Permanent Night

Started by ryandaniels, June 04, 2016, 07:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryandaniels

Hello, I'd really like to try a game of rimworld where there is no daytime. I feel like this probably has been have already been made but I couldn't find it. If it does, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me where to find it.

If it doesn't exist, I was hoping someone familiar with modding rimworld could point me in the right direction to make this mod myself, as it seems like it would be fairly easy. I'm an experienced programmer, but I've never modded rimworld before so I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

Jaxxa

I think that the way to do this would be to mod the Eclipse event.

Making it really common and last forever.

Toggle

Quote from: Jaxxa on June 04, 2016, 10:56:44 PM
I think that the way to do this would be to mod the Eclipse event.

Making it really common and last forever.

I'll whip up a quick mod of this.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Toggle

So I did the mod, but there seems to be a problem. It has the highest chance for it to be selected when choosing events, except something has to trigger events being chosen in the first place. So until that happens, it'll be sunlight, and it took quite a bit for it to finally happen when I tested it.

So my solution is to use the mod, and just use dev console to force the "Infinite Eclipse" event.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

damibonf

Oh gosh, now I fear a "Pitch Black" like situation just the opposite of the movie: scary monsters that come out with the sun, anyone?

milon

That's a cool idea.  Some kind of solar-powered gremlin or mech or something.

Toggle

Quote from: milon on June 08, 2016, 09:57:11 AM
That's a cool idea.  Some kind of solar-powered gremlin or mech or something.

That would be interesting. A mech that comes out of the sky, big troll monster mech, runs on solar power. The real interesting part would be if it slowly ran off energy, and that's what it's gun is, some kind of plasma energy cannon or turret. But so when it ran out of power, it would freeze and start using it's solar panels to recharge. It could still turn and shoot, just not walk. If possible, even fire weaker shots. Killing it would unlock 'blueprints' for creating the turret.

Now, that sounds like an rpg and I doubt that will really ever end up modded but eh.

The King of Nipples

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 05, 2016, 12:55:44 AM
So I did the mod, but there seems to be a problem. It has the highest chance for it to be selected when choosing events, except something has to trigger events being chosen in the first place. So until that happens, it'll be sunlight, and it took quite a bit for it to finally happen when I tested it.

So my solution is to use the mod, and just use dev console to force the "Infinite Eclipse" event.
Could you just open the debug menu and make the eclipse happen

Toggle

Quote from: The King of Nipples on June 09, 2016, 05:52:55 PM

Could you just open the debug menu and make the eclipse happen
Well yeah, that's what I said.

SmartererThanYou

Would there be a way to force the Infinite Eclipse event the moment the world generates automatically? As a supremely nooby modder (Still learning) would it be something like what crashlanding does with its event?

Toggle

Quote from: SmartererThanYou on June 11, 2016, 04:56:21 AM

Would there be a way to force the Infinite Eclipse event the moment the world generates automatically? As a supremely nooby modder (Still learning) would it be something like what crashlanding does with its event?

Not without C# I think, because it's not a function that is already in base-game. You can just pause right away and do it in dev console tho, so.

ryandaniels

Wow, thanks!