I made a lantern but...

Started by RemingtonRyder, May 06, 2016, 03:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dareddevil7

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 09, 2016, 10:24:22 PM
Who needs parka's in this -100C when you have vodka to keep the inside warm and vodka fire to keep the outside warm!
Vodka is basically watered down ethanol

Highlandman

Quote from: dareddevil7 on May 10, 2016, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 09, 2016, 10:24:22 PM
Who needs parka's in this -100C when you have vodka to keep the inside warm and vodka fire to keep the outside warm!
Vodka is basically watered down ethanol

Instilled with patriotic spirit, don't forget comerade.

Jakalth

Hmmm, wood + cooking table = charcoal.  Or you could simply add charcoal as a byproduct of one or more of the current wood burning "buildings".  Charcoal fired lanterns are pretty much what was used back in the old days anyways, when liquid fuel or wax wasn't available.

I think the idea of using the brewing table to make lamp fuel is a good one.  Doesn't have to relate to any edible fuels, could be methanol, which is wood based.  But edible fuel, aka Vodka(as already suggested) would be more fun. ;) The lamp fuel would be more efficient then using charcoal since the fuel source is a lot more compact and portable.  Relates to a longer burn duration and/or you get more fuel from about the same amount of resources used to make it, then you get from charcoal.

Also, if you want to get technical, liquid fueled lanterns tended to be a lot brighter then their solid fueled counterparts.  But they also had the ability to turn down their flame to a dimmer setting by adjusting the wick.  So your choice, as the mod creator, on that part.

RemingtonRyder

Progress report. Did pretty much what I said I was going to do. A lot of the time today went into making new art assets.

I came up with a very simple way of switching lanterns from burning oil to burning wood - added a recipe to convert them on the basic crafting spot. You can of course also build them from the architect as usual.

Nictis

As long as I can keep my colonists from refueling them, I like it.

RemingtonRyder

Hmm, yeah that should be easily doable, I just have to add CompProperties_Forbiddable and see if that works.

Nictis

Quote from: MarvinKosh on May 15, 2016, 09:21:00 PM
Hmm, yeah that should be easily doable, I just have to add CompProperties_Forbiddable and see if that works.

You know how to forbid things, you are now my favorite person.

HolyWinter

A long in a Lantern? pff, I don't discriminate. As long as it works properly.

Perhaps in the future you'll think up an alternative?
My Mods:
♫ Rimusic ♫
Find me on Steam and also follow my curator page!
My Steam Page.
~Holy