Show me your hospital designs!

Started by Silvador, April 20, 2016, 02:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

Please?

Most structures I keep the same, from one colony to the next. General size and layout, from dining hall to housing, rarely changes much. But I can never quite find a hospital design that I'm satisfied with. So I'd like to see other people's layouts for their preferred hospital design in the hopes that they might give me some ideas for my own.

Mathenaut

I just have 3 beds in front of a tv, with a cryosleep in the corner.

christhekiller

I'll usually build a hospital wing with separate rooms for each bed and one room for medicine storage

Coenmcj

https://gyazo.com/a07639bef14e6965e63f2b3fdfd28e56
My medical facility in Farmer's Fortress.
Plan on eventually getting TV's and statues in there... but the medicine and steel was expensive enough (So little orb. Traders. :c )
Frankly, I don't need anywhere near this amount of beds, But I like keeping enough beds for atleast half my colony in the event of a plague or serious battle.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Nictis

I usually end up converting my cell like hospitals into a prison, their normal rooms seem to work better for me.

House call instead of visiting the doctor is my way.

Silvador

Quote from: Coenmcj on April 20, 2016, 05:03:35 AM
https://gyazo.com/a07639bef14e6965e63f2b3fdfd28e56
My medical facility in Farmer's Fortress.
Plan on eventually getting TV's and statues in there... but the medicine and steel was expensive enough (So little orb. Traders. :c )
Frankly, I don't need anywhere near this amount of beds, But I like keeping enough beds for atleast half my colony in the event of a plague or serious battle.

What are those at the end of the bed? Are those the life monitors? I've not had a chance to make any yet.

cultist

I usually don't build hospitals smaller than 9x9 because they can get crowded easily. I build right next to the dining room so doctors have easy access to food and medicine for the patients. I fill the place with art, but usually not the best pieces - the hospital is one of the least used buildings in general, so most of the time you're not taking advantage of the mood bonus from the art - do pretty the place up though, you need all the boost you can get for long-term illness. Sterile tile floor is obvious, but generally not until very late in the game. Since the hospital sees practically no use most of the time, it also doesn't get dirty as fast as other rooms.
Oh, and make sure there's only one entrance. That prevents people from crossing through the room, dirtying it up and disturbing the patients sleeping.

Coenmcj

Yep, Those are the life support thingies, give 10% success chance on top of the medical bed for surgeries and wound treatments. :) Worth the 175 Steel when you've got low levelled doctors IMO

Edit :
Usually, I'd have to agree with Cultist, but it's very dependant on your playstyle.
for instance, I'm playing a 0 to 2 turret playthrough, so my colonists are always in the line of fire. Up to half of my colony of 16 can get injured during a raid, in which you need as many medics as possible healing wounds before anything more permanent (Scars) , or more annoying (infections) crops up. Having a larger Hospital with as many boosts as possible is incredibly helpful.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mathenaut

Here's what I mentioned before. Simple arctic setup. This one doesn't have the stasis yet, but I always keep at least one when I can get it.

Listy

Yet to finish fitting it out, but each room will include Art, TV, heater, vitals monitor and a lamp.
If need be the single square of concrete in the hall way can be converted to a Vents chimney for added cooling.

Negocromn

mine is just a simple 11x11 room next to the kitchen and the prison, right by the entrance, doors are usually forbidden so people don't walk by it to move around my base, I'll probably add a couple more beds now that I have more colonists

this was right after 2 tribal raids in a day and a half, big mess haha

Limdood

FYI, 1 medical monitor covers as many beds as you can place adjacent.

So 1 bed cannot have multiple monitors, but 1 monitor can have multiple beds.  Good for steel and power savings.

I set up my hospital with 2 rows of 4 beds each, with each row having the following setup:
Bed/monitor/Bed/stockpile/Bed/Monitor/Bed
The stockpile is 2 separate stockpiles, each 1 tile large, assigned to only hold herbal meds/normal meds (1 stockpile each).

When i can afford it, i put in a megascreen TV which covers all 8 beds.  I then make the hospital about twice the minimum size needed to cover the beds/TV, and use the other space for a body parts stockpile and art.

Shabazza

This is my usual dsign, with the medicine directly next to the hospital in a cooled state (for herbals) and the organ storage nearby.
Ignore the weapons stash. I needed the room before I had the first spare organs/limbs to store.  ;D

Question: Does ill peoples mood actually benefit from a tv in the room? Can they use it in their beds?

cultist

Quote from: Coenmcj on April 20, 2016, 08:29:49 AM
Yep, Those are the life support thingies, give 10% success chance on top of the medical bed for surgeries and wound treatments. :) Worth the 175 Steel when you've got low levelled doctors IMO

Edit :
Usually, I'd have to agree with Cultist, but it's very dependant on your playstyle.
for instance, I'm playing a 0 to 2 turret playthrough, so my colonists are always in the line of fire. Up to half of my colony of 16 can get injured during a raid, in which you need as many medics as possible healing wounds before anything more permanent (Scars) , or more annoying (infections) crops up. Having a larger Hospital with as many boosts as possible is incredibly helpful.

What I would do is probably set up a field hospital close to the killbox or whatever. Make that really impressive so hungry/tired/wounded people get the best mood boosts and quick treatment. Further into the base I would place a smaller hospital for treating diseases and long-term problems so these patients don't get disturbed by the wounded. You'd probably have to micro a bit with areas to get people to the right hospital though.

Nictis

Quote from: Shabazza on April 20, 2016, 12:18:37 PM
This is my usual dsign, with the medicine directly next to the hospital in a cooled state (for herbals) and the organ storage nearby.
Ignore the weapons stash. I needed the room before I had the first spare organs/limbs to store.  ;D

Question: Does ill peoples mood actually benefit from a tv in the room? Can they use it in their beds?
That'll show 'em, stupid prisoners thinking they can just open the armory door...

I actually had to think about why the turret wasn't in the hallway instead, realized how ugly they are for colonists.