Tortoises OP?

Started by Scaphismus, April 11, 2016, 06:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scaphismus

First, I want to say that I really like the new predator/hunting mechanics for animals. It adds a lot of atmosphere and interaction, and just makes the game feel more alive.

However, it seems that some of the "prey" animals are just a little too tough. I'm in a temperate forest with my current colony, and I've noticed a startling number of grizzly bear and warg corpses on the map. Upon further inspection, I find that they're dying from wounds suffered in fights with tortoises (occasionally boars, but mostly torts). Wouldn't it make more sense if "prey" animals ran away from hungry predators, rather than fight them? And if a tortoise does decide to go toe-to-toe with a pissed off grizzly, shouldn't the little guy get slaughtered before he can really do any damage?

On a related note, my baby carnivores have a REALLY rough time finding food. One of my warg pups lost a leg in a fight with a tortoise, and the second he was able to walk again, he went right back and got himself killed by the same damned tortoise. My cute little baby grizzly got both eyes scarred when he tried to eat a boomrat, then the next day he had both eyes gouged out by a boar. Has anyone else had trouble with this? And if so, have you found a good solution?

jaeden25

Most likely what has happened is the bear did kill the tortoise but sustained an injury in the fight and died by bleeding to death.

PotatoeTater

Tortoises are pretty strong in real life. They don't have that many predators.
Life is Strange

Mihsan

Your point is invalid because...

On jungle biome for years I saw not a single body of cougar though there was many eaten remains of turtles. Sometimes I can see cougar with 2-4 fresh wounds from turthe, but that is all.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

sadpickle

It's almost certainly infection from wounds that is killing the predators. I've tend to inspect injured predators out of curiosity, and oftentimes they will get an infection from the extensive wounds tortoises cause before being slaughtered. Collected quite a bit of free carrion that way.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Scaphismus on April 11, 2016, 06:24:12 PM
On a related note, my baby carnivores have a REALLY rough time finding food. One of my warg pups lost a leg in a fight with a tortoise, and the second he was able to walk again, he went right back and got himself killed by the same damned tortoise. My cute little baby grizzly got both eyes scarred when he tried to eat a boomrat, then the next day he had both eyes gouged out by a boar. Has anyone else had trouble with this? And if so, have you found a good solution?

Let them have food available that won't bite back? And don't forget animals don't mind eating humans. Let them eat what remains of your enemies. If that's not enough, hunt animals and/or make kibble or something.

I'd also recommend keeping baby animals inside with allowed areas, to keep them from being prey themselves and to solve your problem.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Mikhail Reign

Dspendragon

Yes they are very op. I watch a swarm of them tear mechanoid centipede apart
( I'm not going to explain why there was a swarm of tortoises or turtles, its rimworld stuff happens ok)
This is Rimworld people, Where cannibals ware pink helmets and nudest decide to go outside when its -59F, And where shit happens. Its anything but fare or balanced, Lady Luck rolls a 1000-sided dice and 80% of that dice says"Death"on it. Your job is keeping your people alive in bad rolls. Good Luck.

Chipotle

On my map I found a dead grizzly bear. I looked at is health and it said its head was bitten off by a tortoise.

Dspendragon

Quote from: Chipotle on April 13, 2016, 09:17:46 PM
On my map I found a dead grizzly bear. I looked at is health and it said its head was bitten off by a tortoise.

This is why I believe we should breed them and strap guns to them, an' make tanks out of the s.o.b.s.

Modders/magic-users, get to it.
This is Rimworld people, Where cannibals ware pink helmets and nudest decide to go outside when its -59F, And where shit happens. Its anything but fare or balanced, Lady Luck rolls a 1000-sided dice and 80% of that dice says"Death"on it. Your job is keeping your people alive in bad rolls. Good Luck.

cultist

Turtles seem to just do way too much damage - or it's the fact that it takes ages to kill them that ensures they will get several hits in - anyway, predators dying from turtle bites seems silly - either predators shouldn't attack them, or turtles should have tough armor but attack very slowly and do little damage. Or change their damage to blunt so the wounds don't get infected.

Rahjital

Quote from: Chipotle on April 13, 2016, 09:17:46 PM

Are you sure that it didn't get some tortoise bites when hunting, died from infection, and then another predator ate the head off the body? I have seen wargs eat the body of a grizzly I shot, even though grizzlies normally prey on wargs.

But yeah, even the supposedly harmless animals can be surprisingly lethal. I've had my cat lose a leg to a bunny.

keylocke

i think baby pets shouldn't hunt i guess. aren't they supposed to get milk from their moms or something?

rexx1888

considering that boom etc exist, is it so far fetched for turts to have been gene modded to be more unpleasant than you think..?