Are updates going to be monthly?

Started by a89a89, February 05, 2014, 04:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a89a89

It took 2 month (I think) to release alpha 1. Is it going to stay like that or are they going to be monthly now?

Galileus

I believe it was Semmy, who hinted Alpha2 will come faster than Alpha1. Or it was Tynan.

Anyhow, Tynan also stated many-a-times that he doesn't really do timetables. Most likely guess is that alphas will take as much as they need to take - all depending to complexity of the module/systems that are being worked on atm.

Tynan

I think something close to monthly is an optimal schedule. But this doesn't mean I'm promising a release on the same day every month. I'll try to do it but I don't want people to jump down my throat if one version happens to take a bit longer or I get sick or something.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Nocebo

Quote from: Tynan on February 05, 2014, 04:45:42 PM
people to jump down my throat if one version happens to take a bit longer or I get sick or something.

If things like this actually still happen in our modern time, for what it's worth, you have my permission to take a months vacation. Just to annoy those kinds of people even more...
Supporter of The Mad Boommuffalo Project!

Galileus

Well, even with no monthly update promises there was a bunch of people demanding updates and howling at the sky, soooo...

daft73

Indeed the world can be a treacherous place, so people looking for some 'escapism' in there games get unruly and want it NOW!!! ..or some other gibberish.

They often forget that life happens, and takes priority over making a game, especially for a small crew of devs...not supplied with pools of people ready to fill in any impeded employees with life issues.

It's a sign of the times...when your watching tv, and some Staples commercial boasts about "BETA testing" their tv's and stuff...right ??? :o ::)

The community needs to become more educated when it comes to the way things like game development takes time. The phrase beta testing is used to often now as a ploy like other selling tricks. Best advice pick up more hobbies/ or games to fill in the need  >:( rage.

Bobthefarmer1

I think what would be better is to describe an outline, something like "Oh this might take 2 weeks if things go well, or 3 if they go bad, and then you got an additional week of making it playable" etc etc, it doesn't bother alot of people (like myself) about how long it takes, but going 2-3 months between updates gets people angry for some reason. It's probably more a reference of time that matters.

Semmy

Quote from: Bobthefarmer1 on February 07, 2014, 10:12:35 PM
I think what would be better is to describe an outline, something like "Oh this might take 2 weeks if things go well, or 3 if they go bad, and then you got an additional week of making it playable" etc etc, it doesn't bother alot of people (like myself) about how long it takes, but going 2-3 months between updates gets people angry for some reason. It's probably more a reference of time that matters.

This is terribly terribly bad to do for a dev. You can't make promises. Weird bugs and things can always pop up.
If something goes wrong half the community will burn you down the other half will run away.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Bobthefarmer1

Quote from: Semmy on February 08, 2014, 07:45:58 AM
Quote from: Bobthefarmer1 on February 07, 2014, 10:12:35 PM

This is terribly terribly bad to do for a dev. You can't make promises. Weird bugs and things can always pop up.
If something goes wrong half the community will burn you down the other half will run away.
Oh trust me, I know, I'm just trying to justify people asking.