Steam keys?

Started by webkilla, May 31, 2016, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webkilla

So, reading the latest dev blog, it says that I will not be able to get a steam key 'due to Valve policies'

I call bullshit - because games like Factorio, which also started out in non-steam early access, giving early adopters alpha builds... they have gone to steam, they have gotten steam keys (I have one of those) - and Factorio is listed on Steam as being in early access.

So please, I want to know exactly why I shouldn't be able to get a steam key once Rimworld opens up on the steam store.

JimmyAgnt007

Can the outrage and mind your manners.  If you bothered to read anything on the matter you wouldnt be so stupidly angry.  Tynan cant "promise" anything because of the legal-speak of valve due to past issues they have faced. 

Tynan can give out keys after the release, and he will, he just cant say it as a promise or guarantee until the release happens.

Admiral Obvious

I'd like to make a point here that nobody who has bought the game here is actually entitled to a Steam key.

I bought SPAZ, before I realized it was on Steam, as well as the original Gratuitous Space Battles, along with all of it's DLC. I was never given the opportunity to get the keys on Steam, and most likely never will for those games.

RazorHed

I was just going to buy it again on steam for fun ! 

falcongrey

Quote from: Admiral Obvious on May 31, 2016, 06:17:40 PM
I'd like to make a point here that nobody who has bought the game here is actually entitled to a Steam key.

I bought SPAZ, before I realized it was on Steam, as well as the original Gratuitous Space Battles, along with all of it's DLC. I was never given the opportunity to get the keys on Steam, and most likely never will for those games.

I've been in a similar situation and found myself without Steam keys on a game release. Personally, with all that Rimworld is I don't mind if I have to buy it again for a Steam copy.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Tynan

Valve's policies specifically prohibit selling keys to a game that isn't also for sale on Steam.

RimWorld isn't yet available on Steam, so I'm not allowed to sell keys for it.

If I promised a key to everyone who gave me $30, I'd be selling keys. I used to do this, and they emailed me and specifically told me to stop.

So, that's why I can't promise Steam keys to anyone.

However, Valve also seems to allow developers to give away as many keys as they like, after the game hits Steam. You're just not allowed to sell/promise them before the fact (for obvious reasons). So I don't.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

webkilla

Quote from: Tynan on June 01, 2016, 02:14:32 PM
Valve's policies specifically prohibit selling keys to a game that isn't also for sale on Steam.

RimWorld isn't yet available on Steam, so I'm not allowed to sell keys for it.

If I promised a key to everyone who gave me $30, I'd be selling keys. I used to do this, and they emailed me and specifically told me to stop.

So, that's why I can't promise Steam keys to anyone.

However, Valve also seems to allow developers to give away as many keys as they like, after the game hits Steam. You're just not allowed to sell/promise them before the fact (for obvious reasons). So I don't.

Fair enough

For Factorio, the dev just sent out keys to all the non-steam early adopters. Shouldn't be hard if you have a costumer list you can cross reference with costumer email addresses. Just spam some mail-keys out once its up on steam.

Btw, with the animal breeding and hydroponics in the game, then I'm missing some weird science bits: Like being able to science up a 'mix' of animal and plants, so you make a 'flesh plant' that produces meat instead of potato. Do you think something like that could make it into the game?

Tynan

Potatoes are a flesh plant! It's plant flesh.

But really, I think meat has to come from animals. Otherwise the distinction just becomes meaningless.

Anyway, suggestions are more for the Suggestions forum.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Nitro1248

Quote from: Tynan on June 01, 2016, 03:21:39 PM
Potatoes are a flesh plant! It's plant flesh.

But really, I think meat has to come from animals. Otherwise the distinction just becomes meaningless.

Anyway, suggestions are more for the Suggestions forum.

Soooo, we ARE going to get keys?
Your'
You're just not allowed to say, "you guys are gonna get keys because you bought the game"

God, this is like that game show where you are asked questions but not allowed to answer yer or no (nothing against you or valve)

webkilla

Quote from: Nitro1248 on June 02, 2016, 06:32:56 AM

You're just not allowed to say, "you guys are gonna get keys because you bought the game"

I think the trick is that until the game is actually available on steam - then Valve doesn't let you promise steam keys to anyone. Especially for indie-games like this, then development might stop for all kinds of fun reasons - so Valve probably doesn't like it if devs promise keys before there is a ready game on steam for those keys.

I suspect its chiefly an aspect of Valve's PR policy - because by preventing people from going "But I was promised a steam key" puts on the onus purely on the game dev, not on Steam and Valve.

milon

I think you're spot on, webkilla.

And don't forget about the official Ludeon Support page, which contains instructions for retrieving both your download link and Steam key (once available):
http://ludeon.com/blog/support/