"Neuter" operation for tamed animals

Started by NWCtim, May 08, 2016, 01:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWCtim

It's a relatively common operation for farmers to control the population of their herds, and could be equally useful for players' herds.

Trivia: "Neuter" is the gender neutral term for spay and castrate.  People just don't like to hear the word castrate, due to its association with the medieval punishment, so we tend to use neuter for male pets.

Songleaves

Kegereneku

A simple solution to a known imperfection.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

I want the ability to use this on humans.

Divinion

Cutting off their head prevents breeding. and gives you fur/meat :)

Really there isn't a problem with them breeding on their own.  Just butcher the babies if you dont want them, or only tame 1 sex of the animal.  I dont see the point of having to have the extra code added in to complicate something that is easily avoidable.

rexx1888

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 08, 2016, 03:27:27 AM

i mean, you specifically are terrible for wanting that, but its a good suggestion :P

The-MathMog

This would be a good addition. It could be in the operation tap.

Is it at this point we suggest operating explosives into the animals as well... Or is that going too far? ^^

Idlemind79

Kegereneku

There's situation where you can't just "Slaughter the excess" and it pose a problem.
Livestock don't pose problems but Familiar that you can't confine in separate zone because they help you hauling.

Not that it's really important (except neutering human), I'll trade that against any new events.

Quote from: The-MathMog on May 08, 2016, 08:57:52 AM
Is it at this point we suggest operating explosives into the animals as well... Or is that going too far? ^^

Not at all, I'm all to extract explosive from Boomal... Oh wait, you meant into.
That's the Rimworld effect for you.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Zombra

Nice.  The option could change the animal's gender variable from "male" or "female" to "neuter" for simplicity.  I would definitely use this.

Would be nice if it were a simple keystroke command instead of having to go through the Operations menu.  Clicking through all that for 15 newly hatched chickens seems very unnecessary.  Unless we get some decent animal  management shortcuts.

b0rsuk

Quote from: rexx1888 on May 08, 2016, 08:21:29 AM
Quote from: b0rsuk on May 08, 2016, 03:27:27 AM

i mean, you specifically are terrible for wanting that, but its a good suggestion :P
Terrible to do to a human but okay to an animal ?

blub01

Quote from: Divinion on May 08, 2016, 05:19:47 AM
Cutting off their head prevents breeding. and gives you fur/meat :)

Really there isn't a problem with them breeding on their own.  Just butcher the babies if you dont want them, or only tame 1 sex of the animal.  I dont see the point of having to have the extra code added in to complicate something that is easily avoidable.

but what if the animal has bonded with a colonist?
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

firescythe

Quote from: Idlemind79 on May 08, 2016, 09:26:07 AM
Just slaughter the excess animals?

And if you want to own 4pcs of them, then you gave a reoccouring management task. Excess-slaughter...excess-slaughter...excess-slaughter... rinse and repeat. All my kudos to you if this means gameplay experience you are wishing for, but for me keeping a line on breeding with final solution is better.

I have a male cat IRL. Castrated in anesthesia. He was a stray cat rescued from main riverbench. I don't want him to starve to death, but still I am supposed to take care at my living area to not let him make many more kittens than what necessary.

Jonofwrath

Bodog999

I would love to get a neuter operation, its not fun having around 350 huskies and 400-450 animals walking around in your colony, eating a lot of food, reproducing like a plague and lagging the game like a b****