what's wrong with hauling?

Started by zandadoum, April 11, 2016, 02:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zandadoum

- fridge set to CRITICAL. (also tested important)
- normal stockpile and dumping stockpile set to LOW
- growed farm zones are full with "ready to be hauled" vegetables.
- growed farm zone is in fact CLOSER to fridge than stockpile or dumping
- all of the above is insde the home zone and all colonists are unrestricted

then why the hell does every single colonist haul all sort of crap to the two stockpiles instead of hauling the veggies into the fridge?

vanilla game, no mods. a13

skullywag

you got vegies allowed in the stockpile filter?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Fruit loops

This isn't a long term solution, but if you need mass hauling done, or mass anything done, you can switch hauling to a number one priority task for a day or two. same with cleaning, if you have a mess of a colony (rubble, blood, etc.) just turn cleaning to a number one priority for a day.

another solution is to micro-manage everyone and just get it out of the way.

(plan)
1 cleaning day a season
1 hauling day a season
and I try to keep another day available for other nuisances.

those 2 days can make a world of change in your mood/productivity :)
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

silenced

What is required, especially with crops and stuff, is an option as with the workbenches "take to best stockpile" or "drop" and so on. Should be able to be set on farmplots too, so that anyone with hauling and currently priority high enough for hauling goes and hauls the crops to the "best stockpile".
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

zandadoum

Quote from: skullywag on April 11, 2016, 03:10:12 PM
you got vegies allowed in the stockpile filter?
yes, and in the end they are being hauled. after 908439058435 other things.

Quote from: Fruit loops on April 11, 2016, 03:17:52 PM
This isn't a long term solution, but if you need mass hauling done, or mass anything done, you can switch hauling to a number one priority task for a day or two. same with cleaning, if you have a mess of a colony (rubble, blood, etc.) just turn cleaning to a number one priority for a day.

another solution is to micro-manage everyone and just get it out of the way.

(plan)
1 cleaning day a season
1 hauling day a season
and I try to keep another day available for other nuisances.

those 2 days can make a world of change in your mood/productivity :)
i have tested with 2 colonists ONLY having hauling as skill, and set to one. like said above: in the end they are being hauled. after 908439058435 other things.

which imo is just wrong, specially as the fridge is set to higher priority than anything else.

Listen1

The haul order is kinda wanky, but usually everything is hauled given enough time.

If you want that specific area hauled ASAP (say your potatoe farm), you can make everyone number 1 hauler and them set an area so that they only haul that.

It's a way around, and it works. That's how I set my animals to haul stones on the map.

Sorenzo

Haulers pretty much haul whatever task is closest, not the highest-priority stockpiles, although that would make a lot of sense.

The absolutely fastest way is to manually order them to haul manually. Second way is to set up an area consisting of only the field and the fridge (and joy/food structures, if it'll take too long for them to do it without getting cranky).

Regret

Quote from: Sorenzo on April 11, 2016, 04:48:44 PM
Haulers pretty much haul whatever task is closest, not the highest-priority stockpiles, although that would make a lot of sense.

The absolutely fastest way is to manually order them to haul manually. Second way is to set up an area consisting of only the field and the fridge (and joy/food structures, if it'll take too long for them to do it without getting cranky).
That, though once they picked it up they do go for the highest priority stockpile untill that is full.
So if you send them to the farm once and the farm is the closest hauling task they have near the fridge then they should keep hauling from there until they get distracted. Whenever they are done (eating, sleeping, whatever) they will look for the closest thing to haul and bring that to the best stockpile. So build your hauler's home near the farm.

Negocromn

not trying to play captain hindsight buuut next time try to have nothing or almost nothing to haul when it's harvest time

short term solution would be to "clear all" the active stockpiles that are delaying your harvest haul until the harvest is hauled, it's a pain tho because you'll have to remember the exact settings etc when you want to activate them again

Limdood

Haulers target the closest object to be hauled.

They then haul the object to the highest priority stockpile that allows that object.

Stockpile priority determines WHICH stockpile an item will be hauled to (in which order) if it is allowed in multiple stockpiles (so you can have a low priority backup freezer, for example, for overflow from the main freezer)

The only way to get a pawn to haul an object further away is to manually do one of two things:
-right click the desired object to set a single pawn to manually haul (sucks with crops)
-manually forbid other, closer, objects waiting to be hauled.

The game will APPEAR to break this rule in one of two situations, but is not ACTUALLY breaking the rule, as described below:
- sometimes a pawn will skip over the 1-5 closest things to grab something slightly further.  This happens if the game determines that object was actually closer (pathing?) or if the other objects are reserved by a further away pawn to haul already.
- Sometimes a pawn will skip close crops and items to haul a rock or slag chunk.  This happens for a colonist attempting to execute the "crafting" job and going to fetch materials, rather than the "hauling" job (and crafting comes first in left to right priority)

Its not a solution or fix.  It might help you manage desired hauling better knowing exactly how it functions.  I do think you should be able to open a dropdown menu of some sort to prioritize hauling, either for the whole colony or per pawn.