So tell me about bugs...

Started by Lerxst, June 08, 2016, 02:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lerxst

I've been taking a break from Rimworld for about a year. I heard they spawn in underground/hillside bases now. Really?

I suppose I don't have a problem with this, but I do have another question that's a part 2.

Do raiders still setup artillery across the map on occasion?

You see, I prefer playing the larger map sizes. This usually means it take hours fro a colonist to walk from one side to another, half a day or so for a round trip.

When I'd have an artillery camp setup on these maps, they'd spawn so far away, it was difficult to spot and even more difficult to get to. Then you take into account the ineptitude of the colonists and it was a painful experience trying to get rid of these raiders. If I didn't, well... hence my underground base building.

But now there are bugs? So I'm pretty much going to get brutalized by bugs, or exploded into mist by raiders?

How are you supposed to avoid either scenario?

GarettZriwin

Day length is doubled and days/month is halved. You need half food now(though gut worms can cancel that :P).

Bugs are not a problem as long you can simply shoot them dead and not engage meele, they spawn under mountain roof(You can remove some of it and place constructed) and eats walls spreading.

Aristocat

You can prevent spawn most of bugs in your colony by dig large cave OUTSIDE of your base. They spawn based on your wealth but spawn location is completely random and they scatter everywhere.

So for example, if you dig only 30 square under mountain roof, all of hive will spawn into that room and probably everyone in the room will be killed.

But if you dig 100 square inside colony and 300 square outside of your colony under mountain, 7 out of 10(66%) will spawn outside which is a lot more manageable.

Another possible tactic is hive cannot spawn in a location below -17c, so turn whole base into fridge will pretty much disable it.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Aristocat on June 08, 2016, 06:03:53 AM
So for example, if you dig only 30 square under mountain roof, all of hive will spawn into that room and probably everyone in the room will be killed.

But if you dig 100 square inside colony and 300 square outside of your colony under mountain, 7 out of 10(66%) will spawn outside which is a lot more manageable.

What? That goes against everything I have heard or seen with bug infestations so far. I have only seen or heard of them spawning under overhead mountain and thin roof as well I believe. My understanding is as long as you are under "contructed roof" you are safe. Is this wrong?

edit: and of course the thin roof can easily be made into constructed roof by making an unroofed area and then removing that I believe.

Lys

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on June 08, 2016, 07:09:46 AM

What? That goes against everything I have heard or seen with bug infestations so far. I have only seen or heard of them spawning under overhead mountain and thin roof as well I believe. My understanding is as long as you are under "contructed roof" you are safe. Is this wrong?
No it's not wrong and he also didn't say anything else?

Aristocat

edit: and of course the thin roof can easily be made into constructed roof by making an unroofed area and then removing that I believe.

Thin roof does not cause infestation.

7 hives spawned and none of it in my base. Fridge were -7c so they could have spawned inside, but they didn't.

Also anyone wearing armor vest pretty much never killed by bugs, just pass out from pain but bugs seems never really eat people, heh.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Lys on June 08, 2016, 07:51:26 AM

No it's not wrong and he also didn't say anything else?

Oh, thought he was saying 7 out of 10 would spawn in the outside (of under-mountain) area. On re-reading it, guess he meant dig a bunch of mountain that is not within your base?

milon

They spawn based on your wealth ...

I never heard that before.  Please provide a citation.

Bug spawning is also supposed to be affected by light (currently broken in A13, fixed for A14).  They dislike light and will try to spawn in dark areas.  So in A14 and beyond, keep your colony lit and have a dark cave elsewhere, as suggested by Aristocat.

Aristocat

Quote from: milon on June 08, 2016, 09:27:17 AM
They spawn based on your wealth ...

I never heard that before.  Please provide a citation.

I don't know why it even require citation, 7 hives spawned in my current colony with about 20 people with no bionic. About 30 hives spawned in previous colony with about 40 people with lots of bionics and power armor, which means they either scales off wealth or time.

milon

Time is a known factor that amps up negative events.  Also:

Quote from: milon on May 19, 2016, 10:35:40 AM
This is a really bad rumor that needs to die.  Raid points used to be heavily based on colony wealth.  Colony wealth is now only a minor factor.  The much, much larger factors are number of colonists and colony age.  Colony wealth isn't a big enough factor anymore to let it impact the way you play.  This was changed on September 5, 2014.

Therefore citation is needed.  Correlation is not causation.  And a single experience does not define a rule or trend.

b0rsuk

But you have a problem if your  base is the only heated under mountain area. Then it won't matter how many tiles you've dug out.

Bugs are territorial and don't chase too far from their hives. Hit and run attacks work very well against them.

If you can afford to start a fire, fire kills them and especially their hives very easily.

Yes, armor vests makes a death by bugs unlikely, but they still have a nasty habit of chopping off noses, ears, fingers, toes and even whole limbs. I think they can poke your eyes out too.

hwfanatic

I won't pretend to understand the bugs mechanic, but I've had them spawn in places that are not necessarily under a mountain (overhead). For example, on a flat map, I had a couple of rooms under a mountain roof, but the bugs kept appearing in random places all over the base. As for dealing with them, they are susceptible to fire. Lob a couple of Molotov cocktails their way while they aren't looking. It's going to be messy either way, so why not? :) Might not want to do that inside a mountain, though, unless you have a ventilation system in place.

Britnoth

Quote from: milon on June 08, 2016, 10:23:13 AM
Time is a known factor that amps up negative events.  Also:

Quote from: milon on May 19, 2016, 10:35:40 AM
This is a really bad rumor that needs to die.  Raid points used to be heavily based on colony wealth.  Colony wealth is now only a minor factor.  The much, much larger factors are number of colonists and colony age.  Colony wealth isn't a big enough factor anymore to let it impact the way you play.  This was changed on September 5, 2014.

Therefore citation is needed.  Correlation is not causation.  And a single experience does not define a rule or trend.

This is entirely wrong. Colony wealth is the overwhelming factor in a developed colony. Colonist count is a minor factor, and colony age is practically meaningless.

Citation: Assembly-CSharp.dll

Ant hives can spawn in areas that are natural roof, not just overhead mountain. So remove thin rock and replace with constructed whenever you can.

milon

^ Thank you, Britnoth.  I don't go into the assemblies at all, and I've never seen anyone make a coherent argument in favor of wealth still being dominant.  The direct quote I'm referring to is this: "Rebalanced storyteller to pay more attention to population and less to wealth, and to ramp up slower."

Are you saying that even with the storyteller changes Tynan made, wealth is still the dominating factor?

EDIT - subscribed to thread

Xav

Quote from: milon on June 09, 2016, 11:10:06 AM
^ Thank you, Britnoth.  I don't go into the assemblies at all, and I've never seen anyone make a coherent argument in favor of wealth still being dominant.  The direct quote I'm referring to is this: "Rebalanced storyteller to pay more attention to population and less to wealth, and to ramp up slower."

Are you saying that even with the storyteller changes Tynan made, wealth is still the dominating factor?

While I can not confirm if the original assertion is true, I have noticed a similar occurrence.

My first infestation had one hive...the second infestation had 2...then 3...then 5...and so on.  The factor I don't know, but it doesn't appear to be linear to me.  A slow growth quadratic perhaps?  One of you code gurus could probably find the equation in the code and settle this  8)