Raids with no warning. Or an option to turn off the alerts.

Started by Fruit loops, May 07, 2016, 01:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruit loops

The alert system is a good addition to some, but personally I dislike the alert system (for hostile attacks) for a few reasons:

Alerts kill the chance of any surprises. sure you might miss a guy flanking you and be surprised, but if your colonists can tell when raiders/packs of wargs/traders/some random guy passing through/ appears with no explanation than how the hell didn't you see the asteroid that crashed into your ship from ages away. (exaggeration on the last bit :P) It takes from the possible suspense of raids/other threats. As the title suggests maybe make a raid type that doesn't have an alert. Maybe have fewer people in them or something like that to balance it out. I was also thinking that once your pawn was hit or you click on them etc., it would have an alert that lets you know it wasn't a bug or something like that. (a bit more subtle)

My second Idea was for a option (like the iron-man option) to disable alerts for hostile events. I must admit having my guy pass out because I didn't know he had the plague would be a annoying so maybe keep the positive/friendly/not rage because I didn't know my whole colony had malaria alerts.

just giving my two cents.
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Aatxe360

You'd probably lose your colony to manhunter packs, but to each their own, I guess.

Also, this should be in suggestions.

milon

That's an interesting idea, and I'd use it on occasion if it were implemented.

Quote from: Aatxe360 on May 07, 2016, 03:35:52 AM
Also, this should be in suggestions.

No back seat moderation please. If you see a problem, report it and move on.

keylocke

i don't mind, as long as it can be toggled as option.

and if one day FOW also becomes available as a toggleable option, i might try a few playthroughs with both FOW active and notifications off.

then i'll play on a modded randy random with a desiredPopulationMin of 50. (edit : oh wait, i think a modded cass is gonna be better and more challenging than randy) play it on a temperate biome rather than ice sheet or extreme desert so there's no free map-wide temperature killbox.

booyah, here comes fun times.  ;D

branch?

Maybe a special type of raid that's more of a "secretly kidnap colonists" instead of "tear apart the colony".

A group of melee proficient raiders show up without warning and incapacitate and kidnap a colonist and you'd only notice yourself if you saw it happening and it would give a notification once they are carting the colonist off the map.

Maybe it has a higher chance of happening to a colonist who arrived seeking refuge.
how lit was it

Listen1

Quote from: Glitterworld Plant-Boy on May 07, 2016, 07:27:37 AM
Maybe a special type of raid that's more of a "secretly kidnap colonists" instead of "tear apart the colony".

A group of melee proficient raiders show up without warning and incapacitate and kidnap a colonist and you'd only notice yourself if you saw it happening and it would give a notification once they are carting the colonist off the map.

Maybe it has a higher chance of happening to a colonist who arrived seeking refuge.

Spy, Assasins, Thiefs, they should all add to he game. Imagine if someone just wanders inside your colony, with the intention of killing someone. They appear and start a fight, much like the social one. If he downs your colonist, he kills him.

This would bring much drama, as well as a need of having some melee weapons inside the colonist room.

Maybe some other mechanics will be needed for this to happen, maybe a reworked version of animals healping out, colonist sleeping locking doors, something like that.

Negocromn

yeah so we would have to be always scouting the edges of the map, refreshing enemies on the numbers tab and so on, would totally fit in with the rest of rimworld's gameplay

I bet that the vast majority of people suggesting these RTS features wouldn't actually enjoy them

Listen1

Yeah, everyone want's new features, and when they are implemented the rage takes the forum. I'd love to do more and deal with many many other events.

Zombra

30 tribals appearing at the edge of the map, or pirate drop pods crashing down into my garden, or giant hungry insects bursting up through the cave floor is enough of a surprise for me.

Fruit loops

@Negocromm

"yeah so we would have to be always scouting the edges of the map, refreshing enemies on the numbers tab and so on, would totally fit in with the rest of rimworld's gameplay"

Sure, you might have to be more vigilant, you might have to pay more attention to certain aspects of the game, but your making it sound much worse than it would be. Your first points were that you would have to constantly be scouting the edges of the map, (I'll go over the no alert for a new raid option, then the option to turn off hostile raid alerts.) but with sieges, normal raids and sappers it already makes it less likely to happen. On top of that I said "Maybe have fewer people in them or something like that to balance it out." meaning that they would be worse than normal raids in some way, with the only thing that they would have over other raids being that you wouldn't know that they were attacking. Even more, you would only have to check your borders every few days due to raids only happening every few days. (3-5 in my experience with a few oddballs every now and then.)

Now to the option that --> you <-- can toggle turn on when you create a new colony is not meant to be on by default, its meant for a small group of people who would enjoy it, not everyone.

Your second point was that it wouldn't fit in with the rest of rimworld's gameplay. ('would totally fit in with the rest of rimworld's gameplay') It was not meant to fit in with 'rimworlds gameplay' it was meant as a curve-ball that you were not expecting, a surprise. On the togglable side of things once again, if you pressed the button then you would know what you were getting yourself into. its meant for a small group that want something different from (the 100% defined) rimworld gameplay.

Now onto your last statement : "I bet that the vast majority of people suggesting these RTS features wouldn't actually enjoy them" Why would you think that? If people ask for a feature/addition the people asking for the said features/additions usually knows what they enjoy. As a matter of fact I bet that the vast majority of people suggesting these RTS features would enjoy them.

Zombra

Ehh.  You're arguing for an expensive "option" for those who aren't satisfied with the intended base game.  I could almost see it if there was no balancing to be done, but adding what would in effect be a whole new game mode is too much to ask for.

Just ask someone to make a mod that removes the alerts.  Poof, done.  Anything more and we are getting into the whole stealth/Fog of War argument again.  Search for FOW and you'll see that the subject has already been beat to death and this game mode is not coming to the base game.

Fruit loops

I didn't know that balancing the the raids would be that difficult I would think that you could make the 'non-alert' raid see your colony wealth only as 80% of the actual wealth or a number like that. It may not be that easy, if not a nightmare but due to the fact I have no coding experience I couldn't say.

I'm not sure if my post made it sound like the togglable option would have been balanced, as that was not the way I intended to phrase it.

Zombra

For a slapdash version, I still think a mod would be best.  No sense distracting Tynan with this optional mode when he has enough to do with the real game.

Fruit loops

Would your view point change any if the balancing part of this wasn't included?

Zombra

Quote from: Fruit loops on May 07, 2016, 09:39:23 PMWould your view point change any if the balancing part of this wasn't included?

On reflection ... not really  ;)

Including it as an option in the base game would imply that it was fully supported as an intended style for the game to be played, which it isn't and wouldn't be.  If it was officially added, I would want it to be done right ... well balanced, tested, and a feature that Ludeon could be proud of.  Doing it without putting in the work to do it well would be worse than not doing it at all.  One zebra's opinion.

Listen, I'm not unsympathetic.  I myself drafted up a long post a few days ago, about the potential for stealth mechanics and stealth-related encounters.  Before I posted it, though, I did my research, and found the threads on Fog Of War and found out (and found myself agreeing with) why FOW-flavored content is not a good fit for this game.  I abandoned the post and haven't looked back, and now I'm here urging you to essentially do the same thing  ;D  Friendly advice.