can make it through before their colony and new ship build fails. And when you choose a random starting location it can make for a challenging scenario every crash, and can give you a good reason to put some thought into what you pack your ship with. (Parkas?  wood? survival rations? crypto pods for the pets? How big do I have the resources to make this ship?)

With out EDP's mod, the ship seems to be just a way to "beat" the game before Randy can manage to kill your colony off.  :P

wooah.. this is a great idea.  :o this allows for the "continuity" of gameplay that i'm looking for.

ah.. except that iirc, EDB prep carefully only lets a max of 10 pawns. which means, i'm gonna leave people behind..

hmm.. this would make a good suggestion :

when you launch the ship to end the game, the game will automatically save the pawns and the items you brought along with you. this allows you to use these same people when starting a new colony.

that would be a great feature for vanilla.

Pickle

Quote from: keylocke on April 10, 2016, 03:23:42 AM
Quote from: Lady Wolf on April 10, 2016, 12:51:00 AM

wooah.. this is a great idea.  :o this allows for the "continuity" of gameplay that i'm looking for.

ah.. except that iirc, EDB prep carefully only lets a max of 10 pawns. which means, i'm gonna leave people behind..

hmm.. this would make a good suggestion :

when you launch the ship to end the game, the game will automatically save the pawns and the items you brought along with you. this allows you to use these same people when starting a new colony.

that would be a great feature for vanilla.

This is just an awesome idea ! It should be in vanilla, with 3 colonists or a bit more at the beginning, and the others who can come back as raiders, visitors, ect...

And I try to make a ship too, find the resources for it is a part of the challenge for me.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: keylocke on April 10, 2016, 03:23:42 AM

One of the neat things is once you launch the ship your colony will continue with those left behind, so you can technically launch 2 ships of 10 people that go in separate directions and play through their story lines separately. (Also more than 10 peeps when you crash are going to burn through your stockpiled food supplies in a real hurry since you have to research everything all over again so won't have that handy hydroponics bay to fast grow your food anymore initially.)

Alternatively you can always just stop recruiting more colonists once you reach 10, and just release/sell off/turn into warg food/harvest for organs any one you take prisoner. (or just execute them instead of capture them)