RimWorld has gotten 10 times better for me since Alpha 13

Started by stefanstr, April 11, 2016, 03:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

I am wondering what everybody else's experiences are but I have never had so much fun with RimWorld as in the current version.

The new tech tree with the new low-tech appliances (like the fueled generator and manual tailoring station) make the early game much more interesting (and the fueled generator keeps being useful as a backup power source in bunkers even later into the game).

The social mechanic makes me see the colonists more as characters and less as pawns in my game. That one time when a noble and a couple were my starting trio, the noble seduced the woman, and her ex-lover beat her to death for cheating... These kinds of stories hook me like nothing before. I literally can't wait to get back home and play again.

Great job Tynan and ison!

pktongrimworld

don't know yet, still waiting for all my mods to update :D

Rahjital

It definitely has. For me, Alpha 13 is THE Alpha - it finally feels more like a story simulator than a management game, at least most of the time. The colony finally feels like it has to develop from humble beginnings, colonists react to each other in meaningful ways, other factions can now be meaningfully interacted with through trade, but most importantly, the carnivorous animals make the world feel alive. I have no idea what Tynan plans next, but if he were to release it as full version right now, it would already be a very decent game.

I really can't wait to see what gets added next.

stefanstr

Quote from: Rahjital on April 11, 2016, 04:24:39 AM
The colony finally feels like it has to develop from humble beginnings, colonists react to each other in meaningful ways, other factions can now be meaningfully interacted with through trade, but most importantly, the carnivorous animals make the world feel alive.
+1 to all of this. That suspense at the beginning: do I risk hunting that bear or do I wait till he inevitably eats my dog and/or colonists?

I have no idea what Tynan plans next, but if he were to release it as full version right now, it would already be a very decent game.
Yep. He made the right call to not release on Steam before his break. This Alpha is such a huge step forward.

Coenmcj

It allows for alot of juicy drama to unfold, since It's just become knowledge to me that you can have affairs with other colonists. None of this was possible in A12, I can't wait to read the stories that'll inevitably pop up now due to the intricacies added this alpha. :D
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Andy_Dandy

Agree totally with OP. The new additions and mechanisms has greatly improved the longlevity of the game. It keeps me interested, challenged and entertained for several years of in game time now. I'm more in love with Rimworld then ever before (and I that thought I was abit burned out). Game is a masterpiece indeed.

Tynan

It's great to hear! I knew relationships would add interest but I honestly didn't predict they'd be so transformative for so many people.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Listen1

Well... i'm sorry to say that, but the Relationship for me is just a feature that add flavor, if only that was added to the game, it wouldn't have changed that much.

My opnion is how it was polished. The game was really better all around after A13. Energy management, Cooking, freezers, rooms and etc. The game feels better, caravans make a huge difference, bugs give you a chill, mountain is cooler, and many many other improvements.

So be sure, it's not only this feature, it was how you polished this game over this 6 months.

Congratz

stefanstr

Quote from: Tynan on April 11, 2016, 01:15:45 PM
It's great to hear! I knew relationships would add interest but I honestly didn't predict they'd be so transformative for so many people.
Relationships are half the equation. As others have mentioned, a lot of other changes make the world feel much more alive: caravans, predators, etc.

But yeah, I think relationships really were transformative for me in a way.

Dran

Does anyone know if like madness spiraling out of control is now possible because of relationships now being in the game? I know in Dwarf Fortress if one dwarf went mad and attack another and kill another ones family member the whole colony could spiral into madness because the loss of their family basically a giant riot in the colony. I was just curious if it could be possible now in Rimworld.

Negocromn

Same here, but the one thing that did it for me was the longer day, it feels so much better to play now, it's hard to describe but it feels just right.

Limdood

only real gripes about A13 are the terrible liability of pets now, as well as the scary likelihood for permanent damage or death from social fights (OR the lack of tools to stop such fights).

Everything else i feel is an improvement or at least an understandable change.

Shawnganz

I really enjoy the new update, although the component and trader changes make the game harder, I'm enjoying it. The social stuff is a nice layer, lot of room for expansion with it. It's weird though, like four of my 8 colonists got married, so they have +50 mood which was nice. Maybe it's too high, idk.

I'm sad that people are taking advantage of the game, like putting beer next to the muffalo trade caravans to have the muffalo drop all the loot. Or to raid the caravans and not have high repercussions from it. You could probably sell all the stuff the trader dropped for silver to build back relationships with a large surplus of goods/silver; taking advantage of a possible loophole. But, if they weren't, we wouldn't know about things that need to be fixed!

The one strange thing is that I'm 2 years into my colony and I have all the research completed, but can't build a single thing. I feel rushed and like as if I'm doing something wrong, even though I put my research table late into the game. It's probably my fault, not really a veteran. The one thing I really want to see in the game is longer research times and some type of tribal integration.

I want to play with the bows and pilas, wooden gladiuses, and tribal wear, instead of just burning or selling them off to traders. It wouldn't make sense with being a space colonist I guess with the availability to make solar panels from the start  ;D

Looking forward to playing more rimworld.

sadpickle

Quote from: Tynan on April 11, 2016, 01:15:45 PM
Relationships are amazing... I have two pawns, Jerbear and Lilymay 'Maymay' who got engaged in year one. Some time passed, I was battling an enormous fire at my gates... an escape pod lands in the middle of the blaze. Who's inside? Jerbear's ex-wife. He plunges into the inferno, grabbing her just as an ember is landing on her, saving her from certain death. He also recruits her a short time later. There is lingering bitterness, but overall they get along well.

Listen1

Quote from: Limdood on April 11, 2016, 05:10:33 PM
only real gripes about A13 are the terrible liability of pets now, as well as the scary likelihood for permanent damage or death from social fights (OR the lack of tools to stop such fights).

Everything else i feel is an improvement or at least an understandable change.

I agree about the fights, but I really like them. I didn't understood what you said about pet liability, I feel that with kibble, pets are really more balanced, and it looks like my labrators haul more them before.