Turretless Fortress

Started by Thane, May 08, 2016, 10:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thane

This is honestly just showing off a bit. It's not the best colony ever, but I think it demonstrates a unique defense style taken to the extreme. That is the tendency of the various AIs to spread themselves out and attack various points at once.

The dozens of doors lining the perimeter scatter large raids like chaff. This makes it easy to catch small groups in intense crossfire with charge rifles, or longswords. Even large Mech raids are taken out with relative ease, granted copious quantities of booze.

There are no turrets, it is a flat jungle. I'd share some stories, but unlike many of my colonies I did not get particularly attached to any colonists. The ones I did promptly filled the caskets in the bottom left. It was cool watching 5 mechs eliminate an infestation I let go though.

Causes of death ranged from disease to triple rocket launchers to the face. Difficulty is Cassandra Extreme.

In the Third Year:

In the Fifth Year:

I might have maybe, just maybe dev-moded that bit of marsh away... It was in the way of Symmetry!!!!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Bob_Namg

Fortresses w/o turrets and killboxes will always be superior to those with.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

Vaporisor

I really like that concept.  I might need to integrate it with my own turretless design with my next roleplay build I am planning.  It would work well in the design.  Lots of potential and on that difficulty, seems hearty enough and viable through all stages of gameplay.

On story side, gotta feel bad for Camba and Harley and the couple others it looks like only around from the top pic.  How many friends did they put into the ground... sniff sniff.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Thane

I've lost 7 I could bury. Not sure how many have burned, or got mistakenly thrown into the beggar's graveyard. I'll say this there was a pretty drastic downturn in year 4 barely pulled out of that.

Edit: Harley has had a rough time of it. She has a prosthetic leg so there have been a number of times that I've removed it for a couple seasons to keep her from berserking. Not sure how many friends and family she's lost. At one point her husband, dog and a friend had all kicked the bucket within 3 days.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Dragonoftherim

I'm imagining like a helicopter fly over (in the future when its like a military base or something) with new recruits and a grizzled sergeant saying like "recruits welcome to the citadel"   
Space the final... what do you mean no FTL? screw that ain't  no one freezing my butt
-Dragonoftherim

xrumblingcdsx

I use the same concept. I make a square colony with (2) outer walls and lots of doors in each. Then ill have my colonists poke out of the doors and take pot shots at the raiders. Meanwhile my melee/wardog colonists pick off the ones who attack doors by themselves.

Once they break the outer wall they get to another wall with lots of doors but it also has a line of traps between doors. My current colony is nearing year 3 with 20 colonists and 3 deaths on Randy random extreme. Randy seems easier these days he used to be brutal.

Tatte

I never seem to use turrets
~Tatte~

b0rsuk

Something is Wrong in Rimworld that defence relies so heavily on turrets and doors. It's extremely hard to defend your colony without using either.

I haven't used turrets since the first ten minutes of playing RimWorld many alphas ago when I found they are just garbage.  No range, no accuracy; the only thing they are good for is a distraction for enemies, but they are an expensive one at that - both in materials and power.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.