Can we at least ransom prisoners?

Started by Mathenaut, April 09, 2016, 04:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Wolf

On the off chance you have Wargs part of the colony set their restricted zone to the prisoner room, then stop feeding the prisoner, they'll go berserk and try to beat the Warg, which will happily kill and eat them.

Not only is your furred tank able to dispose of the prisoner without a mood penalty but they get fed for quite a long time, especially now when in A13 they can eat the corpse whole.  ;)

Mathenaut

> Go Hitler and burn them alive.
> Go Bane and freeze them in the arctic.
> Go Hannibal and let your pigs eat them.

Come on, Tynan. I just wanted to sell them.

Limdood

if they are in a room all alone, then uncheck "gets food" and set the prisoner to "no interaction" - you don't even need to forbid the door.

if they are in a room with others, uncheck "gets food" and make sure you keep talking to them...if you have a decently good warden, you're likely to easily offset the "starving" mood penalty.

Mathenaut

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 09, 2016, 05:10:26 PM
Now you get Hitler. Let's see a mood penalty for that.

QuoteYou can no longer avoid the 'executed prisoner' mood impact by just shooting or starving the prisoner; pawns will get a "prisoner died innocent" thought. A similar solution applies to the deaths of colonists.

I was joking, Tynan.  :(

Now they're just dogfood and the only reason I even have a 'prison' now is for colonists who mood crash. You don't have to give us as much as slavers would, but a viable alternative to dogfood would be nice.

Wex

How about releasing them into a minefield? Or in a maze full of traps? Or shooting them in the back while they are going away?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

DariusWolfe

You... know that you typically get a Faction buff by releasing prisoners, right? Do it often enough, and the relationship should go positive, turning them into an ally, or at least no longer an enemy.

Wex

Yes, I know that.
Do you know that if the faction relation is below -80 you can't salvage it? It would not rise if you release them.
You can release them blind though, so if they come back (and they do) they are not as good as raiders.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

DariusWolfe

I've raised faction that was below -80, and I'm reasonably sure this happened before I had Hospitality installed (though I can't be 100% of that).

Mathenaut

So if you raise faction with pirates, does that mean you get pirate traders instead of pirate raids?

DariusWolfe

Couldn't say. I never managed to get them to positive; The raids became less frequent at least, which of course made it harder to release prisoners. My longest running game in A13 got killed because of the bug where Trade was broken, and I ended the Colony before I found out the problem (Cryptosleep caskets, fixed in A14).