ADD as a Trait / Health Ailment

Started by Lakuna, May 15, 2016, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king komodo

Quote from: vomov on May 26, 2016, 06:15:28 AM
Quote from: Nitro1248 on May 25, 2016, 03:07:29 AM
I try to make a contribution and I get called autistic
Which is not an insult, just as ADD, OCD, Bipolar, 'associative personality', or 'Caucasian'. Don't take it as such.

OT, personalities/personality traits would be a nice addition to pawns, but I'd suggest not to stop with ADD. The most successful artists tend to have some variant of a bipolar personality, people with associative personalities are more productive than average in social settings (usually), and who wouldn't want an autistic savant on research? Just make sure the OCD-guy isn't allowed to flick buttons.

To say something Autism and ADD/ADHD are actually very similar. Second I actually think it'd be funny if someone with OCD could "break" some of those rules. They may not be allowed to flick switches but if something really feels off about a switch they may just do it anyway. Just not during combat.

Justas love

Quote from: yaplash on May 15, 2016, 10:09:23 PM
ADD, or Attention Deficit Disorder, is a disorder that causes a person to lose focus easily (I sometimes find myself looking at the ceiling while in math class on days that I forget to take my medicine). Some other symptoms include: Depression, forgetfulness, and hyperactivity (ADHD).

I think it might be fun (and infuriating) to have ADD and/or ADHD as traits in Rimworld.
Proposed effects:
(sorry for quoting all of this) There is a mod called ''More Trats'' that adds alot of traits, so you should post it in there and i can guarantee you that he will put one of them in :)
1) Permanent mood reduction
2) Other colonists think badly of them (Social tab, probably a small reduction)
3) Colonist has a chance to randomly have a soft "Wandering" mental break, even in the middle of a job.
4) Speed boost (Hyperactivity)
5) Melee attack boost (Hyperactivity)

If you have any other ideas for effects, please add them below.
I suppose this could also be a health effect in the brain, but the effects are more like that of a characteristic.

milon

@Justas Love, it's personal pet peeve of mine for someone to put their reply IN the quote block.  Makes it quite hard to read what you are actually saying.  Please consider editing.

Quote from: king komodo on May 26, 2016, 11:41:25 AMThey may not be allowed to flick switches but if something really feels off about a switch they may just do it anyway. Just not during combat.

Not while drafted, I would say.  (It's totally fine if they do it while others are off fighting somewhere.  Maybe even more likely.  ;)

Edit- corrected name at start of post

Lakuna

Quote from: milon on May 26, 2016, 02:11:42 PM
@yaplash, it's personal pet peeve of mine for someone to put their reply IN the quote block.  Makes it quite hard to read what you are actually saying.  Please consider editing.

Quote from: king komodo on May 26, 2016, 11:41:25 AMThey may not be allowed to flick switches but if something really feels off about a switch they may just do it anyway. Just not during combat.

Not while drafted, I would say.  (It's totally fine if they do it while others are off fighting somewhere.  Maybe even more likely.  ;)
What do you mean?

milon

:o

Wow, that was a total brain fart. Sorry, I meant Justas Love. I think my brain transposed names since he was quoting you.

vomov

Quote from: king komodo on May 26, 2016, 11:41:25 AM
To say something Autism and ADD/ADHD are actually very similar.
A lot of these disorders have large overlaps; some variants of autism are heavily associated with ADD/ADHD, some with bipolar disorder, and a few have nice links with psychopathy. However, that might go a bit far for Rimworld :)

Quote from: king komodo on May 26, 2016, 11:41:25 AMSecond I actually think it'd be funny if someone with OCD could "break" some of those rules. They may not be allowed to flick switches but if something really feels off about a switch they may just do it anyway. Just not during combat.
Based on stress level, symptoms could get more prevalent. A big battle is going on, and the OCD-guy starts flicking switches, the ASD-guy goes to his bedroom, because it's bedtime, and the bipolar guy starts work on a huge statue. The ADD-guy, obviously, fights the whole battle by himself, but switches targest often.

And with that, I reduced four kinds of people to stereotypes. No offence intended.

Lakuna

Quote from: vomov on May 27, 2016, 07:03:54 AM
A lot of these disorders have large overlaps; some variants of autism are heavily associated with ADD/ADHD, some with bipolar disorder, and a few have nice links with psychopathy. However, that might go a bit far for Rimworld :)

Quote from: king komodo on May 26, 2016, 11:41:25 AMSecond I actually think it'd be funny if someone with OCD could "break" some of those rules. They may not be allowed to flick switches but if something really feels off about a switch they may just do it anyway. Just not during combat.
Based on stress level, symptoms could get more prevalent. A big battle is going on, and the OCD-guy starts flicking switches, the ASD-guy goes to his bedroom, because it's bedtime, and the bipolar guy starts work on a huge statue. The ADD-guy, obviously, fights the whole battle by himself, but switches targest often.

And with that, I reduced four kinds of people to stereotypes. No offence intended.
Oh, that's hilarious. We should add all of these!

king komodo

Quote from: vomov on May 27, 2016, 07:03:54 AM

Actually the stereotypes kind of identify them quite well. I think this would be a great idea to add them all just to make mental breaks a little more interesting. Instead of a person with OCD wandering around they may just start flicking switches or the person with ADD/ADHD starts running around the map hitting random blocks to mine or switching between 2 or 3 crafting tables (or right before they break this starts happening).

Amariithynar

Quote from: Nitro1248 on May 24, 2016, 09:53:12 AM
I have ADD, and my personal experiences follow
1. ADD (and ADHD) people get on together well, (my mother and father are both ADD, same with my WHOLE family, and my social group is entirely ADD)
2. ADD isn't just "low interest", it's about that they enjoy certain activities, and that activity takes up all of the brain.

In gameplay terms, I suggest...
1. ADD people have a social boost to other ADD people
2. Greatly Increased speed and learning on a certain task (animals, construction, etc.) and Majorly low speed and learning (and loss of focus) on anything else
It might be like mechanites, in terms of added pros and cons

And another thing, Ritalin would be an interesting implement (but mostly a mod), with making speeds more average.

But I would love to see this in a new update (and lots of other people too, RimWorld seems to have a fairly large ADD fan base)

Social boost to other ADD/ADHD people, social penalty with non-ADD/ADHD; Greatly increased learning rate on tasks that they have interest or passion in (+0.4/0.8 for ADD/ADHD respectively) and a malus to all other learn rates (reduced to 0.1) and XP required per level (additional +2000/+4000 per level per level, making it near impossible to level up that particular ability to any high amount) as well as increasing the rate at which XP bleeds off for those uninterested skills.

Lakuna

Does it mean a suggestion won't be used if Tynan doesn't respond?

milon

Not at all.  He combs through and picks the ones he thinks fit best.  But he doesn't tell us because he doesn't like to promise anything ahead of time.  (You can't break a promise you never made, ya know.)

Lakuna

Quote from: milon on June 15, 2016, 03:22:16 PM
Not at all.  He combs thro upugh and picks the ones he thinks fit best.  But he doesn't tell us because he doesn't like to promise anything ahead of time.  (You can't break a promise you never made, ya know.)
Oh, that makes sense.

Lakuna

Can somebody tell me if any of these traits were added to the game? I won't be home for a month so I can't check.
Thank you if you do!

vomov

Lakuna

I just read the entire update log...
It doesn't look like I've had any luck ;(
Maybe next time...