PSA: Mechanics on new Diseases

Started by Mathenaut, April 21, 2016, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathenaut

When tended count is reached, disease is gone.

Medicines will affect the treatment quality, which will determine how severe the effects are until next treatment (except pain, because for some reason we're just not allowed to mitigate pain).

In this case, it took a while to get through, but the gut worms passed at 8/8.

Devon_v

Good to know there's a point to treatment.

Painstopper does exist, but it might be nice to get some aspirin.

cultist

So this applies to all the new disesases? Gut worms, muscle parasites, the mechanite ones?

I think the reason we're not allowed to mitigate pain is because pain (or losing a leg) is the only thing that can incap a colonist. Sick people are supposed to go down faster in a fight I assume.

Anyway, there's painstopper if you can't handle the pain. 8)

Quote from: Devon_v on April 21, 2016, 10:38:29 PM
Good to know there's a point to treatment.

There was always a point to treatment. I'm still unsure of what medicine to use and when though. In my experience, medicine speeds up imuunity gain at best, does absolutely nothing at worst. It doesn't seem consistent from disease to disease. I get the feeling that this is a trap to make you waste your starting medkits, which I just find annoying. Making things obscure and illogical is a poor way of increasing difficulty.

erdrik

Quote from: cultist on April 22, 2016, 08:14:49 AM
... I'm still unsure of what medicine to use and when though. In my experience, medicine speeds up imuunity gain at best, does absolutely nothing at worst. ...

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 21, 2016, 08:01:34 PM
Medicines will affect the treatment quality, which will determine how severe the effects are until next treatment ...

Mathenaut

Painstoppers are a nice, but ineffective solution if you aren't at late-game and have already figured out a way around the pain issues anyways. That's a quality of life implement for people who have money to spare.

Does nothing for when pain mitigation is actually needed the most.

CheeseGromit

Thanks, this is useful to know.

Quote from: cultist on April 22, 2016, 08:14:49 AM
So this applies to all the new disesases? Gut worms, muscle parasites, the mechanite ones?
As far as I can tell only gut worms and muscle parasites. The mechanites have duration, a number of ticks before it goes away.

I got feed up with the these diseases last night so looked into modding them.

b0rsuk

I don't believe it. My two people who have muscle parasites have just been treated with treatment quality 200% (clean bed outside hospital) and 216% (sterile 0.6 hospital bed with vitals monitor). Kevin the doctor has 13 Medicine. The patients still have Movement/Manipulation displayed as 70% after treatment. Glitterworld medicine was used. They still move visibly slower than healthy colonists, and no leg injuries / fast walker / slowpoke / jogger are involved.

Mathenaut

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 23, 2016, 01:53:31 AM
I don't believe it. My two people who have muscle parasites have just been treated with treatment quality 200% (clean bed outside hospital) and 216% (sterile 0.6 hospital bed with vitals monitor). Kevin the doctor has 13 Medicine. The patients still have Movement/Manipulation displayed as 70% after treatment. Glitterworld medicine was used. They still move visibly slower than healthy colonists, and no leg injuries / fast walker / slowpoke / jogger are involved.

That likely means you've possibly hit the cap on however much the penalties can be reduced. Won't stop them from being sick.
If you don't want to burn medicine, then you don't need to. So long as they are treated.

b0rsuk

I don't see the difference - treated, untreated. Are you saying penalties are higher when untreated ?

praguepride

The easiest example to show the difference is infections from wounds. If left untreated even someone in a medical bed with improved immunity gain will probably die before reaching 100% immunity. If treated without medicine in a hospital bed with improved immunity gain then it is a close call (if I use a good doctor but no medicine then they usually get immunity right around the time it turns Severe). If used medicine, even herbal meds, they develop immunity around Major infection.

BIIIG difference in how fast infections progress between untreated/treated/treated with meds.

Mathenaut

Quote from: praguepride on April 23, 2016, 07:51:01 AM
The easiest example to show the difference is infections from wounds. If left untreated even someone in a medical bed with improved immunity gain will probably die before reaching 100% immunity. If treated without medicine in a hospital bed with improved immunity gain then it is a close call (if I use a good doctor but no medicine then they usually get immunity right around the time it turns Severe). If used medicine, even herbal meds, they develop immunity around Major infection.

BIIIG difference in how fast infections progress between untreated/treated/treated with meds.

This is true for most of the diseases in general. With some of the new diseases, this isn't the case. Gut Worms, for instance, will not pass regardless of treatment quality. Only when they have been treated 8 times.

I've done some more testing. It seems that the treatment quality determines the length of time between treatments (the 'Trendquality' line in debug). I believe that it also affects just how severely other attributes are impaired by the disease, but that may be biases on my part.

I'd encourage others to crack open the devmode on infected colonists to see for themselves.