The Trade Caravans keep dying. Bad but good.

Started by Samden, April 21, 2016, 02:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samden

So I decided to challenge myself by trying to survive at the coldest part of the seed world (a pretty chilly -75.9 Celsius). Anyway after befriending the lovely Caro Trado Tol they decided they wanted to trade with my colony, aptly named Winter's Peak. Thrilled at the prospect I went to see the eager traders head towards my colony.

What follows can only be described as a death march; in horror I saw these lovely people slowly freeze to death trying desperately to reach my colony in the bane hopes of trade and warmth. As their leader fell from exposure to the biting cold the rest paniced and decided to head back home. One by one they dropped. Even mighty muffalo proved to be no match to mother nature's icey maw. As the beasts fell the goods meant to foster friendship between our peoples dropped as well. Hopefully these goods will serve my colony well. They will certainly be a dark reminder that that no one is safe at Winter's peak.

I believe this tale tells us that trade caravans need to be seasonal when the player decides to play in extreme biomes.

Feel sorry for the Carro Trado Tol.

Tynan

Yeah, it's sort of a bug. We're going to look at adjusting this.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

b0rsuk

"Seasonal" would make seasons much more interesting and meaningful.

Andy_Dandy

ReZpawner

It's pretty enjoyable when they drop things like bionic limbs, or gold statues\weapons :) I hope they won't look TOO hard at adjusting it, because I think they are the only reason my colony is thriving at the moment :P

pktongrimworld

makapse

i am hoping they will totally remove them as the temp is never over -40C on my -70C avg map(unless a summer heatwave occurs, and i haven't seen any heatwave ever in 100 total years on a ice sheet) so its always going to be too cold for the traders to survive

ChimpX

Quote from: makapse on April 22, 2016, 05:32:16 PM
i am hoping they will totally remove them as the temp is never over -40C on my -70C avg map(unless a summer heatwave occurs, and i haven't seen any heatwave ever in 100 total years on a ice sheet) so its always going to be too cold for the traders to survive

Seems easy enough to correct; doesn't it? Equip all the caravan members with parkas and toques.

But I like the seasonal angle too. Not only does it make more sense but adds to the immersion as your colony digs in and tries desperately to hang on until spring, praying for the first sign of those noble Muffalos braving the high arctic, bearing their precious, life-saving load of ....

... WHAT THE HELL !? YOU GUYS CAME ALL THIS WAY AND ALL YOU'VE GOT TO TRADE IS A SIX-PACK OF BEER AND A SHODDY SANDSTONE PILA ?

makapse

muffaloes have a temp tolerance of -45C so parkas alone wont stop the caravan from being looted

ChimpX

Quote from: makapse on April 23, 2016, 05:55:42 AM
muffaloes have a temp tolerance of -45C so parkas alone wont stop the caravan from being looted

Muffalo parkas then. With little earmuffs and hoof booties.

<3 muffalos

ReZpawner

Quote from: makapse on April 23, 2016, 05:55:42 AM

Even better! The traders basically just come by to drop off their stuff, and then leave - that's as close to perfect as it gets!