Town Hall, managing multiple towns

Started by colonistPally, February 10, 2014, 11:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonistPally

Hello. This's 2-parter.

I would like a new building called a "town hall." It would serve the purpose of identifying a unique singular town.

As soon as you built one, this would be a 2nd option of splitting out "home zones" so you could have multiple "home zones." For example "home 1," "home 2," Home 3," and "resource 1," "resource 2," "resource 3."

As the game gets bigger it won't be viable to fill up the entire area with a sprawling metropolis right away. Especially when the map doubles or triples in size and CPU resources can handle it... It's more likely you'll start placing small towns wherever there is a geyser. Problem is that if there's metal in the other town people'll try to go get it, wear them self out, ! and rampage. So you'd set the other town's resource square as a "town 2 resource" so the "town 1" people wouldn't go get it.

Right now on the smallest setting there are 2 geysers, one on each. I know as soon as I build over there, people'll want to make the trek back and forth for resources and I won't be able to manage their beds without some difficulty. I could build a road but it'd take forever and be crazy expensive. The attacks are already scaling up to over 7 attackers so I need to carefully balance out my colonists.

So what do you think? Some kind of multiple town hall, multiple town zone functionality? Then I could assign colonists to "town 1" and "town 2." Then they'd go find a bed on "town 2 home" instead of "town 1 home" ?

Make sense for bigger maps or if things are very spread out on a smaller map?

Vagabond

Hey,

I like the idea. I'd want vehicles ...or horses...or both first. To make it more practical for my soldiers to get around, because I think that would be where it got tricky having more then one settlement: proficient fighters to defend.

Cheers,
Michael

Galileus

Even on biggest maps I did not have to deal with that problem, really. And I feel making multiple super-small houses all over the map is simply not the way the game is intended to be played, and thus doing something that actually promotes it is not all that great of an idea. Fitting 12 people in one area is not hard at all, and I simply don't see the need to do the split.

Vagabond

Quote from: Galileus on February 10, 2014, 11:58:19 AM
Even on biggest maps I did not have to deal with that problem, really. And I feel making multiple super-small houses all over the map is simply not the way the game is intended to be played, and thus doing something that actually promotes it is not all that great of an idea. Fitting 12 people in one area is not hard at all, and I simply don't see the need to do the split.

Hey,

I was thinking more about a time when we've got bigger maps. Access to more colonists. If features like vehicles, families, water (for drinking/sewage/hygiene) ever get implemented. Where expansion, trade (between areas), and such are needed to support your population.

Cheers,
Michael

Galileus

Are we even going to get bigger maps? And the game is designed around the concept of small colonies: around 10, maybe 20 people.

Vagabond

Galileus,

I hope we get bigger maps and more people! Not much of a colony building experience if you are stuck with a few people who get recycled out as they die. It's more like an outpost/fort then. Not a place where people are trying to make a new life and prosper (which is what I'd consider a colony to be).

Cheers,
Michael

colonistPally

@Vagabond yeah I was thinking of transportation also but thought I'd either put it in another post or someone else already has. As soon as they put animal taming in the game, we can have pack Muffalo's. :) Get the caravan prepared, and start the trek.

Of course your guys would need little tents so they could make temporary beds along the way. Imagine them setting up camp, awwww! :)

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Vagabond on February 10, 2014, 12:20:01 PM
Galileus,

I hope we get bigger maps and more people! Not much of a colony building experience if you are stuck with a few people who get recycled out as they die. It's more like an outpost/fort then. Not a place where people are trying to make a new life and prosper (which is what I'd consider a colony to be).

Cheers,
Michael
I always think of it as an outpost.
The game is apparently supposed to be centered around individual colonists Not a large amount. Tynan has said this.

You won't get hundreds of colonists - we want to keep the number small enough that you can know each one individually.
It is about the story you have after the end of the game (be it you die or get off the planet), usually die.

You don't get these kinds of stories with a metropolis or many colonists. (so many that they lose there individuality.

----------------------------

Now if this idea were adapted to be done in the same way dwarf fortress handles thins kind of thing (by assigning certain colonists to certain parts of the map), I could see that being done.(and if you took out all of the "metropolis " parts of this idea). I could see it being very useful.
I believe dwarf fortress calls them Burrows?

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Vagabond

Hello,

QuoteI always think of it as an outpost.
The game is apparently supposed to be centered around individual colonists Not a large amount. Tynan has said this.

Why would our dudes be called settlers/colonists if they are simply people being sent to a Rim World to set up an outpost? A colonist is a person colonizing a place. They build colonies to facilitate this.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with "The Sims" series, "The Sims 3" to be precise; there are an insane amount of characters in each world, and I get to know a lot of them really well, and I have absolutely no say over what they do. In fact, you only control your own family in that game.

It doesn't matter how many colonist there are, only how interesting colonists are made to be. Games such as "The Sims" prove this. When you walk your dog every day after work, and the same old guy also happens to be in the same place every day, reading a newspaper while he waits for someone to accept his chess match challenge.... that is an interesting character whom you want to learn more about.

Just my opinion, though.

Cheers,
Michael

Coenmcj

Quote from: Vagabond on February 11, 2014, 10:14:56 PM
Why would our dudes be called settlers/colonists if they are simply people being sent to a Rim World to set up an outpost? A colonist is a person colonizing a place. They build colonies to facilitate this.

Cheers,
Michael

You raise a good point, yes they are indeed colonists, however your initial 3 "Colonists" are all descending in escape pods at the start and I do believe it mentions something about your ship breaking apart. It is not their choice to be here on this specific planet, just making do.

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

colonistPally

This's to anyone who has an issue with how people're RP'ing their colony. My interpretation of RimWorld is that it's an open book. We can RP it however we want. We can decide why they landed there all by ourselves. If someone wants to RP a prison ship crashing, or if they want to RP a colonizing ship crashing, or if they want to RP a marine troop transport crashing. In fact I can see down the road maybe a checkbox next to the roll where you could click and say "prison ship" and all of the sudden everyone you roll will have the same stats, but all be absolute psychos. Or another checkbox where you select "military" and they all have same stats but military personalities and training.

I mean you can have a ship of janitors land because it was a janitor ship. You can have a ship of doctors crash. Or a ship of herbalists. Who cares???

Try to be as supportive and open as possible to how people want to RP their colonies. These are the core community that are going to keep the game going longer than everyone else whether or not you agree with how they play their colony.

Me personally RP's my colony as a survivor colony. Escaping an oppressive regime and civil unrest. They don't crash land, it's just their "bug out" location. So people can RP however they want. They aren't hurting anyone. Just let everyone play the game how they want. This should be a safe place to talk about our adventures.

Vagabond

Coenmcj,

QuoteYou raise a good point, yes they are indeed colonists, however your initial 3 "Colonists" are all descending in escape pods at the start and I do believe it mentions something about your ship breaking apart. It is not their choice to be here on this specific planet, just making do.

Well, their intention was still to colonize. Not to create an outpost or fortification. Being a rimworld, I would imagine the chance of rescue would be slim. Not to mention, I believe I read somewhere that faster-than-light travel (warp drives, stargate-wormhole things, ect.) hasn't been discovered. If that is the case, then a distress call would likely still take quite a long time to reach anyone with the ability to rescue them, and when it did, would anyone even answer it?

I could be wrong though, of course.

My main point still stands, I think. They are colonists. Colonist do colonial things like working towards a self-sufficient colony. Settlements require resources, and can only support so many people. Once an initial area is settled, the priority would shift towards finding other possible sites for habitation. This is where having the ability to easily manage multiple settlements would prove useful. Those geothermal vents are like water and arable land. They are immensely useful, and I can see them being one of the primary things people look for when trying to find more room for an increasing population.

This is all assuming that the game will support families/higher populations/larger maps/transportation/ect.

colonistPally,

My post are based on my understanding of what is "canon" or within the lore of the setting as of now. As far as I know, I'm taking control of three colonists from a burnt up ship who have landed in escape pods on a satellite orbiting a gas giant. At least that is what I've gathered.

I simply base my posts on the facts that I've gathered, however erroneous they may be; in which case, I'd greatly appreciate clarification.

Cheers,
Michael

colonistPally

@Vaga no idea man. Your guess is as good as mine. I assumed it was literally and figuratively a sandbox and we could do whatever we wanted. Hence all of the goof-off "skills" that everyone has.

I could literally have 3 doctors crash land if I want. So it becomes 3 doctors trying to survive. Does that make it non-canon now? I have no idea.  3 military guys crash land? So it was a military ship crash. *shrug* It could have been a hairstylist ship. Or whatever. I think it's just about having fun and enjoying your sandbox until the director AI wipes you out.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Vagabond on February 11, 2014, 11:44:18 PM
Coenmcj,

QuoteYou raise a good point, yes they are indeed colonists, however your initial 3 "Colonists" are all descending in escape pods at the start and I do believe it mentions something about your ship breaking apart. It is not their choice to be here on this specific planet, just making do.

Well, their intention was still to colonize. Not to create an outpost or fortification. Being a rimworld, I would imagine the chance of rescue would be slim. Not to mention, I believe I read somewhere that faster-than-light travel (warp drives, stargate-wormhole things, ect.) hasn't been discovered. If that is the case, then a distress call would likely still take quite a long time to reach anyone with the ability to rescue them, and when it did, would anyone even answer it?

I could be wrong though, of course.

My main point still stands, I think. They are colonists. Colonist do colonial things like working towards a self-sufficient colony. Settlements require resources, and can only support so many people. Once an initial area is settled, the priority would shift towards finding other possible sites for habitation. This is where having the ability to easily manage multiple settlements would prove useful. Those geothermal vents are like water and arable land. They are immensely useful, and I can see them being one of the primary things people look for when trying to find more room for an increasing population.

This is all assuming that the game will support families/higher populations/larger maps/transportation/ect.

colonistPally,

My post are based on my understanding of what is "canon" or within the lore of the setting as of now. As far as I know, I'm taking control of three colonists from a burnt up ship who have landed in escape pods on a satellite orbiting a gas giant. At least that is what I've gathered.

I simply base my posts on the facts that I've gathered, however erroneous they may be; in which case, I'd greatly appreciate clarification.

Cheers,
Michael
I can clear this up

You are very right about ftl travel (it is actually impossible in the rimverse, not just undiscovererd)

Rimworlds are very islolated (as are most other planets, rimworlds more-so.) they are also lawless and violent.

you can read about it here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

and in the "Longsleep revival briefing" here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fUO3KKbAbTxMP1lqphnnodY0NPoOVblCUkDw-54MDUc/pub

(both are by tynan, about this games universe and lore (perhaps they will gear your suggestions in a awesome direction), (they were given to kickstarter backers, since then he has linked us here on the forums to it)

They are also really fun to read.

(It might say something about this on the main website as-well)

But lets continue

No their intent was not originally to colonize, it was (when you talk about the intended story),  a passenger liner that crashed which is why your colonists arent "professional Colonists".
(it is stated here)

(main website)
In RimWorld, your colonists are not professional settlers â€" they’re survivors from a crashed passenger liner. They'll be accountants, homemakers, journalists, cooks, nobles, urchins, and soldiers.

And you usually do end up making/defending what can only be described as a fortress if you want to survive (with most of the current storyteller AI's.)
yea we need more of them.

Phoebe is the closest one to the play-style of "Building a city" the rest are about rising tension to a eventual epic death (except for randy)

We will be able to mod them later on though, the storytellers.

This doesn't mean you can't make up your own story though. Its just what is canon
as ColonistPally clearly pointed out and is a HUGE part of this game, as it has been described by tynan himself as a "Story Generator"

So don't let the cannon story interfere with your own

He also said this:
You won't get hundreds of colonists - we want to keep the number small enough that you can know each one individually.
(sorry for quoting it again)
so I assume we are not meant to get get past 100  colonists. (at least that is how I interpret it) Right now we are limited to under 30, so it may be more extreme then that.

I love the sims games (all of em) but i think that even in the sims you do not get to know everyone in your town, only your family and the people they encounter.

also I said this in the second half of my post, which you seemed to ignore/didnt mention so i wasn't sure if you read it:
Now if this idea were adapted to be done in the same way dwarf fortress handles thins kind of thing (by assigning certain colonists to certain parts of the map), I could see that being done.(and if you took out all of the "metropolis " parts of this idea). I could see it being very useful.
I believe dwarf fortress calls them Burrows?

This way you COULD define villages and assign colonists to them (if you wanted separate ones)

What do you think of this idea?

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

colonistPally

The problem is, that there *are* professional colonists that you can randomly roll and eventually get. You can roll 3 actual legitimate colonists and RP that if you want. Or military or doctors or whatever other one you want. Or you could RP a Gilligan's Island scenario and have a doctor a scientist and a skipper or whatever.

So how official is the official story? Why can't we just change the ship type to be whatever we want, if we want? Like when you start it could say, "what type of ship do you want?"
*random cruise liner?
*military ship? (Star Ship Troopers, StarCraft)
*Scientist Ship? (Alien 4)
*hair dresser ship? (I don't know why I keep imagining this one)
*janitor ship? (Lexx?)
*Mining Ship (Red Dwarf, muaaa)
*Prison Ship (Alien3)

Maybe some day if we need canon for some specific reason.. but I hearken back to like Diablo 1 where you can beat the game with any one of 5-6 guys (depending on which main or extended, or extended unlocked version of Diablo 1 you're playing) But you find out in Diablo 2 it was the Warrior that killed Diablo with no mention of the rest of the characters. So if there's ever a RimWorld expansion or DLC or sequel it can just say what the combination was supposed to be, and move from there? Meanwhile just let us choose and have fun with it like you would any other game with multiple characters, but only one outcome canon for story purposes?

I just want everyone to have as much fun and as much creativity as possible, and it seems like people are already doing that, so I'm just feeding and nurturing the idea. :P It wouldn't even take more than a few tiny bits of code to put this in the game so people don't have to purposefully reroll it.

My next Colony is going to be a mining colony. I think the next one after that will be a military one. I don't want it to be some big offensive thing that I'm doing this.

I've never played "Dwarf Fortress" so I know nothing about it, but this game doesn't have to be exactly like that one. Just like it doesn't have to be exactly like FarmVille, Sims, or StarCraft. But to ignore swaths of already working, successful, and familiar gameplay mechanics is a huge mistake. Nintendo keeps doing it with the Zelda franchise and it bites them in the ass every other entry. Take what works when applicable, apply it, and do it well. There's no need to reinvent the wheel on a lot of the philosophy of this game. It's all there in bits and pieces across many other games. No single game should have exclusive inspiration here... It's about making the best game.

Raph explains this a lot better than I do. http://www.raphkoster.com/2014/01/06/how-i-analyze-a-game/ Miyamoto has also talked about it before, so has Suda51. This isn't like an idea coming from me. It's a completely different mindset on how to look at games.