Preventing insect jelly abuse / gather items to trade

Started by Batpeter, April 09, 2016, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batpeter

As it stands, settlers do not have to gather the items that will be traded. They will magically transfer to the trader (the muffalos in this case).

In the A13 video Tynan shows how he sells the insect jelly that's inside his base. This insect jelly is in a dangerous place and settlers would not be able to get it without endangering themselves. You could use a double wall to wall off insect hives so the insects will never bother you. You'd still be able to sell all the insect jelly that spawns.

edit: apparently you can't sell jelly that is next to a hive. I suppose this could be confusing to players, but it works. You can sell items from a siege party as long as you have a trade beacon close.

Some solutions: make it so that settlers have to gather the items that you want to sell, or make it so that the trade beacon doesn't work through walls.

Alistaire

To me it doesn't make sense you have to place an Orbital Trade Beacon to trade with a trader on foot, so I like this idea.

Maybe the same for orbital trade with your colonists having to carry to the trade beacon.

A Friend

Actually, I don't think Trade Bacons are needed for caravan traders. You could just slap a stockpile zone on there and it can magically teleport into some Tribal's loincloth. I think, haven't properly tested it but from what I see, you don't have access to beacons in the early game and you can still trade.

But yes, I do approve of hauling items to trade.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

AllenWL

From what I can tell, pretty much anything inside the home zone is tradeable.

A Friend

Quote from: AllenWL on April 09, 2016, 11:56:07 PM

Can confirm, I just sold a siege party's entire food and ammunition supply to a trader.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: A Friend on April 10, 2016, 12:35:44 AM

Can confirm, I just sold a siege party's entire food and ammunition supply to a trader.
GG Plz nerf Tynan. Literally laughed when I read this.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

AllenWL

Quote from: A Friend on April 10, 2016, 12:35:44 AM

So.... if we trap a trader in a room, we can nullfiy all sieges by homezoneing the siege camp, and selling all their food and resources?

A Friend

skullywag

hmmm:

Fix: You can sell insect jelly (and items) that are right beside dangerous bug hives.

so it wasnt fixed?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Batpeter

Quote from: skullywag on April 10, 2016, 02:42:01 AM
hmmm:

Fix: You can sell insect jelly (and items) that are right beside dangerous bug hives.

so it wasnt fixed?

Haven't tested it myself, saw Tynan do it in the video, but he was using God mode.. Also it wouldn't really make sense if you can teleport any items to the trader but not jelly, not even when you killed all the insects except for the hive.
In any case i still suggest to haul items to trade and a previous poster was able to sell items in a siege party's supply. (i made a bug report for that)

Edit: I tested it and you're right you can't sell jelly that is next to a hive, but you can sell it when there are still insects crawling around but no hive next to the jelly. Tynan spawned jelly in other places so he was allowed to sell it.

Mathenaut

You can't really do that.

First off, bugs will eventually tunnel through any walls that you put up around them. Secondly, hives multiply, and they can spawn through walls when they do.
Thirdly, the jelly isn't THAT good.

Batpeter

Use a double wall and you can rebuild it before they break through the second layer. Hives only spawn in caves so you can make a hive farm as long as you keep your settlers on the outside. You only need to destroy a hive to be able to sell the jelly, you can ignore the insects as long as you can kill the hive quick enough. Granted, this is not without danger, so it might be balanced enough. I'm glad there's already a fix for selling jelly without hauling it or killing the hive.

Limdood

orbital beacons no longer work thru walls....if i place a beacon at the edge of a room, it won't travel thru the door into the next room.

Batpeter

Oh yea forgot about that, do insects or raiders attack beacons?