A13 - Poll for community opnion on Components

Started by Listen1, April 17, 2016, 06:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the components mechanics?

I like the Components, the availability of them, and the cost/time/research to produce it. The amount used in crafting is ok
28 (40.6%)
I like the Components, the availability of them, and the cost/time/research to produce it. But dislike the amount used in crafting its unbalancedd.
6 (8.7%)
I like the Components, the availability of them, but dislike the cost/time/research to produce it is too high. The amount used in crafting is ok.
19 (27.5%)
I like the Components, the availability of them, but dislike the cost/time/research to produce it is too high. The amount used in crafting is unbalanced.
7 (10.1%)
I dislike the Components right now, they are rarely available, the cost/time/research to produce it is too high. The amount used in crafting ok.
2 (2.9%)
I dislike the Componentsr right now,  they are rarely available, the cost/time/research to produce it is too high. The amount used in crafting unbalanced
5 (7.2%)
I dislike the Components at all.
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

sadpickle

My main beef with components is how often things break. I mine absolutely every component deposit I see early, simply so I have a large stock of components to cover breakdowns and construction. But if you like autodoors as much as I do, you get a breakdown every day or so and it's very expensive.

jaeden25

Quote from: sadpickle on April 17, 2016, 02:47:19 PM
My main beef with components is how often things break. I mine absolutely every component deposit I see early, simply so I have a large stock of components to cover breakdowns and construction. But if you like autodoors as much as I do, you get a breakdown every day or so and it's very expensive.

But you agree that you create the problem and it's not a balance issue?

sadpickle

Quote from: jaeden25 on April 17, 2016, 02:54:16 PM
Quote from: sadpickle on April 17, 2016, 02:47:19 PM

But you agree that you create the problem and it's not a balance issue?
I may "create" the problem by building a lot of auto-doors early on... but this is scratching the surface. Even if you're going turret-less, you need ever-more solar panels, turbines, production buildings, lamps, etc. and the component cost can be enormous. I'd like to see breakdown events be less common, not go away altogether.

Listen1

I have redifined the votes, trying to make it better and allow more choices.

It's hard to make a poll out of something like this, you either make it too vague or too specific and lose details. English is not my main language as well...

Sorry, the votes have been returned to 0

Mathenaut

Thing is, components are just another obstacle to progress. I understand the idea of bottlenecks to slow progression at certain points and essentially define a clear set of 'tiers' to base future progress around. That in and of itself isn't bad.

The initial implementation of something like this isn't expected to be spot on, I doubt anyone is claiming that it should be. However, RNG heavy dependence is never a good thing. Anecdotes about how some people didn't have it so bad changes nothing about it, those aren't even arguments.

As it stands, it is possible to roll a dead colony. A colony with few resources on the map that will go for years before acquiring any gold and barely any contact with traders. This means that anything requiring components (weapon crafting, hydroponics, comms relay, literally all sources of power) becomes extremely limited - and you'll have no chance against the threats you face almost 3 years in.

The current implementation of components and gold have removed player agency, because these resources are completely RNG dependent. Completely. There is literally nothing that a player can do to overcome the lack of gold and components if they don't spawn on the map and they don't luck out with traders. That needs to change.

Shurp

Technically, my complaint isn't with components so much as with trading being seriously nerfed.  Imagine if we got trade ships the way we did in a12.  It'd be a short wait until a trader with gold or plasteel showed up.  Sell beer/hops, buy critical resources, off you go.  *AND* a trade ship carrying components would show up with 100 instead of 3.  Yeah, maybe they should cost 50 silver apiece, but you would happily surrender 2000 silver to get 40. 

Nerfed trading -> desperate need for self sufficiency -> manic rage when self sufficiency is impeded by unavailability of components -> drinking lots and lots of beer.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

blerkz

I made my first Rimworld mod today and it was one to reduce the amount of steel needed to make them (see sig) I think that says enough.

I feel for the time and materials investment needed, the component fabrication is far too expensive. Such a major investment should lift barriers, on steel-sparse maps it does not do this at all.

The breakdowns are quite frequent and essentially a recurring steel tax. My first game in A13 was an extreme desert plains map, steel is in short supply as it is. Perhaps building costs should be reduced to compensate.

The components also add a lot of extra mining and hauling at the start, which slows things down some. In the early game, you have to be more careful with money and buy as many as you can. That's a design choice I can live with.

keylocke

i played gnomoria and DF first before i played rimworld. so the notion of components actually feel "casual" for me.

in gnomoria. pawns actually need to craft the necessary parts needed for a structure before they can build it.

ie : you want a bed? you need to craft the frame first, then you also need to craft the mattress. BEFORE you can assemble the bed and then install it to the location you want. all of this requiring people with specialized skill sets and specialized workbenches.

one of the many reason why dwarf fortress and gnomoria are entertaining for their complexity.

the whole production pipeline can be a very entertaining metagame that could completely engross the players, especially people who likes similar games like factorio. coz logistics can be fun.

however, this could also be quite a drawback for casual gamers.. just by looking at the few people complaining about the addition of components and gold requirements.

hmm.. i think the addition of components is an ok compromise. it adds a bit more complexity which translates to "more gameplay stuff to do and to master" and the learning curve is not too steep for casuals.

-----

personally i'd prefer a game with DF/gnomoria level of complexity (z-levels, water, production pipeline, etc) + pixel art like dungeon of the endless + rimworld RTS battle mechanics + don't starve surrealism.

but i digress..

(i'm just faffing around in the forum waiting for EDB's a13 release for prep carefully.. haha)

Agent00Soul

1 option for
6 against..

Poll leans to being a problem. And still the vote is for.

Seems to me a vocal minority don't like them. Maybe people who spam turrets?

Breakdown maybe be tweaked.. overwise.. great addition.

Shurp

Quote from: keylocke on April 17, 2016, 06:10:06 PM
i played gnomoria and DF first before i played rimworld. so the notion of components actually feel "casual" for me.

I also played gnomoria previously and enjoyed it quite a bit.  There's a critical difference here; in gnomoria, you can make whatever you need.  Need gold?  Go dig down until you find it.  Need wooden sticks?  Go chop down some trees.  The only actual difficult bit is getting your first bone needle, and that just involves deciding when to kill your first yak.

It's the exhaustion of resources that has people irked more than the difficulty of managing a more complex resource train.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

ReZpawner

I quite enjoy the components, but since they are so important in construction, it would be good if there was a primitive crafting table for them as well, so you're not entirely boned if you don't have enough to last you until the appropriate tech level (which seems to be a problem for a lot of new players).

w00d

I am fine with whatever atm as i can mod it or change it if i feel a chance is necessary ( for example i changed to frequency of rain so i can burn corpses more easily )

tonsrd

(i'm just faffing around in the forum waiting for EDB's a13 release for prep carefully.. haha)
prep carefully is out,

<-- im using prep carefully to give myself 40 gold 50 uranium to avoid the rng, and some more components so I can focus on the raids / break downs/ infections / design base/ mood... etc.... coz im bad at surviveing.

theres is too much that can go wrong on RNG rather than on player mistakes / choices.

Astasia

My only issue with components is the time required to craft each one and that it appears to reset if interrupted. It takes such a long time that it starts screwing with schedules and I get people passing out from exhaustion while attempting to make one right before they are supposed to go to sleep.

I'm fine with everything else about them.

b0rsuk

I'm in mid game, and component costs of some items don't appear well balanced.

1 component for IED trap ? You rarely get a good result from just one IED, unless you use one trap + several scattered shells, which is exploit-ish.

4 components for an incendiary launcher, heavy SMG, LMG, but 3 for Assault Rifle ? The number of components needed to craft a weapon is often not proportional to the  desirability of the weapon.