Allow Pawns to Consume corpses of animals/humans like predators do.

Started by Coenmcj, April 18, 2016, 08:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coenmcj

This came up on the Discord earlier and thought I'd stick it here.
Basically, Predators and your pets can consume corpses, any corpses whether they are human or critter.
While Cannibals cannot eat raw human corpses, despite liking raw human meat. +20 Mood!
And what about other pawns eating raw critters? Sure it is immeasurably bad for you, but when you're desperate, food is food.

Thoughts?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Aarkreinsil

If it has an extremely high chance of causing food poisoning, it should be alright.
But you'll be missing out on all the leather ._.

AllenWL

I dunno, is it even possible for a human being to actually grab a dead cow carcass and dig in? Maybe rabbits, people, and other things with thin hide, but things like rhinos, bears, and so on... I don't think you can really take a bite out of that. Not easily anyways. And some things like tortoises would be nearly impossible I think.

Well, if it gives a really bad mood debuff, and takes a long time to eat, why not?

Coenmcj

Noone really wants to eat chunks off of a corpse, the mood debuff's more than fair really, that and/or giving it a serious chance to cause food poisoning.
Fully agree on those points

Mihsan

Quote from: Coenmcj on April 18, 2016, 08:13:15 AM
This came up on the Discord earlier and thought I'd stick it here.
Basically, Predators and your pets can consume corpses, any corpses whether they are human or critter.
While Cannibals cannot eat raw human corpses, despite liking raw human meat. +20 Mood!
And what about other pawns eating raw critters? Sure it is immeasurably bad for you, but when you're desperate, food is food.

Thoughts?
100% not worth it to realize for colonists. If you cant even butcher your meat, then you game is ended.

But for tribal raid it can be pretty interesting feature.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Tatte

~Tatte~

Mufflamingo

Maybe there should be a scavenging corpse action so they will manually take chunks of meat from the dead animal without using the butcher's table, equipping knives, shivs, swords or bladed weapons may increase the speed. Of course the amount of meat harvested would be reduced because the scavenger did not efficiently cut the meat because lack of equipment maybe? (Equipment from the bucther table?) And the amount of leather would be reduced also, and it will leave a carcass instead, instead of a dead body.
Bleeeee. . . . .

cultist

I don't see the purpose. What's so hard about building a butcher table?

It's a cool concept on paper, but I can't see why you would ever willingly use it.

AllenWL

Quote from: cultist on April 22, 2016, 08:40:54 AM

It's a cool concept on paper, but I can't see why you would ever willingly use it.
Reasons to use:
1: You don't want to bother feeding prisoners, so you let them eat whoever dies during the many fights that break out.

2: After a major fight, all food stores burned down, and all cooks died(it happened to me once... was not fun)

3: You just feel like it

Coenmcj

Quote from: AllenWL on April 22, 2016, 08:59:44 AM
Quote from: cultist on April 22, 2016, 08:40:54 AM

Reasons to use:
1: You don't want to bother feeding prisoners, so you let them eat whoever dies during the many fights that break out.

2: After a major fight, all food stores burned down, and all cooks died(it happened to me once... was not fun)

3: You just feel like it
Alot of it would be due to lack of food preparation facilities, due to a prolonged siege or raid or something similiar.

BetaSpectre

+1

I think eating raw food from the corpse or not should cause food poisoning more often. Eating it from a rotting corpse should cause a heavy disease IMO. Or at least have a higher chance of causing it esp if it used to be a human.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

firescythe

AllenWL

Quote from: firescythe on April 27, 2016, 05:47:24 AM
Just as sidemark, there actually is modern time food based on raw meat, e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio
There are quite a few modern time foods that have raw meat, and I've eaten a few myself, but all of them used very specific parts of the meat, used very fresh meat, and most had some sort of seasoning.

Eating indiscriminately straight from a corpse cannot be good for you, especially if the corpse has been lying out in the open for a day.

firescythe

Quote from: AllenWL on April 27, 2016, 06:24:25 AM
Quote from: firescythe on April 27, 2016, 05:47:24 AM
Just as sidemark, there actually is modern time food based on raw meat, e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio
Eating indiscriminately straight from a corpse cannot be good for you, especially if the corpse has been lying out in the open for a day.

No doubts on that :) just wanted to enlarge the knowledge base to be not bipolar.