[A13]Arbitration: Realistic Research - Overhaul, modpack, vehicles 06/13 v0.07

Started by jackarbiter, April 20, 2016, 09:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herrcaptain

QuoteLol, well I don't know if it's a feature but that's something that would probably happen on vanilla with the robots mod; it'd probably take an intrusive override to avoid, and probably isn't worth it.

I totally agree that it's not worth it. I love that it happened. I like to imagine that the cleaning bot was having an existential crisis and took it out on its master.

Grogfeld

Quote from: herrcaptain on June 03, 2016, 09:44:52 PM
While there's talk of bots doing funny things (like driving vehicles) last night (still on 0.05) I witnessed my cleaning bot insult a colonist. It was the town jerk who was always picking fights, but thankfully this didn't manage to set her off.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I personally loved it.

Yes, It's something with vanilla, that causes this behavior. But I think it could be avoided with setting talking stat on 0 like when you use"silent jaw" from EPOE on abrasive pawn (if bots have such a stat). Once, I had a fight ,bot vs my Hunter, RIP Cleaning Bot 13, and then my artista painted a nice piece of art with this situation. There was a report of a flirting bot so this coin have two sides ;). I think that it's an great addition that makes them like Star Wars bots.

Quote from: jackarbiter on June 03, 2016, 11:28:42 PM
Good to know, and thanks for all your work testing and reporting. :)

Glad I could help.

Now, I'm getting back to my fortress. :)

EDIT: About hauling with vehicles, you can ride ATV even without fuel, and i noticed that, from time to time, pawns take only one type of items even if there are many things to haul. But then it could be related to other mod that I'm using where it add another job and designation for hauling (HaulPriority) so that could mess with it.

EDIT2: Weird bug from CR. Sieges are broken, 12 mortars just dropped with enemy but only small textures are present, nothing to select. I remember one report, with ammo that behave same way, on CR topic.

Prismaa

Quote from: Grogfeld on June 04, 2016, 04:39:17 AM
Quote from: herrcaptain on June 03, 2016, 09:44:52 PM
While there's talk of bots doing funny things (like driving vehicles) last night (still on 0.05) I witnessed my cleaning bot insult a colonist. It was the town jerk who was always picking fights, but thankfully this didn't manage to set her off.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I personally loved it.

Yes, It's something with vanilla, that causes this behavior. But I think it could be avoided with setting talking stat on 0 like when you use"silent jaw" from EPOE on abrasive pawn (if bots have such a stat). Once, I had a fight ,bot vs my Hunter, RIP Cleaning Bot 13, and then my artista painted a nice piece of art with this situation. There was a report of a flirting bot so this coin have two sides ;). I think that it's an great addition that makes them like Star Wars bots.

Quote from: jackarbiter on June 03, 2016, 11:28:42 PM
Good to know, and thanks for all your work testing and reporting. :)

Glad I could help.

Now, I'm getting back to my fortress. :)

EDIT: About hauling with vehicles, you can ride ATV even without fuel, and i noticed that, from time to time, pawns take only one type of items even if there are many things to haul. But then it could be related to other mod that I'm using where it add another job and designation for hauling (HaulPriority) so that could mess with it.

EDIT2: Weird bug from CR. Sieges are broken, 12 mortars just dropped with enemy but only small textures are present, nothing to select. I remember one report, with ammo that behave same way, on CR topic.

I noticed that Siege but too, think its related to CR, not sure, I had it on other modpacks too, like.. there is random weapon "icons/sprite" on ground and if you hover cursor over them it says "mortar" on them but you can't click or anything on them.

Grogfeld

Yes, that's what I was talking about. 12 mortar sprites and only 10 pawns :D Strange and somehow annoying not to see full of potential.

AllenWL

Just tried out the mod. It's rather research-heavy isn't it? Not that that's a bad thing, but I feel like a bit more extremely-early things could be research-free.
Also, there are some 'quirks' so to speak with research, like being able to research hops and cotton before being able to brew or make cloth, or unlocking windows, which need stone bricks before you even have stonecutting.

Also, fences seems to support a roof when near solid walls, and the fence gate looks funny when sideways.

Otherwise, pretty enjoyable.

florencka

Quote from: AllenWL on June 04, 2016, 09:49:22 AM
Just tried out the mod. It's rather research-heavy isn't it? Not that that's a bad thing, but I feel like a bit more extremely-early things could be research-free.
Also, there are some 'quirks' so to speak with research, like being able to research hops and cotton before being able to brew or make cloth, or unlocking windows, which need stone bricks before you even have stonecutting.

I think it's absolutely valid, since you might need to use the short growing period and store hops and cotton to process it later when you cannot grow it. As for the stone bricks you can salvage them from the structures on the map pretty easily before you can make them yourself.

Grogfeld

Quote from: florencka on June 04, 2016, 12:06:04 PM

I think it's absolutely valid, since you might need to use the short growing period and store hops and cotton to process it later when you cannot grow it. As for the stone bricks you can salvage them from the structures on the map pretty easily before you can make them yourself.

Also you don't have to use cotton or hops, you can plant and sell later to trader. I like this idea.

jackarbiter

Also, fences seems to support a roof when near solid walls, and the fence gate looks funny when sideways.

Otherwise, pretty enjoyable.

The beginning researches are pretty fast; I don't think of it as "how do chairs work?" but instead "what is the best way to conduct woodworking to build a chair?" i.e. how do I bore holes in wood without splitting it, what is the best way to create joints, etc.

I don't know if I like how I did the plant researches really, but any way I did them, they would be separate from their own processing.

I know about the fences, those are how the game works with the fences and roofs unfortunately, and I think the fence mods all have the wierd look for gates sometimes. I was able to create a large porch area myself using fences and supports, and vehicles tend to get parked under roofs so I think there is a bit of a trade-off, but it is a little wierd that it is considered "inside."

I didn't want to add sand or glassmaking and requiring only metal for windows wierded me out so I went with blocks for windows as a compromise; you can get blocks pretty easily as florencka says. But yeah I didn't think about the way the research would look when I added blocks to the window ingredients the other day. Honestly at some point I may go with a sand/glass/silica route for glass for windows, lights, and then computers... taking opinions on whether to do this. I know some people wouldn't mind but I'm trying to avoid too many new resources. Maybe sand would be ground from stone chunks and not a new map resource, and used in the components recipe since component making may be a little too easy in this mod.

Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

Grogfeld

Quote from: jackarbiter on June 04, 2016, 01:30:34 PM

I know about the fences, those are how the game works with the fences and roofs unfortunately, and I think the fence mods all have the wierd look for gates sometimes. I was able to create a large porch area myself using fences and supports, and vehicles tend to get parked under roofs so I think there is a bit of a trade-off, but it is a little wierd that it is considered "inside."

Have you tried with making it as something similar to parapets but with very high walking penalty? That way critters wouldn't try to go inside area because of speed, and it wouldn't be considered as indoor area.

Quote from: jackarbiter on June 04, 2016, 01:30:34 PM
I didn't want to add sand or glassmaking and requiring only metal for windows wierded me out so I went with blocks for windows as a compromise; you can get blocks pretty easily as florencka says. But yeah I didn't think about the way the research would look when I added blocks to the window ingredients the other day. Honestly at some point I may go with a sand/glass/silica route for glass for windows, lights, and then computers... taking opinions on whether to do this. I know some people wouldn't mind but I'm trying to avoid too many new resources. Maybe sand would be ground from stone chunks and not a new map resource, and used in the components recipe since component making may be a little too easy in this mod.

It depend in which direction do you want to go. If you want a big chain of production where everything need something to be processed, and that product need to be processed as well on a different workbench then it's OK to add sand and glass to mod. It would be similar to Hardcore SK style. If you want to be simple without many steps in production then adding sand/glass could collide with that style. Both options don't exclude any number of addons to game it just a matter of wide vs deep chain of production. Your call, I can play both styles.

jackarbiter

Quote from: Grogfeld on June 04, 2016, 01:54:01 PM
Have you tried with making it as something similar to parapets but with very high walking penalty? That way critters wouldn't try to go inside area because of speed, and it wouldn't be considered as indoor area.

Actually that reminds me, I meant to adjust the earth rampart and others, and this is a good idea to look into.
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

Voker57

Bug: installing a prosthetic arm on pawn with arm torn off results in extra human arm in storage.

Prismaa

Welp, this is gonna take for while xD My max cooking atm is 2.. and making paper needs 5.

Grogfeld

Quote from: Prismaa on June 05, 2016, 06:48:49 AM
Welp, this is gonna take for while xD My max cooking atm is 2.. and making paper needs 5.

You don't need to eat paper to get your Pawns vomiting all over the place, with this cooking skill ;)

Voker57

Hauling w/vehicles does not check if target stockpile can accomodate all the goods: they get spilled around, and this has at least 2 problems:

1. If it's a nutrient synth hopper in prisoner room, overflowing stuff doesn't get hauled back and rapidly accumulates.

2. If there's neighboring stockpile that accepts the same goods, hauling loop is created.