Re-seeding wild plants

Started by Chibiabos, May 19, 2016, 07:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Hart

Pollen doesn't actually grow new plants; I think you guys mean something like a ton of seeds being blown in, which is a nice idea.

A pollen storm would probably increase everything outdoors' growing speed (in gameplay terms anyway), which would also be an interesting option, like an alternative to the toxic fallout. I agree though, it should come with a health effect (hayfever) for most colonists. Tasks could be interrupted by sneezing and coughing, they'd have minor pain, and it should lessen their rest effectiveness. It could build up like the toxic fallout, so being exposed for a short time would just be coughing/sneezing, then pain (sinus pain, sore throat), then it affects rest effectiveness. It would also wear off on its own like toxic build up, maybe over about 8 hours for full build up, just enough to ruin your night's sleep.

Quote from: Chibiabos on May 20, 2016, 12:36:13 AM
Its slow, but at least it'd eventually work.  At present most maps I play never regrow in their interior after a Toxic Fallout.

Then I'm sure you've also noticed that the animals rarely stray to the interior when all the food is at the map edge. That being said, the combination of this and the seed bank might make it make more sense; a reason for the animals to move inward, as opposed to making them do so abitrarily just to spread seeds.

Kegereneku

Now that you say it outloud I feel idiot.
Yeah, we are talking of a massive arrival of seeds.

By the way, did you know that BIRD are a big vector for seeds. ** Cough ** Cough **
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Chibiabos

Quote from: Kegereneku on May 21, 2016, 04:17:35 PM
Now that you say it outloud I feel idiot.
Yeah, we are talking of a massive arrival of seeds.

By the way, did you know that BIRD are a big vector for seeds. ** Cough ** Cough **

I did, as I mentioned.  I wish we had birds in game ... maybe at least one each of a bird-of-prey (eagle/hawk/etc.), a vulture/carrion-eater and maybe a larger herbivorous/omnivorous bird (crane being a large omnivorous bird).  They'd be fast and quick, able to fly over hills/mountains.  Would be nifty to have release-trained hawks to peck at enemies (would be even more awesome if they could do actual falconry, culling and bringing back small game to their handler such as squirrels, rabbits or smaller birds) :P
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Vaporisor

I am a firm believer that simple is best.  During toxic fallout or fire event, flag a seed on plant destruction, or have that seed just part of plant growth.  Invisible to the player, but after rain, trees and plants.

It also could add flavour.  Weather affecting maps.  Rare rainstorms, deserts bloom, etc.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Songleaves

I honestly can't think of any Rimworld plants that IRL whose seeds are primarily transported by mammals eating them. When acorns are eaten they get destroyed, oaks primarily get their acorns spread via squirrels and certain types of birds. Poplars are primarily wind dispersed. Grass is variable, but usually primarily abiotic, with wild oates having one of the coolest seed dispersion methods out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0yEZKKlVH0

Vaporisor

Most fruits are distributed via stool.  That is why the seed bearing portion of the plant has evolved to be so attractive to animals and easily digested.  Animals eat the fruit whole, and a hard shell prevents the seed from being digested.  Then the animal defecates and seed is sitting inside a wonderfully fertile planting of poo!

I guess only one we got are maybe the raspberry?
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Songleaves

Typically I imagine the smaller berries as being primarily dispersed by birds, but yeah I think raspberries are the best one we have on Rimworld for dispersal by mammal stools:
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/shrub/rubida/all.html#87

QuoteSeed dispersal:  Red raspberry seed is readily dispersed by birds and
mammals [87,100].  After they mature, the highly sought-after fruit
rarely remains on the plants for long [10].  Birds have been observed to
deposit 2,429 to 2,834 viable seeds per acre (6,000 to 7,000/ha)
annually in beech-birch-maple forests of New Hampshire [34].  Mammals
such as mice and chipmunks may be important dispersal agents in some
areas [59].

charkesd

Vaporisor

Quote from: charkesd on May 21, 2016, 10:24:02 PM
Is this real life

I will not let this break into song.  Thread emergency interrupt!

But having the map come back more naturally really does help player immersion in a longer game.  Special events like flowering after rain in deserts would add some atmosphere as well.  The latter just a side effect that could be applied with an environmental recovery mechanic.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Chibiabos

Grass seeds have several dispersion methods, including indirectly by animals (it does not include through animal stool):  http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grasses-disperse-seeds-67097.html

b0rsuk

Quote from: Kegereneku on May 21, 2016, 04:17:35 PM
Did you know there are no birds in Rimworld ?

Chibiabos

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 22, 2016, 02:25:42 PM
Did you know there are no birds in Rimworld ?

That's a crock.  Bock, bock, bock ...

Komyets

Sooo... bump?

Stop talking so much about "Real Life ways to repopulate flora" and focus on the "In-game version of this lol"

There has to be some bits of coding that could help this be possible, but I have yet to find out how... :(

PaoLorenz

Could well be dispersed over time in the surrounding of parent plant.
Like grass.
Plants matures, seeds, drops in the surrounding squares, new plants grow, perhaps with a need for temperature/season and rain to start it up.
Not 100% of times, of course, but let's say 30%/50% of the seeds germinate ?
Should be easy to adjust in a post-apocalyptic scenario so that the hidden, dormant seeds get a higher chance of starting a new population of plants all over (let's call it a situation of lesser competition, no adult plants, plenty of space and nutrients available... they just find better conditions to grow in a barren area).

That would encourage, as well, to leave some trees untouched to get to 100% growth, perhaps some more to let them produce/disperse seeds.
You cut them early ? Sorry man, no seeds for you !
:)

jmababa

Quote from: Chibiabos on May 19, 2016, 07:39:31 PM
I think this has been mentioned a few times, but I think the way plants spread could use some tweaking.  Anyone who plays on a larger map and goes through a Toxic Fallout will wind up with a map that's completely devoid of any wild plants except at the fringes, large fires out in the wilderness can prove unrecoverable for wild plants as well.  As the plants try to repopulate, they'll hit various barriers they won't spread past like hills, rough rock floors, desert sand, marshes/water, etc.  This will tend to make the majority of the map's outdoors interior completely barren for the remainder of the game.  Could the code for wild plants reseeding to be maybe tweaked a bit to make it easier for wild plants to cast their seeds over unplantable barriers (hills/rock/marsh/etc.)?  Really kinda sucks that an event will have everlasting effects like this.

Yea I'm going through beaver infestation right now grr can't find the beavers and they are eating my trees I want replanting of wild plants. Any beaver infestation is bad even songs.