Tales From Dys: Hot under the collar

Started by Vastin, February 09, 2014, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vastin

Don't let the name fool ya, the colony of Dys ain't some ornery cage full of convicts or none a that - we got a lawman here what keeps the order day in an day out, so it's 'bout as safe as you can expect on the ass-end of some dust ball out on the rim.

Now you'd think out here we'd be knockin' down raiders every other day, but not so much. Truth is, they stay clear of us here, for the most part. But this morning? That was somethin' else.  Something happened with the boomrats... Dunno if it was some kinda virus, or somethin' scared em, or riled em up - hell, maybe it's their goddamn mating season. Beats me.

Anyway, first we know somethin's up was the sound of scratching at the outer gate, which we didn't pay no mind. But then it just keeps gettin' louder, but hell, they's just boomrats, they cain't chew through no gate, crazy or not. Course, it turns out they can dig under it if they've a mind too, or beat themselves against it until one of the loco critters blows his'self to kingdom come and knocks it down, which is just what they did.

Then we noticed I can tell you. We saw that ball of fire go up outside the walls, and everyone jest dropped what they was doin' and grabbed a gun as those little devils came pourin' through the gate, all afire and hoppin' mad. Now I don't mean to sound all melodromatic or nothin', but it was a downright wave of furry flamin' anger what came rollin' through our front door, and no mistakin' it.

We all took to the bags lickety split and poured it on, but anyone who says boomrats is sluggish ain't seen one runnin' at you all afire and set to blow like some kinda explosive, ah, whataya call them things again?... Lemmins! Like a bunch a' explosive god-damn lemmins!

Anyway, a couple of 'em went up like fireworks as they ran in, but there was plenty more where those came from, and in moments they was up on the bags all bitin' and clawin' and burnin' - then as you mighta guessed one of the bastards exploded right in the middle of the line and all heck just breaks loose, and we got people runnin' about with they's pants and hair on fire, and just one heck of a holler and to-do, and it gets so a man can't barely see the hand in front of his face for all the smoke and sparks and bullets and explodin' god-damn rodents all over the place. That just ain't a sight yer quick to forget, even if you can't barely see it.

Well anyways, to make a long story short, we managed to keep the damn things away from the main shack somehow, and finally finished em off, and ain't nobody dead - but now I've got three folks with 3rd degree burns who are like to be laid up for at least a week, a couple more with some nasty bites, and damn near everybody's got a few scorches and are still coughin' from all the smoke they dun breathed in while we tried to beat the fires out.

So next time some idjit tries to tell you that them boomrats is all 'harmless' and it's just plain mean to be use'n 'em for target practice and what all? You just pay them fools no mind and keep plinkin' away, cause when next time them little bastards get ornery on you, you'll be glad you did - mark my words.

CodyRex123

haha, I say squrriles with just 3 people to fight them off is more powerful then boomrats attacking you with a full conley
Dragons!

Untrustedlife

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK